Any DO schools still worth applying to this late in the cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxpture

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
505 mcat, 3.8 GPA. I know that it is super late in the cycle, but I guess I didn't apply to enough schools. I know that I can still apply, but knowing that most schools have sent out most of their invites already.. just looking for a little advice. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
505 mcat, 3.8 GPA. I know that it is super late in the cycle, but I guess I didn't apply to enough schools. I know that I can still apply, but knowing that most schools have sent out most of their invites already.. just looking for a little advice. Thanks :)
Personally I think you're better off saving your money, reworking your app, and applying day 1 next cycle instead of becoming a re-app at whatever last minute schools you add. With a strong and appropriate school list and an early app you will likely get interviews next cycle.

I believe @Goro says after Thanksgiving is too late even for DO.

Reactions: 2 users

With that GPA and if yoy have other strong aspects of your application, you may consider retaking the MCAT and applying to MD and DO schools next cycle. You would be doing yourself a huge disservice by just trying to get into any school.

Members don't see this ad :)
With that GPA and if yoy have other strong aspects of your application, you may consider retaking the MCAT and applying to MD and DO schools next cycle. You would be doing yourself a huge disservice by just trying to get into any school.
Well unfortunately, the 3.8 is just my DO gpa. And I hear what you're saying. Thank you for the advice!

Well unfortunately, the 3.8 is just my DO gpa. And I hear what you're saying. Thank you for the advice!
Do you mind me asking which DO schools you applied to this cycle? I'm surprised with your stats you didn't get a lot of love. Did you have interviews?

You can apply to all the new ones that will be happy to accept someone that will bring their GPA average up.

Do you mind me asking which DO schools you applied to this cycle? I'm surprised with your stats you didn't get a lot of love. Did you have interviews?

I don't mind. I will preface that I was scoring very high on all of my practice tests and thought i was going to score 515+ on the MCAT. So since I was a TX resident, I thought I would get some love from somewhere (even with the low GPA). but my score came out of nowhere, so I had my DO applications complete by early July. I applied to PCOM, CCOM, Rowan, and NOVA, and got a late interview for NOVA in January. I know I made a lot of mistakes along the way, and should have applied to way more DO schools in hindsight, so I am assuming I will be applying next cycle anyway, haha.

Reactions: 1 users
You can apply to all the new ones that will be happy to accept someone that will bring their GPA average up.

I have been advised to not apply to these programs because they are new. Do you have any information on them? Thanks

I don't mind. I will preface that I was scoring very high on all of my practice tests and thought i was going to score 515+ on the MCAT. So since I was a TX resident, I thought I would get some love from somewhere (even with the low GPA). but my score came out of nowhere, so I had my DO applications complete by early July. I applied to PCOM, CCOM, Rowan, and NOVA, and got a late interview for NOVA in January. I know I made a lot of mistakes along the way, and should have applied to way more DO schools in hindsight, so I am assuming I will be applying next cycle anyway, haha.

So there's your issue. You applied to two schools that are very regionally biased (PCOM and Rowan) and one with one of the highest admitted student MCAT scores (CCOM). Your only real shot was NOVA. You need to make a real list next time around. You don't need to include schools like UIWSOM, BCOM, and ARCOM. Your stats are above average and it is not necessary to apply to these schools (this is was the above poster was referring to).

I wouldn't recommend an MCAT retake if you are fine with going DO.

Also, did you not apply to TCOM?????

So there's your issue. You applied to two schools that are very regionally biased (PCOM and Rowan) and one with one of the highest admitted student MCAT scores (CCOM). Your only real shot was NOVA. You need to make a real list next time around. You don't need to include schools like UIWSOM, BCOM, and ARCOM. Your stats are above average and it is not necessary to apply to these schools (this is was the above poster was referring to).

I wouldn't recommend an MCAT retake if you are fine with going DO.

Also, did you not apply to TCOM?????

I applied to TCOM, but no love. My GPA without grade replacement and mcat were low even for them. I realize now that my list sucked for DO, but again, I assumed I was going to get into Texas. And now i'm not sure what to do. I would like to retake my MCAT (because I'm sure I can do much better), but what is the point if my GPA is going to prevent me from getting in anyway?

Do you think it's worth applying to anything now? I'm going to assume it is just far too late.

