Any Christian pre-dentals here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I just want to see if there are any Christians here who are applying for dental schools this cycle. My faith has been the biggest reason to pursue dentistry. I am just wondering how did your faith inspire you to pursue this career? Many you can list your name, so we may pray together and encourage each other in this process. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Yo man. How did my faith inspire me to pursue dentistry? In general I wanted to work with people of all ages, including families, and get to know them on a personal level. Dentistry will allow me to do so and also leave me enough free time to spend time with family and do service in the community. These type of Christian family values are what influenced my decision. So if you want to pray for diesels that I get into dental school, feel free...

Thats a pretty complex question.

It was at my church that I became good friends with a couple of dentists that have guided and inspired me to go into the field. I know that's not exactly directly linked to faith, but oh well.

On another level, I suppose my faith has instilled on me a sort of desire and a sense of obligation to serve others. My faith has often led me to go on various medical mission trips to less fortunate parts of the world. I feel if that if I were a dentist, I would have so much more to offer on these trips than I do now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a christian too :) Basically, my faith has kept me persisting, since I live alone and support myself alone with no other help, it can be a huge struggle to keep believing that you can achieve such a big goal. But I've basically given that battle up to God a long time ago and realized that with my strength alone, I'm a goner! But with God's strength, WOW, anything is possible! "I can do anything through Christ, who strengthens me!" Thank God for Bible verses such as these that keep us hanging in there ;)

hey everyone! aw, cute thread. :) and yes i'm Christian as well! i don't know if this really is God's calling for me, but i really figure...go until God stops you. i think our prayer should be that we really seek Him out, and to be content in whatever circumstances.

and yes i am really really interested in going on dental missions in the future! (has anyone gone on any/wants to go even w/o dental experience?)

also, is anyone thinking about applying to loma linda...? i'm not sure how seventh-day adventist coincides/contrasts w/ my non-denominational christian beliefs...?

Love this thread.
I have attended a largely 'mission-minded' church since I was born and always knew i really wanted to do something to help people. I went through some things that introduced me to dentistry and loved it. I realized it was a way i could help the poor and use the talents that God has given me to help others. I can't wait to be a dentist and go out and help others and share God's love with them at the same time!!!

My faith emphasizes the need to care for my fellow man. I think being a Christian or "Christ follower" is about following his example. Jesus was the most compassionate person the world has/or will ever know.:thumbup:

I just want to add that NYU has indicated me that they have received my application in completion.

hey everyone! aw, cute thread. :) and yes i'm Christian as well! i don't know if this really is God's calling for me, but i really figure...go until God stops you. i think our prayer should be that we really seek Him out, and to be content in whatever circumstances.

and yes i am really really interested in going on dental missions in the future! (has anyone gone on any/wants to go even w/o dental experience?)

also, is anyone thinking about applying to loma linda...? i'm not sure how seventh-day adventist coincides/contrasts w/ my non-denominational christian beliefs...?

I don't know if God has a particular interest in which career I choose. I feel I could be happy in many careers, and I feel that maybe in each one I would be able to do a certain amount of good. So I agree "go until God stops you." So if I don't get into dental school this time around, I'll give some serious thought and maybe reconsider some other options... but I think I'll get in.

I have not gone, but certainly wish to go on a dental mission. Of course, we can also do service in our own communities that can be just as valuable.

I am applying to Loma Linda, more because it's in SoCal than because of its religious affiliation. I am not sure what the environment there is like, to be honest. But I have lots of respect for members of that particular faith.

Hi! I'm christian too. The only thing that keep me strong through all these problems is my faith. Wish luck to everyone and God be with you!!

Im Buddhist but have been going to christian-private schools my whole life:confused:....weird huh?

Hey guys, I just wanted to join in, I am a non-denominational Christian as well. I am applying this year...well...was applying...I took the DAT on August 4th and scored pretty horribly...needless to say I might just reapply next year. Loma Linda told me today that they won't look at any applications with any DAT scores under 18-19. This was a pretty big heartbreaker. Ohwell. What can I do now...? I am toying with the idea of retaking the DAT in 90 days, but I will be into November by then and thats a little late. I called 4 schools and asked when is to late to retake the DAT by and they all said October.

Anyways, I feel that this is God telling me and my wife that we will stay here for another year...after all, He has the master plan!

Good luck to you guys and we should really keep this thread going...the last Christian themed thread got bashed...yet I don't see them bashing the other religious threads...hmmm...

Again good luck to everyone!

