Any Columbia student can comment on housing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tjdent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Im considering Columbia, but at my interview I didn't have a chance to walk around the neighborhood much or check out the housing. Does everyone pretty much live in the grad housing? Is it difficult to get into the student housing? Is there one specific building that you recommend? Is the area around there safe to walk back to at night from the school? Is the grad housing far from the school? What are the actual apartments like? (i couldnt find pics online) Thanks so much.

TJdent

Members don't see this ad.

Hey TJdent, since you are from out of town, you should be able to get assigned student housing without any trouble. Sometimes it is kinda random though, so there's no absolute guarantees to whether you'll get housing or which housing option you'll end up having, but i wouldn't worry too much. In terms of the housing recommendations, the Towers is the most popular option. You'll typically have 2 or 3 suitemates in towers, and it's in an apartment suite arrangement with a livingroom, kitchen, individual rooms etc. If you have windows facing the Hudson river, the view is quite spectacular (best view of GW Bridge anywhere). The rooms are quite large, and the buildings are well maintained. Also, if you are assigned in the Towers, you'll most likely get roomates who are in the dental school as well, so that's always helpful. The other great housing option is Georgian, which located right across the street above the nursing school. it's alot closer than the towers, which is approximately 5 minutes away, but the building is older, and you won't really get the nice views you might get at the Towers. Rent is pretty cheap however considering what you may typically pay in the city (around 600-700 per month) and the apartment is prefurnished. The rooms in Georgian are very big, but that varies depending on what living arrangement you get. Another housing option you may end up getting is Bard Hall, which is single room dorm style with common hallway, bathroom etc. Not the most popular option, but it's the cheapest, and probably more social than the apartment style housing. The gym is also located in the basement of Bard Hall, so it's really convenient if you're into working out (really helps when you don't really feel like going outside during the winter) Bard is located right closeby the Towers, so it's also a 5 minute walk, but its really not too far, and the area is generally quite safe with security presence all around campus. Still, there are still occasional incidents so if you can avoid walking alone late at night, it would be advisable.

Any more questions, feel free

Thanks for the info. Those Towers sound really good for Manhattan housing. So it sounds like you dont get to choose your roommate and you don't have total control over the building that you live in? am i right in thinking that you are more like placed there by the school? Also, one smaller thing, are there grocery stores right around the area that you can just walk to? or how do you guys usual shop?

if you already know somebody in the school and want to room with them, i'm sure something can be worked out, but generally, it's kinda random especially for incoming students. If you have any specific requests, i'm sure the housing office can accommodate you for it.

as far as grocery shopping, it's fairly convenient. there's a supermarket right nearby school on 170th called Gristedes, but it's fairly expensive. There's also a supermarket called Fairway on 131st that you can get to with free shuttle. Many students also use FreshDirect to order, so there are definitely plenty of options to choose from.