Current Ross Student (M4) - Ask Me Anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S R K

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a current Ross student about to finish up my 4th year and applying for the 2023 match in Internal Medicine. I used to frequently visit these forums a few years ago to look for answers and feedback about Caribbean schools. I just wanted to reach out and help answer any questions people may have about attending Ross or any other Caribbean School for that matter, in the most honest and forthcoming way possible.

Ask away!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
You are finishing your 4th year and yet are not applying until next year?
We have 3 start dates/year so I started January 2019 and I finish my last elective this November

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you add the three start dates of students together, how many students were in your (year's) class?
The September class generally has the largest (400-500) students, while January and May have around 150-200 students.

Before you ask, about 40-50% of my class failed 1st semester, after that generally 10-20% fail semesters 2-4/5. These are obviously just estimates, But less than 50% of the class I started with is finishing with me. This is because they dropped out/took longer to study for step exams/failed multiple semesters. When I was doing basic sciences, if we failed a semester we get to take a remediation exam and if we pass we can move on to the next semester. If we fail that exam you have to repeat the semester. If you fail again, you are dismissed and have to appeal to stay in the school. However, just anecdotally I've heard of people repeating up to 3 times, but its a case by case basis.

Students who drop out generally enroll at other lesser known Caribbean schools like AUA, MUA or leave medicine altogether.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi, I'm a current Ross student about to finish up my 4th year and applying for the 2023 match in Internal Medicine. I used to frequently visit these forums a few years ago to look for answers and feedback about Caribbean schools. I just wanted to reach out and help answer any questions people may have about attending Ross or any other Caribbean School for that matter, in the most honest and forthcoming way possible.

Ask away!
Hey thanks for this. Applied to Ross, application sent to committee since Mid May 2022. How long is the timeline hearing back?. I know students can track on their website but they having issues with that. I hate to ask admin too soon for an update. Thanks

Hey thanks for this. Applied to Ross, application sent to committee since Mid May 2022. How long is the timeline hearing back?. I know students can track on their website but they having issues with that. I hate to ask admin too soon for an update. Thanks
Personally when I applied the let me know about an interview in about a week. I would reach out to them if you don't hear anything in the next week or two. Generally they give everyone an interview.

Having gone through what you have would you still recommend Ross/a Carib school? What should a student know before attending?

Reactions: 1 user
Personally when I applied the let me know about an interview in about a week. I would reach out to them if you don't hear anything in the next week or two. Generally they give everyone an interview.
Thanks yes went through the interview process already Mid May. Will send an email follow-up.

How was your experience with clinical rotation?

How was your experience with clinical rotation?
Pretty broad question but, it really depends on which hospital you're placed at. For the most part they are hospitals where IMGs are also residents so I don't think they treat us any differently from US grads. I am currently doing an elective at Kern Medical Center in Bakersfield,CA right now and a lot of the faculty are from UCLA. I did my 3rd year in NY at multiple hospitals and I would say rotations are what you make out of them, if you are interested to learn and be hands on and ask questions you will learn a lot

Having gone through what you have would you still recommend Ross/a Carib school? What should a student know before attending?
Probably not unless you know that medicine is the only thing you want to do and you can't see yourself in any other field, and you've tried applying to US schools multiple times.

People should know that the chances are you will probably end up in IM/FM (which I was fine with) in not the most desirable programs, and to be ready to work really hard and do nothing but study. And that you really have to be resilient because the administration often doesnt have the best interest for students in mind.

Reactions: 3 users
Pretty broad question but, it really depends on which hospital you're placed at. For the most part they are hospitals where IMGs are also residents so I don't think they treat us any differently from US grads. I am currently doing an elective at Kern Medical Center in Bakersfield,CA right now and a lot of the faculty are from UCLA. I did my 3rd year in NY at multiple hospitals and I would say rotations are what you make out of them, if you are interested to learn and be hands on and ask questions you will learn a lot

Probably not unless you know that medicine is the only thing you want to do and you can't see yourself in any other field, and you've tried applying to US schools multiple times.

People should know that the chances are you will probably end up in IM/FM (which I was fine with) in not the most desirable programs, and to be ready to work really hard and do nothing but study. And that you really have to be resilient because the administration often doesnt have the best interest for students in mind.

Did you have to wait for a rotation spot to open or once you pass step 1 you can start your clinical rotation immediately?