Hello guys,

I just want to see if there are any Christians here who are applying for dental schools this cycle. My faith has been the biggest reason to pursue dentistry. I am just wondering how did your faith inspire you to pursue this career? Many you can list your name, so we may pray together and encourage each other in this process. Thank you!

The reason what motivates a Christian is only one: to give glory to God by doing His work and His will.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love Jesus and I wish that all other religions might re-create the "true" God in his image...

I just figure he must have perfect teeth.

Religion is great if you give in easily to peer pressure.

The reason what motivates a Christian is only one: to give glory to God by doing His work and His will.

Why specifically call yourself a Christian? Who doesn't do this...this cliche that Christian's love just means you're going to live your life according to what you think God wants. But moreso, because you like organization better than the alternative.

God is nobody but yours other than strictly based on your own perception. Why give it a label...it's available to everyone...Buddhists, Muslims, atheists alike. Yes atheists.

But labels are good nowadays...we've got a lot of wars we need to fight. We need to keep Christianity #1 in the world by about 3/4 billion people. Where are the "atheists" in the mix of things? No way...pretty close.

America keeps trying for collectivism and it's still no stranger to SDN (hypothetically the brightest of the new G out there)...we still got some growing up to do.

What principles do you think America was founded on?

Good luck to you all.

i don't know if this really is God's calling for me, but i really figure...go until God stops you. i think our prayer should be that we really seek Him out, and to be content in whatever circumstances.QUOTE]

...I was pre-pharmacy, then pre-dental, then pre-pharmacy again..and look where I am again. What is my deal? Ilovemangoes, you said go until God stops you. ...That is exactly what I have been thinking too. I just need to do that. I just need to take my pre-reqs and just decide two years from now. I was pre-pharmacy because it only takes 4 years, and it was very appealing to me. Here's the story, ( I think it is a good read and may apply to someone who reads it)

This evening, I called walmart's pharmacy, and of course got an answering machine, and I almost pressed 0 to talk to someone who works there but instead I hung up the phone. A few days ago, I told my girlfriend (of almost 3 years) that I was changing to pharmacy. What is so amazing is that she was doing dental hygeine, because she wanted to work for me (yes, we will marry after undergrad), but I am now thinking that her doing dental hygeine was NOT on God's agenda. So, she changed from dental hygeine, to pre-pharmacy. Funny how God works huh? I am going to tell her that we both just need to stop worrying about what it is we want to do career wise, and that whatever God wants to happen...WILL HAPPEN. Who knows, she could end up applying to dental school with me! However, we both should just do pre-reqs, and seek God, and we can achieve our goals. The whole "4 years only of pharm school" was appealing, but I don't see myself doing that. It doesn't even interest me! It never did! So, that all being said, I found out in the past week that whenever you think YOU are in control, YOU are NOT, and God WILL stop you, not because he wants to control your life, rather he only wants to be a part of it. God wants me to stop being so infatuated with school. We all need to let God seriously be the top priority, and just slow down, and enjoy the time we have left as pre-professionals.
I thank you whoever started this thread. This thread was my U-Turn sign from God.

read

Galatians 6:4

thats all you need to know to get your inspiration :)

Reactions: 1 user
Another fellow Christian right here... and Canadian! SmoothOperator, I think you're Canadian, right?

Nice, sweet thread. Praying for all applicants! God's will be done.

Im Buddhist but have been going to christian-private schools my whole life:confused:....weird huh?

I feel you I have been agnostic (although baptized) and going to private catholic schools my whole life as well.

I know from my own and other non-Christians I know that catholics can be more accepting of other peoples beliefs. I have never been preached at by a catholic because of my beliefs. I can not say the same about other Christians I have met. I believe there is not just one way to be connected with a higher power, and anyone who says otherwise is selling something.

Hey guys this is my first real post here, but I felt inspired to post in this section. I guess I would like the comradery of fellow christian pre-profs.

Anyway, I'm 26, a registered nurse that decided to go back to school for dentistry. I've worked really hard and have a 3.75 gpa and 3.67 in sciences. I'm taking my DAT september 20.

I've just been hit with some major things this month. Part of the reason I am going to dental school is to help my family. They have nothing. Anyway, a couple days ago I found out my sister has been on drugs for almost a year, and made some other very bad decisions (a huge shock). Also, my parents might lose their house in october. I myself am down to no money at all after the application cycle, helping my parents, and paying my mortgage.

