Any chiropractors going DO or MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

backman_y2k

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently practicing as a chiropractor. I'm considering leaving practice to go back to school. I'm think I will have to boost my overall GPA from a 2.78. I graduated with honors while in chiro school because I pushed myself for excellence while in school. However, while here I played too much fraternity instead of hitting the books. Any suggestions? I don't think I'm ready for the August MCAT and I think I'm going to withraw from the August MCAT and prepare myself. I need help.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking at the same thing. That GPA and a $5 will get you a happy meal. From everything I've seen you've got to pull some numbers around 3.0 science and 3.3 and high 20's MCAT to be considered. From what I have been told the D.C. degree is "favorable" in D.O. interviews, and not as big a factor in most M.D. interviews.

AACOMAS will figure g.p.a. differently than AMCAS so you need to go through the trouble of figuring undergrad g.p.a. broken down by science/non ...yada yada before you know which courses to retake. Many have suggested NOT doing a post graduate program and retaking just undergrad pre-req's just to boost G.P.A. Chiro school g.p.a will help show a trend but the undergrad is what they look at from what I'm told (go figure?) I would think a masters program makes more sense since you will benefit from it in case you crash on the MD/Do thing but it won't help boost the prior poor performance (sorry I wasn't sure if you said undergrad was 'da bomb' and chiro was 'bombed' or vice-versa).

If your single and debt free...go caribbean. If it were me...(and it might be soon) consider Dental school-your still advancing professionally and using your manual dexterity skills.

If you haven't taken the MCAT before, see if you can get into a prep class over the summer, then take the August MCAT. As long as you do better than average on the MCAT, you might get an interview a couple places. Be able to explain your low GPA, and just take upper level science classes this next year while you are applying to DO schools. If you haven't taken them already, take either Biochemistry, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Immunology, or Genetics......probably in that order. It will help a little bit in medical school, and will boost your overall GPA and science GPA.

Just apply...worse thing that can happen is "No," and if they say "Yes," then you'll be starting medical school in about a year from now....

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, I am not a chiropractor, but I was a non-traditional student working in the health care field with less than average stats when I applied to DO school. I got in on my first try...surprisingly....and just graduated.

Vince said:
By the way, I am not a chiropractor, but I was a non-traditional student working in the health care field with less than average stats when I applied to DO school. I got in on my first try...surprisingly....and just graduated.

Congratulations...Doctor!

Congrats Doc Vince :thumbup: I'm following in your footsteps starting in August.

OP: Look up BMW19. He is a currently practicing Chiro that is starting at GA PCOM this fall. He's a sharp guy that could answer your questions. Look in the Osteo forum.

Good luck to you!

What were your stats if you don't mind sharing? Thanks :)

chirodoc said:
What were your stats if you don't mind sharing? Thanks :)

chirodoc,

Are you asking me or someone else?

chad