Did you have to wait for a rotation spot to open or once you pass step 1 you can start your clinical rotation immediately?
Nowadays most people do get rotations within a couple of months of passing step 1. However, during the height of the pandemic it was a completely different story. I took and passed step 1 in May 2020 and was not able to start rotations until January 2021. This was because students were kicked out of rotations and the school was putting them back in based on seniority. But that shouldn’t be an issue now, all of our rotations sites are back

Members don't see this ad :)

Ask away!
How hard is it to get a family medicine residency if you apply super broadly and have no geographical restrictions? I am considering applying for Ross, but just wanted to know how realistic it is to get FM. Also how many hours a day would you say you need to study to be successful? Do most of the people who drop just lack the ability to consistently study a smaller amount every day over a long period of time and instead they try to cram or is the program really that hard? Finally r u desi, just wondering from the SRK name lol

How hard is it to get a family medicine residency if you apply super broadly and have no geographical restrictions? I am considering applying for Ross, but just wanted to know how realistic it is to get FM. Also how many hours a day would you say you need to study to be successful? Do most of the people who drop just lack the ability to consistently study a smaller amount every day over a long period of time and instead they try to cram or is the program really that hard? Finally r u desi, just wondering from the SRK name lol
72% of students from Ross either go into IM or FM, so I would say if you have no board failures and apply broadly, you should hopefully be able to get a residency somewhere in FM or IM. However, failing a single board exam is most likely game over but I have seen people match with a board failure.

Personally, I didn't go to class unless it was a mandatory clinical activity that day, most days I would start at 10am and then work until maybe 8-9pm with some breaks for dinner and exercise in between, probably 7-8 hours of studying per day most days. This would consist of watching lectures and taking notes, making flashcards, and review.

Most of the people who drop out shouldn't be there in the first place, they probably thought it was okay to be partying or going out with friends every night. It honestly isn't THAT hard to pass every semester as long as you put in the work, the school is not trying to actively fail out its students to make money. No it is not a small amount you have to study every day, it is quite a lot of material every day, hundreds of slides daily in fact. If you get behind by a single day it is A LOT of catching up to do, so you really need to consistently work hard every day and make sure you at least watch and review the lectures from that day.

Yeah lol im Pakistani

72% of students from Ross either go into IM or FM, so I would say if you have no board failures and apply broadly, you should hopefully be able to get a residency somewhere in FM or IM. However, failing a single board exam is most likely game over but I have seen people match with a board failure.

Personally, I didn't go to class unless it was a mandatory clinical activity that day, most days I would start at 10am and then work until maybe 8-9pm with some breaks for dinner and exercise in between, probably 7-8 hours of studying per day most days. This would consist of watching lectures and taking notes, making flashcards, and review.

Most of the people who drop out shouldn't be there in the first place, they probably thought it was okay to be partying or going out with friends every night. It honestly isn't THAT hard to pass every semester as long as you put in the work, the school is not trying to actively fail out its students to make money. No it is not a small amount you have to study every day, it is quite a lot of material every day, hundreds of slides daily in fact. If you get behind by a single day it is A LOT of catching up to do, so you really need to consistently work hard every day and make sure you at least watch and review the lectures from that day.

Yeah lol im Pakistani
Thanks for the reply. Did you ever consider the Atlantic bridge program in Ireland when you were looking at international schools and the Caribbean? I believe it has fairly the same match stats as the Caribbean, but it is not in a third world country and doesn't weed people out so I believe it could be a better option?

Thanks for the reply. Did you ever consider the Atlantic bridge program in Ireland when you were looking at international schools and the Caribbean? I believe it has fairly the same match stats as the Caribbean, but it is not in a third world country and doesn't weed people out so I believe it could be a better option?
Personally I have not done much research on the Atlantic Bridge program, sorry cannot help you there :(

what's your step1/2 score?
230/232

Hiii! How’s the living situation! Any tips for what I should try and do in order to feel at home and all there. Really looking forward to going in September!

Edit: I hear a lot of coverley I believe???

Hiii! How’s the living situation! Any tips for what I should try and do in order to feel at home and all there. Really looking forward to going in September!

