Any current UMich MPH students willing to talk about their experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jfloriaxx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a student perspective on the U-M Health Management and Policy program...but any insight into the public health school in general would be helpful (if you're from a diff dept) :) Here's a few questions I have right now:

1. What's your general impression of the students in the program? Do you end up knowing almost all your classmates by the end of the 2 years? Are people friendly and willing to work together? Or very competitive?
2. What's your general impression of the faculty? Are they willing to involve MPH students in their research or is this mostly set aside for PhDs? How available are research opportunities? Have you been able to get to know any faculty members (i.e. as a mentor) beyond just them being your instructor?
3. Do you feel like you're well supported by the department/career services in finding internships and job placements?
4. Any regrets/complaints about choosing U-M? Anything you would've done differently in the program?

Also, other suggestions/advice/random facts are welcome too!

Members don't see this ad.

Having just finished our finals, I am willing to share a few thoughts on the program. As a first year HMP student, let me address your concerns:

1. My classmates are undoubtedly the greatest asset of the program. We come a wide range of backgrounds in hospital management, non-profit organizations, public service, and healthy policy. My class made a conscious effort from day one, to create an atmosphere of collaboration, as opposed to competition. We do have case competitions and competitive internship positions, but primarily study and hang out together.

2. The faculty are awesome. We do have RWJF Research Fellows and top PhD candidates in the program that take up time, but a significant majority of my classmates are "research assistants" for professors and/or research centers. Honestly, mentorship is possible, however, you will have to be proactive. Michigan faculty have an open door/outside the school policy, but they don't hold your hand. It sounds as though you will actively pursue such relationship, which will not be a problem establishing at all.

3. Michigan has one of the largest alumni networks in the world. We have HMP staff, with professor management, solely dedicated to finding internships for our first year cohort We consistently place students in most of the U.S. News Honor Roll Hospitals. My resume was sent to a few medical centers, but I have also pursued opportunities outside the departments reach. Professors have been very helpful in connecting me with no only school alumni, but personal alumni at hospitals that most interest me.

4. Honestly, I wholeheartedly believe it is the best HMP program in the nation, especially for health management. Is the degree comparable to a top MBA (ex: Wharton)? No. Our focus is on healthcare management, but we do not place people at McKinsey, Bain, BCG often. If I could go back in time, I may have worked for a few more years (2 years currently), and perhaps got my dual MBA/MPH.

Come to visit day, go to lunch at Pizza House with current students, and decide for yourself. Good luck and happy holidays.

Having just finished our finals, I am willing to share a few thoughts on the program. As a first year HMP student, let me address your concerns:

1. My classmates are undoubtedly the greatest asset of the program. We come a wide range of backgrounds in hospital management, non-profit organizations, public service, and healthy policy. My class made a conscious effort from day one, to create an atmosphere of collaboration, as opposed to competition. We do have case competitions and competitive internship positions, but primarily study and hang out together.

2. The faculty are awesome. We do have RWJF Research Fellows and top PhD candidates in the program that take up time, but a significant majority of my classmates are "research assistants" for professors and/or research centers. Honestly, mentorship is possible, however, you will have to be proactive. Michigan faculty have an open door/outside the school policy, but they don't hold your hand. It sounds as though you will actively pursue such relationship, which will not be a problem establishing at all.

3. Michigan has one of the largest alumni networks in the world. We have HMP staff, with professor management, solely dedicated to finding internships for our first year cohort We consistently place students in most of the U.S. News Honor Roll Hospitals. My resume was sent to a few medical centers, but I have also pursued opportunities outside the departments reach. Professors have been very helpful in connecting me with no only school alumni, but personal alumni at hospitals that most interest me.

4. Honestly, I wholeheartedly believe it is the best HMP program in the nation, especially for health management. Is the degree comparable to a top MBA (ex: Wharton)? No. Our focus is on healthcare management, but we do not place people at McKinsey, Bain, BCG often. If I could go back in time, I may have worked for a few more years (2 years currently), and perhaps got my dual MBA/MPH.

Come to visit day, go to lunch at Pizza House with current students, and decide for yourself. Good luck and happy holidays.

Another gem I wish I had applied to!

2012 Applicant: UNC (Global), Harvard (Global Health), UIC (GH), Minnessota (GHIC), Tulane (GHCH), (GESH) JHU, BU (IH)

Responses in red.
I graduated this past spring in Epidemiology and now work as a research associate at UMSPH.

I'm looking for a student perspective on the U-M Health Management and Policy program...but any insight into the public health school in general would be helpful (if you're from a diff dept) :) Here's a few questions I have right now:

1. What's your general impression of the students in the program? Do you end up knowing almost all your classmates by the end of the 2 years? Are people friendly and willing to work together? Or very competitive?

This is a fantastic place to learn public health. I think there will always be uber-competitive people, but for the most part we all helped each other out by creating study groups, sharing materials/notes, etc. Some of my closest friends are the ones I made here. I got to know my classmates in my specific track of Epid well since we took a lot of core classes together and, as you can imagine, you pretty much work with each other to master the material. Public health isn't like pre-med. Learning it is a very social experience.

2. What's your general impression of the faculty? Are they willing to involve MPH students in their research or is this mostly set aside for PhDs? How available are research opportunities? Have you been able to get to know any faculty members (i.e. as a mentor) beyond just them being your instructor?

The faculty is pretty impressive. I think they do a pretty good job involving MPH students into their work. There aren't signs begging for MPH students to come help, but if you (the MPH student) wanted to work on the project then there will be a place for you. I got to know a few faculty quite well, and they wrote me letters of recommendation for a successful application to a doctoral program. Again, you have to do a bit of the work because they aren't going to seek you out, but once you get your foot in the door, then it's pretty great.

3. Do you feel like you're well supported by the department/career services in finding internships and job placements?

Yes. I don't know any people in epidemiology who didn't get a job/fellowship within 4 months of graduating. As for internships between the first and second years, everyone I talked to enjoyed their placements.

4. Any regrets/complaints about choosing U-M? Anything you would've done differently in the program?

I wish Michigan was in California. Winter can get a bit cold for me. Outside of weather, no complaints. Best two years of my life.

Also, other suggestions/advice/random facts are welcome too!
Free bagels in the alumni house on Wednesdays.