1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

any dental schools favor experience?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by KristenD77, Aug 21, 2015.

1. KristenD77

KristenD77 Predent
    5+ Year Member

The reason I ask is because my grades are slightly less than average cGPA 3.495, BPC 3.58 and BPCM 3.435, no DAT but I do however have a lot of experience. I have 40 hours shadowing an OMFS surgeon, 2 years working as a D.A for a general practice, unique research, central america volunteer trip, 7 months working in a hospital as a nurse tech, and overall about 87 hours of volunteering (including the central america volunteer trip) So I was kind of hoping this less than steller late applicant can have a chance even if I don't have an amazing DAT?

Also do schools round to the hundreth place by any chance?

#1 KristenD77, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ncide

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Your grades are fine.

KristenD77 likes this.
  4. RuffDay

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If your DAT score is an 18 or below, I would say your dental experiences would not mean much. I read on the forums that some people have 5-6 years of being a dental assistant, but their grades + DAT were well-below average.

Just score a 20 or above on the DAT, and you should be great. A 19 is perfectly fine as well.

#3 RuffDay, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  5. OrthoFriendly

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    All schools will value experience - it gives them reassurance that dentistry is what you really want to do. Will it offset a low DAT or GPA? Probably not.

Your GPA is more than fine. Score well on the DAT and you will receive interviews.

DentalLonghorn2014 likes this.
  6. ajj70

Non-Student
    Your grades are fine. Your work experience will help as well. Since you have 2 years of DA, your shadow hours are fine. Your volunteer hours are really low, especially considering you went on a mission trip so schools like MOSDOH might not be an option unless you are a MO resident but you should be fine as long as you get a 20+ on the DAT. What are you getting on practice tests right now?

7. KristenD77

KristenD77 Predent
    5+ Year Member

#6 KristenD77, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016