Yes, the housing community for students on Barbados is Coverley. Basically the students stay in houses in coverley village which are either 3 or 4 bedroom. In the coverley town center there is a grocery store called Massy which is within walking distance from all the houses. There is also a gym, plenty of restaurants like Chinese, rotisserie chicken, pizza, smoothies, ice cream, and free buses which take you from coverley to campus and also on weekends it will take you to the mall and downtown Barbados as well for free. Grocery store is usually always stocked with everything you may need. There are also other grocery stores on the Island and actually another (larger) Massy grocery store and a mall (with a Burger King and Subway) right across the street from campus.

Housing in Coverley is expensive as h*ll though. When I was in Barbados 3 years ago students would need to appeal if they wanted to live off campus. But for the most part if you do live in Coverley, everything you need is walking distance, and if you want to go anywhere else on island there are plenty of taxi drivers who can give you a ride there.

Current M3 at Ross and I'm adding on to what S R K has mentioned.
Yes, the housing community for students on Barbados is Coverley. Basically the students stay in houses in coverley village which are either 3 or 4 bedroom. In the coverley town center there is a grocery store called Massy which is within walking distance from all the houses. There is also a gym, plenty of restaurants like Chinese, rotisserie chicken, pizza, smoothies, ice cream, and free buses which take you from coverley to campus and also on weekends it will take you to the mall and downtown Barbados as well for free. Grocery store is usually always stocked with everything you may need. There are also other grocery stores on the Island and actually another (larger) Massy grocery store and a mall (with a Burger King and Subway) right across the street from campus.

So, I was there briefly before covid hit in 2020 and we all got a chance to go home. The only convenience is the bus to campus and a grocery store nearby (massy). The restaurants there are kinda bad. I didn't even want to try the Chinese place because a lot of my classmates had food poisoning. I did buy the boba from there and it was really really bad. The Chicken barn burger place was kinda bad too. There's also poke / Japanese place and it was just as bad. The only somewhat decent place is the pizza one.

The Massy is kinda expensive for no reason. They know they can charge higher prices there because we have no means of transportation to a "better" grocery store unless it's the weekends. It's also hard to find specific things that you would want to eat. For me, I love eating rice, but they didn't have the rice that I enjoy at the Massy. I had to go to another supermarket like 20 mins away for it. Nearby the school campus, there's a mall called skymall where they also have a Massy there. They also have a food court with different cuisines there including burger king. Honestly, the BK was the only similar thing that was to the USA. I would eat there a few times a week.

I heard things changed a lot since I've been there, such as they opened a Starbucks there now. The campus is actually a part of the government facility/building, but the area where they dedicated for Ross students are actually nice. It's rumored that they are trying to build a new campus, but idk what's the progress on that. It would be nice if it was closer to coverely because currently with traffic it takes 45-60 mins to get to campus.

Housing in Coverley is expensive as h*ll though. When I was in Barbados 3 years ago students would need to appeal if they wanted to live off campus. But for the most part if you do live in Coverley, everything you need is walking distance, and if you want to go anywhere else on island there are plenty of taxi drivers who can give you a ride there.

Starting your 2nd semester, you can opt out of living at coverely but you would have to figure out your own transportation to school (unless you lived close to coverely and can just hop on the bus). The airport is nearby too. Honestly, one thing that I wished I had done more before covid hit was going to the beaches. The beaches are nice af. I went like 3-4 times but it's always so nice.

However, I will say there is a lot of sh** that the admins will throw at you. I went through a lot during the 2 years of basic sciences. They threw so many last minute things at my class last minute and expected us to make it work/perform. We were the "first" class to try out their new curriculum, so they didn't really care. It was hell and it truly never gets easier. A lot of the good professors left because they felt "unsupported" and unappreciated and the admins did nothing but make their lives harder than it really is. We had faculty professors who worked there for over 10 years leave one by one. My professor faculty mentor also left and they even stated that they were kinda blind sighted. They are left in the dark as students are during the covid situation and much more. I think three or four of the good professors left to start up their own Caribbean med school in the Bahamas LOL. That's how bad it is.

I had a small taste of the new professors that were coming in. They were trash compared to the old ones. Idk maybe you'll have a different experience MM05, but I would say if you can try to exhaust all your options in the US first before going here. You will be better in the US overall.

I didn't even want to try the Chinese place because a lot of my classmates had food poisoning. I did buy the boba from there and it was really really bad. here's also poke / Japanese place and it was just as bad.
Dragon House and Miso were my two favorite places at the square lmao.