I have been advised to not apply to these programs because they are new. Do you have any information on them? Thanks
No, I don't. I'd also be skeptical of these programs, but you asked about where you could apply.

I applied to TCOM, but no love. My GPA without grade replacement and mcat were low even for them. I realize now that my list sucked for DO, but again, I assumed I was going to get into Texas. And now i'm not sure what to do. I would like to retake my MCAT (because I'm sure I can do much better), but what is the point if my GPA is going to prevent me from getting in anyway?

Do you think it's worth applying to anything now? I'm going to assume it is just far too late.
Don't apply anywhere now. It will be a waste of money. And even if you do get in somewhere, it will probably be one of these newer schools that you really don't need to be going to because you have the stats. I would be worried about taking the MCAT again and risk having the same thing happen twice, unless there was some crazy fluke on test day like you were super sick or something. Scoring 515+ consistently on practice exams and getting a 505 doesn't add up.

It's not just "too late" but the schools that would throw you a bone are not the schools you (with 3.8/505) should be attending.

Unless you are incredibly confident you can score a 515 the next time around, I would stick with what you have, beef up your ECs/shadowing/altruistic volunteering and apply day one next cycle to a well-crafted DO list and your Texas MD's.

Don't apply anywhere now. It will be a waste of money. And even if you do get in somewhere, it will probably be one of these newer schools that you really don't need to be going to because you have the stats. I would be worried about taking the MCAT again and risk having the same thing happen twice, unless there was some crazy fluke on test day like you were super sick or something. Scoring 515+ consistently on practice exams and getting a 505 doesn't add up.

It's not just "too late" but the schools that would throw you a bone are not the schools you (with 3.8/505) should be attending.

Unless you are incredibly confident you can score a 515 the next time around, I would stick with what you have, beef up your ECs/shadowing/altruistic volunteering and apply day one next cycle to a well-crafted DO list and your Texas MD's.

Thanks for all of the help. If you knew off the top of your head good school matches for me, that would be helpful. I am also currently considering the TCOM masters program, but we will see.

Your MCAT is exactly the listed matriculant average for TCOM on their website. You GPA without grade replacement is what interests me. Did you retake a large amount on courses? Was your PS devoid of anything? Mediocre LORs?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Your MCAT is exactly the listed matriculant average for TCOM on their website. You GPA without grade replacement is what interests me. Did you retake a large amount on courses? Was your PS devoid of anything? Mediocre LORs?

This is what I'm wanting to know as well. I was hoping I might have an outside shot at TCOM even with a 503 but I do understand their average GPA is around 3.7. By next semester my last 100 hours will be 3.9+ but my overall is just over 3.4.

Off the top of my head, I retook maybe 5 or 6. But they were all C/D-->A. My last 30 hours were a 4.0, it is just my undergrad that is killing me, I guess. I graduated with a 3.5, but that was only because I had repeated some classes where only the last grade was taken, and TMDSAS reminds you of all your bad grades. PS was read by quite a few people and I was told was very good. LORs were from my post bac program of teachers I was close with, including some I helped design lesson plans, etc. I also had an MD letter from my research position, of which I'm going on almost 2 years. Not to mention my hospital job. I was hoping that would get me some interest, but it did not. So I am currently deciding between reapplying or applying to the masters program.

Off the top of my head, I retook maybe 5 or 6. But they were all C/D-->A. My last 30 hours were a 4.0, it is just my undergrad that is killing me, I guess. I graduated with a 3.5, but that was only because I had repeated some classes where only the last grade was taken, and TMDSAS reminds you of all your bad grades. PS was read by quite a few people and I was told was very good. LORs were from my post bac program of teachers I was close with, including some I helped design lesson plans, etc. I also had an MD letter from my research position, of which I'm going on almost 2 years. Not to mention my hospital job. I was hoping that would get me some interest, but it did not. So I am currently deciding between reapplying or applying to the masters program.

I'm sorry to hear that, I'm surprised you weren't at least given an II. Any DO shadowing experience?

I'm sorry to hear that, I'm surprised you weren't at least given an II. Any DO shadowing experience?

Well, no I didn't have any DO shadowing. But I explained that through my research and job I work with DOs every day. Just no formal experience there. Which is something I can improve. So maybe I will apply to their masters program, I'm not sure.