any dental schools favor experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KristenD77

Predent
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The reason I ask is because my grades are slightly less than average cGPA 3.495, BPC 3.58 and BPCM 3.435, no DAT but I do however have a lot of experience. I have 40 hours shadowing an OMFS surgeon, 2 years working as a D.A for a general practice, unique research, central america volunteer trip, 7 months working in a hospital as a nurse tech, and overall about 87 hours of volunteering (including the central america volunteer trip) So I was kind of hoping this less than steller late applicant can have a chance even if I don't have an amazing DAT?

Also do schools round to the hundreth place by any chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your grades are fine.

Reactions: 1 user
If your DAT score is an 18 or below, I would say your dental experiences would not mean much. I read on the forums that some people have 5-6 years of being a dental assistant, but their grades + DAT were well-below average.

Just score a 20 or above on the DAT, and you should be great. A 19 is perfectly fine as well.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
All schools will value experience - it gives them reassurance that dentistry is what you really want to do. Will it offset a low DAT or GPA? Probably not.

Your GPA is more than fine. Score well on the DAT and you will receive interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Your grades are fine. Your work experience will help as well. Since you have 2 years of DA, your shadow hours are fine. Your volunteer hours are really low, especially considering you went on a mission trip so schools like MOSDOH might not be an option unless you are a MO resident but you should be fine as long as you get a 20+ on the DAT. What are you getting on practice tests right now?