Current M3 at Ross and I'm adding on to what S R K has mentioned.

So, I was there briefly before covid hit in 2020 and we all got a chance to go home. The only convenience is the bus to campus and a grocery store nearby (massy). The restaurants there are kinda bad. I didn't even want to try the Chinese place because a lot of my classmates had food poisoning. I did buy the boba from there and it was really really bad. The Chicken barn burger place was kinda bad too. There's also poke / Japanese place and it was just as bad. The only somewhat decent place is the pizza one.

The Massy is kinda expensive for no reason. They know they can charge higher prices there because we have no means of transportation to a "better" grocery store unless it's the weekends. It's also hard to find specific things that you would want to eat. For me, I love eating rice, but they didn't have the rice that I enjoy at the Massy. I had to go to another supermarket like 20 mins away for it. Nearby the school campus, there's a mall called skymall where they also have a Massy there. They also have a food court with different cuisines there including burger king. Honestly, the BK was the only similar thing that was to the USA. I would eat there a few times a week.

I heard things changed a lot since I've been there, such as they opened a Starbucks there now. The campus is actually a part of the government facility/building, but the area where they dedicated for Ross students are actually nice. It's rumored that they are trying to build a new campus, but idk what's the progress on that. It would be nice if it was closer to coverely because currently with traffic it takes 45-60 mins to get to campus.

Starting your 2nd semester, you can opt out of living at coverely but you would have to figure out your own transportation to school (unless you lived close to coverely and can just hop on the bus). The airport is nearby too. Honestly, one thing that I wished I had done more before covid hit was going to the beaches. The beaches are nice af. I went like 3-4 times but it's always so nice.

However, I will say there is a lot of sh** that the admins will throw at you. I went through a lot during the 2 years of basic sciences. They threw so many last minute things at my class last minute and expected us to make it work/perform. We were the "first" class to try out their new curriculum, so they didn't really care. It was hell and it truly never gets easier. A lot of the good professors left because they felt "unsupported" and unappreciated and the admins did nothing but make their lives harder than it really is. We had faculty professors who worked there for over 10 years leave one by one. My professor faculty mentor also left and they even stated that they were kinda blind sighted. They are left in the dark as students are during the covid situation and much more. I think three or four of the good professors left to start up their own Caribbean med school in the Bahamas LOL. That's how bad it is.

I had a small taste of the new professors that were coming in. They were trash compared to the old ones. Idk maybe you'll have a different experience MM05, but I would say if you can try to exhaust all your options in the US first before going here. You will be better in the US overall.

Thank you so much!

I live in Miami so I was definitely probably going to be eating a lot of riceee lol but thank you for the heads up! I appreciate it!

Okay, thank you!! I appreciate you’re help :)

And that you really have to be resilient because the administration often doesnt have the best interest for students in mind.
Could you elaborate on this? What do you mean they often don't have the best interest for students in mind? Also, how is the internet on the island and what happens with hurricanes that have the island in their pathway?

Could you elaborate on this? What do you mean they often don't have the best interest for students in mind? Also, how is the internet on the island and what happens with hurricanes that have the island in their pathway?
Not OP, but i can elaborate more on that. Admins are only looking out for themselves. For example, during covid, they told us we have one week to get the proper documentation to be excused from going back to campus. Otherwise, we'd have to go back to campus during the peak of covid cases. They decided to do some curriculum changes and didn't tell us til the start of the semester. They expected us to understand from the start. My cohort was the guinea pig for a lot of their new curriculum changes and there werent much support for us. They also told my cohort that we didn't have to worry about COMP/CBSE at the end of 4X or 5C, but then when we got there, they decided to bring it back and announced it at the start of the semester. No transition period at all. It's literally one thing after another. It's a never ending cycle and they always have something else for us.

Internet on the island is chill. It's not too bad. I can do everything and watch videos fine. Can't speak of a hurricane since I wasn't there when a hurricane hit. But for the most part, they will always recommend you keep a large box of emergency food and water. I would recommend having at least a week worth of dry, non perishable goods + water. If you want to be safe, do 1 month.

You’ll easily match to a nice university program with those stats SRK…..old-time Ross grad here (2006). I have a cush outpatient gig in a very nice midwestern city and make about $310k yearly (Psychiatry). Ross will give you a pathway.