Anyways, I was trying to come up with money for my secondary applications today, but received a speeding ticket of $188. I know it was my fault, but it was just a big disappointment on top of everything else. After all this, I'm trying to find the strength to study for my DAT and it's hard. So I just need prayer, a lot of it. Sorry about the sob story and how long it was, and thanx for any prayer you do on my behalf!

Ya, I am applying to Loma Linda and happen to be an SDA. I would be glad to answer any questions you have. Being SDA or a christian for that matter, never guarantees you trouble-free life though, lol (you can read my above post). I'm sure many of you can vouch for that.

Why specifically call yourself a Christian? Who doesn't do this...this cliche that Christian's love just means you're going to live your life according to what you think God wants. But moreso, because you like organization better than the alternative.

God is nobody but yours other than strictly based on your own perception. Why give it a label...it's available to everyone...Buddhists, Muslims, atheists alike. Yes atheists.

But labels are good nowadays...we've got a lot of wars we need to fight. We need to keep Christianity #1 in the world by about 3/4 billion people. Where are the "atheists" in the mix of things? No way...pretty close.

America keeps trying for collectivism and it's still no stranger to SDN (hypothetically the brightest of the new G out there)...we still got some growing up to do.

What principles do you think America was founded on?

Good luck to you all.

A pastor once said, "All roads of faith will lead to God.....His judgement. Only one way will lead to salvation....faith in Jesus Christ." Though our salvation is freely given by God's grace when we have faith in His son, it is only by working for His glorious kingdom through the Holy Spirit can we lead a Christian life pleasing to God.

Just wanted to add...great post and I love seeing the work of the Lord, in any situation. I'm a first-year at the University of Louisville and just wanted to say that if you put your trust in God, he'll show you the right way. Good luck with the application process and remember where you came from to get you to this point. If I can help in any way, just let me know. All the best.

Trusting in God, Makes all things possible (All things through Christ is possible) I wish everybody luck in here. Christian and Non, Believers and Non. God selects the people right for his duty. Keep the faith alive

I don't know if this is active anymore, but I've been doing some searching to find christian predental/dental people. I myself am christian and have chosen the predental path. But my biggest obstacle right now is "why dentistry?" And I really don't have a strong explanation for it. I feel because I'm really unable to answer this question I don't have a strong motivation for going to dentistry.

At the same time, Dentistry is what I want to do, For the most part I felt that this was what God wanted me to do in order that I use my skills to spread the gospel. That being said, faith is all I have as a reason for dentistry.

I know this is all you need, but literally in terms of applying for dental school, If I could get some help on writing the SoP, or how others wrote them. Dentistry itself hasn't had a strong impact on my life, its just what I ended up choosing based on my growing faith and perception.

I feel because I'm really unable to answer this question I don't have a strong motivation for going to dentistry.

At the same time, Dentistry is what I want to do, For the most part I felt that this was what God wanted me to do in order that I use my skills to spread the gospel. That being said, faith is all I have as a reason for dentistry.

:eek: You should make damn well sure that you can enjoy dentistry before you even think about applying!

Here is another Christian Pre Dent. I will be praying for everyone in the application process!

Sorry if this comes across negative..

First off, what skills do you have that pertains to dentistry? Secondly, if its spreading the word, just go to seminary.

You not being able to answer the "why dentistry" question doesn't sound like you have given it much thought. Other than how can I spread the word, which I previously answered.

Good luck!

I don't know if this is active anymore, but I've been doing some searching to find christian predental/dental people. I myself am christian and have chosen the predental path. But my biggest obstacle right now is "why dentistry?" And I really don't have a strong explanation for it. I feel because I'm really unable to answer this question I don't have a strong motivation for going to dentistry.

I know this is all you need, but literally in terms of applying for dental school, If I could get some help on writing the SoP, or how others wrote them. Dentistry itself hasn't had a strong impact on my life, its just what I ended up choosing based on my growing faith and perception.

Look your going to need a more practical reason for the why dentistry question. For me I said that I liked the one on one work with patients, lack of overbearing administrators and insurance companies, the hours allow me to raise a family, working with my hands ect. and for the most part thats the truth! You could probably add that it gives you the ability to heal people? I am christian and interviewed at Loma Linda. God came up only in reference to my personal religousity and never in my goals in outreach. And frankly you will scare alot of potential patients away if they do not share your passion for Jesus. As a dentist in service of others your #1 goal should be to heal them not convert them. professionalism first!
By setting a good example you can win the hearts and minds of people.