Any Cook County people out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BellKicker

Twisted Miler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the class of 2011 (starting next summer).

Anyone else out there? Either PM me or respond here.

Thanks,

BK

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the class of 2011 (starting next summer).

Anyone else out there? Either PM me or respond here.

Thanks,

BK

Hey BK, I matched at Cook County this year to. Will be doing my prelim there starting this June as well. I'm excited as I have heard great things about the place and was impressed during the interview. Am currently trying to find some apartments near by to live in (any suggestions?). There are a couple of upper years who post on the board regularly. Nice to meet you.

Yo...you guys will have fun at County. Studentdoc...can't believe they convinced you to the prelim year at County ;) . It's gonna be a busy year for you.

Anyways, as far as suggestions for where to live, I'd stay away from the area immediately surrounding the hospital. It's far from ideal. If you can handle the commute, living further north (Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wriggleyville) are all great areas to look. A little more on the pricey side, but worth living in those areas since they have so much to do there. The South Loop is closer, and very up and coming. Check it out too.

You guys are going to be part of a great program. The faculty is top notch!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yo...you guys will have fun at County. Studentdoc...can't believe they convinced you to the prelim year at County ;) . It's gonna be a busy year for you.

Anyways, as far as suggestions for where to live, I'd stay away from the area immediately surrounding the hospital. It's far from ideal. If you can handle the commute, living further north (Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wriggleyville) are all great areas to look. A little more on the pricey side, but worth living in those areas since they have so much to do there. The South Loop is closer, and very up and coming. Check it out too.

You guys are going to be part of a great program. The faculty is top notch!

LOL yeah the prelim medicine dept makes themselves seem pretty benign on interview day. They say all kinds of things like there is no prerounding, no overnight call, 3-4 months of free electives, they love having the EM people around, everyone is so nice etc etc but deep down inside I knew what I was getting into :laugh:

Oh well truth is I had no idea I would actualy be ranking 2 pgy 2-4 programs in my top 3, so my application didn't have a separate personal statement, an IM chairman letter, or any non-SLORs for that matter. I'm just glad I didn't have to scramble into a prelim spot and I won't have to move twice. I didn't really want a 'cush' prelim year either. All in all I think I'll learn a lot even though it will be painful.

check your pm, bellkicker...

i live in west loop, it's about 2 miles from county. also what you might call up and coming - there are new buildings going up constantly and new restaurants/bars quite regularly. it's just about all condos, and the apartments are overpriced so if you look in this area check craigslist or the chicago reader for condos for rent, or hell buy if you got it like that (i don't!!!). my commute is minimal and i have a heated garage spot. i can get on the bus/El and be out in LP/WP/bucktown in no time. people in the program live just about anywhere you could imagine - LP, lakeview, WP/bucktown and further north, a few others here in west loop, south loop, hyde park and further south, and various suburbs. don't forget river north/gold coast/old town too - also good nightlife without a bad commute.

hey, im one of the juniors (soon to be intermediates) but yeah, feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the programs or the actual city itself (ii've been in chicago my whole life).

have fun.

I live in Pilsen, just about 8 blocks south of County. It's one to two stops (depending where you get on) from CC on the El, or a 4 minute bike ride. The rent is tough to beat & there are loads of great places to eat. It's the sort of neighborhood where you'll have plenty of opportunities to practice your Spanish, which I like, but that may not be for everybody. I've lived there for 2 years & I'm not planning on moving any time soon.

Wow you guys are right the apts are overpriced... i guess renting a condo is the better way to go. West Loop seems real nice but Pilsen looks like it has some great deals. Taylor St. area also seems pretty convenient. Thanks for the heads up guys. Im gonna be doing a lot of searching.