Lol I can definitely relate to the constant changes to the curriculum. During my last semester on the island in Fall 2019 is when they got rid of the CBSE as a requirement for us to pass, im surprised they brought it back!

Can any current student speak to how grading works now? Back when I was there it was still the MPS/MPEL system where we had to get a certain % in each subject as well as a certain percent overall, but after I left It seems like they got rid of MPELs?

I never really experience food poisoning when I was there (thankfully) but yes Massy is really expensive, box of cereal ran me like $8 USD lmao. I heard there are more restaurants in Coverley now and would love to know if they are good. Honestly, I think I liked the Pasta they served at the coffee bean on campus and the pizza in Coverely, wasn't a big fan of the Chinese place tbh lol.
Oh and during my last semester on the island during finals week, the electricity on the whole island went out and it felt like the entire student body was at LESC (campus) because it still had power

Last edited:
You’ll easily match to a nice university program with those stats SRK…..old-time Ross grad here (2006). I have a cush outpatient gig in a very nice midwestern city and make about $310k yearly (Psychiatry). Ross will give you a pathway.
Thanks for the encouragement! I am doing pretty good with interviews right now (have gotten 20+) so hoping and praying for the best in the match in a few months!

Lol I can definitely relate to the constant changes to the curriculum. During my last semester on the island in Fall 2019 is when they got rid of the CBSE as a requirement for us to pass, im surprised they brought it back!
Yes, that's why we were mad. When we started, they were like don't worry about it and then lmao they told us it's back out of nowhere. It was annoying because if we had known it was gonna come back, a lot of us would have prepared for it a lot sooner. Unfortunately, that change set me back because I didnt study enough for the CBSE and focused mostly on the Ross mini and final. They brought it back because there was an increased number of students who failed Step 1. I heard it dipped down to 87% first time pass rate whereas before they boasted about a 92% or something first time pass rate. Honestly, it was a blessing in disguise because without CBSE, i don't think I would have passed Step 1 on my first try. Passing on your first try is extremely important. It helped me identify my weak areas, but nonetheless, it was annoying af.
Can any current student speak to how grading works now? Back when I was there it was still the MPS/MPEL system where we had to get a certain % in each subject as well as a certain percent overall, but after I left It seems like they got rid of MPELs?
I mentioned that my class was the first class to be introduced to the new curriculum and when I mean new, there were a lot of changes. Instead of doing all of anatomy in your first semester, it is spread across 2 semesters for X track and 3 semesters if you're in the C track. However, there is no more X track from what I heard but that change was implemented after i left basic sciences. Because of these changes, they also moved the organ systems around. I think they moved endocrine from Semester 2 to Semester 1. But by semester 3 or 4, I think everything returned back to how it was originally.

They also added more "group work" into the semesters. First was something called Formative Assessment (FA). This made up 1-2% of your overall semester grade. It was a series of 8-12 questions as a quiz. There are two components to the grading: your score on the quiz and your attendance. Score on the quiz wasn't that hard. I think you only had to get above 30% to get full points in that category. Attendance is easy as you just have to attend those sessions (which were 2 hours or longer). These were easy points IMO.

Around my fourth semester, they added in what other US med schools have. Problem based learning or Team based learning which is what Ross calls it. TBL is such a waste of time. But it's essentially, you doing a quiz on your own and you get a grade on it. Your individual quiz score is 25% of your overall TBL grade. Then you get assigned a group and you guys take the same quiz again. The group's score makes up 75% of your grade. When TBL was introduced, it was 1% of your grade and Formative Assessment went from 2% to 1% to adjust for it.

Idk how many Mini you guys had in the past, but there are three Mini and one final exam. The three Mini are like 20%+ while the final exam is 29-30%. I remember during semester 3 during the microbio and autonomic pharm block, the mini was worth 29% of your grade. I didn't like the grading distribution because if you mess up, you're kinda doomed.

MPEL did get removed, so you didn't have to meet a certain percentage for each subject. Your grade at the end is made up of 3 Minis, 1 Final, FA scores, and TBL score. If you're taking anatomy, then it makes up part of your grade as well like 3-5% of your grade. Only in Semester 2 with neuroanatomy lab, it was 15%. MPS still exists and it functions pretty much the same. Your overall grade in the semester has to be higher than what the MPS is. I know my last semester MPS was around 64-65, so idk how that is in comparison to your class.

