Any DO schools grade Pass/Fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titleist975j

Rusty Shackleford
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

only for the first year or 2? Does it help relieve the stress of med school? and when it comes time to applying for residencies, how do fair vs applicants who have grades?

Members don't see this ad :)
and when it comes time to applying for residencies, how do fair vs applicants who have grades?

Every med school has a system where students are ranked relative to the rest of the class. This info - whether a percentile or descriptor for the tier you're in - is included in the dean's letter.

(So, yeah, even when everything is P/F, they keep track of every numerical score you receive in class.)

Last edited:
A lot of schools claim to be pass/fail but they really aren't. As far as I know, only a few allopathic schools have a real pass/fail system. Most of the osteopathic schools have honors, high pass, pass, fail. This is basically the same thing as A/B/C/F.

UNDNJ-SOM is pass/fail but not really.
There's Honors, High Pass, Pass, Low Pass, and Fail
Soooooo it's basically the familiar letter grade system in disguise.

And students at UMDNJ- SOM are not ranked

At Western we are ranked but graded Honors/Pass/Fail. I have to be honest and say it does make it a little easier. Now I'm only concerned with what quartile I'm in, instead of what numerical rank position.

Very few DO schools have a real pass/fail system, most have honors and high pass etc. It's the same as the A,B,C,D grading.

my school is letter grade but gives p/f on a few courses. still when you see a p/f, what the dean sees is a number so they can put you in a percentile bin at the end. btw class rank or percentile is not important except for some residency programs

my school is letter grade but gives p/f on a few courses. still when you see a p/f, what the dean sees is a number so they can put you in a percentile bin at the end. btw class rank or percentile is not important except for some residency programs

What's types of residencies are these important for? Competitive ones or certain particular ones?

there are supercompetitive academic residencies that use rank as an additional filter. the vast majority of programs don't care about rank if you have a good board score. however a low score + a low rank will limit your choices