I'm sure there are more changes that are happening at Ross, but this was when i was in basic sciences and I'm not anymore. idk if any other student who is currently in basic sciences can share if there are any other new changes.

Personally I have not done much research on the Atlantic Bridge program, sorry cannot help you there :(

230/232

Personally, I would go through Atlantic bridge program. I went to Ireland myself. I also know tons of people who went to Carribean schools as well. I have several reasons:

1. People rarely drop out of an Irish medical school or are forced to drop out as an IMG
2. Irish medical schools are more prestigious and reputation is generally better
3. The match rates in Carribean schools are well known to be false. They kick out. half their student or just put them on academic limbo if they cannot pass the mock USMLE. The match rates for Irish schools are really good. In my year, 2-3 did not match but matched the second year.
4. My Irish IMG match to better programs overall - Hopkins, Mayo, Canadian residencies ... etc
5. More stringent admission criteria and better teaching. I know this because my friend is in a mid to top tier carribean school
6. The only downside to Irish medical schools is that the clinical and hands on experience is much more limited. This is because residency programs are generally longer. The R1 year is basically the equivalent of 4th year medical school in North America. We make up for this by doing lots of electives in North America. The pro of Carribean medical schools is lots of rotations in America. The downside is the sites are poor quality, with limited teaching and your mostly doing scut work.
7. AUC has been charging my friends credit card for no reason, raising tuition, failing to honor scholarship etc. If you do go carribean pick the best one.

What would you recommend a vet prep student bring down with him to the Island, and should a person live by themselves the first year or are students matched according to their similarities or randomly?

How do most students get around the bus system, or do students buy a car or motorcycle to get around the island?

How do students get their stuff shipped down (UPS FEDEX?) and animals? I have heard of other students doing barrels, do you know how much stuff they can fit/how much they are?

What would you recommend a vet prep student bring down with him to the Island, and should a person live by themselves the first year or are students matched according to their similarities or randomly?

How do most students get around the bus system, or do students buy a car or motorcycle to get around the island?

How do students get their stuff shipped down (UPS FEDEX?) and animals? I have heard of other students doing barrels, do you know how much stuff they can fit/how much they are?
Might wanna check the vet forums. RUSM and RUSVM are on two completely different islands. St Kitts has a markedly smaller population than Barbados so logistics about island life will work differently.

Don't get a barrel, it's several hundred dollars. You can live off of 2 checked bags or pay extra for a 3rd if you really need to.

Update: Thought I would update this thread about my journey

Applying for the match this year in IM and FM, I got more interviews this season than I had the strength to go on. I applied to 200 programs and got 35 interview offers (16 in IM and 19 in FM). Ended up attending 24 interviews. I got a prematch offer at an FM program in which was great because it was 1 hr from home, but ended up not taking it because it wasn't a great program and I with the number of interviews I had, I was confident I would match at a better program in my home state.

I ranked all the IM programs above FM and matched at my #3 IM program in my home state close to family. Very happy with how things turned out :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
Update: Thought I would update this thread about my journey

Applying for the match this year in IM and FM, I got more interviews this season than I had the strength to go on. I applied to 200 programs and got 35 interview offers (16 in IM and 19 in FM). Ended up attending 24 interviews. I got a prematch offer at an FM program in which was great because it was 1 hr from home, but ended up not taking it because it wasn't a great program and I with the number of interviews I had, I was confident I would match at a better program in my home state.

I ranked all the IM programs above FM and matched at my #3 IM program in my home state close to family. Very happy with how things turned out :)

Congratulations!!!! I wish you all the best in your new adventure!! You’re gonna kill it!!!

Ask away!
How do M3 and M4 work? Are you guys always in the hospital or do you also have courses on the side? Do you get any breaks during M3 and M4???

What prevented you from applying to US medical schools originally, MD/DO?

How do M3 and M4 work? Are you guys always in the hospital or do you also have courses on the side? Do you get any breaks during M3 and M4???
You don't really get a "break" during M3 or M4. For M3, the only time you get a break is like the weekend leading up to the next core rotation. Otherwise, it's pretty much 11 months (48 weeks) straight for M3. If you schedule your shelf exam the week after your last week in each rotation, you wont have a break at all.

M4 is a bit better but still the same with 10.5 months or 42 weeks.