Any dvice would be appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheTexan

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am reapplying to Osteopathic schools and I would appreciate any advice anyone might
have. For my first 2 1/2 years of school work, I have a 2.91 GPA (37 hrs). For my last 2 1/2 years, I have earned a 3.79 (93 hrs). This gives me a 3.54 overall GPA and a 3.79 science GPA with A's in three Organic courses, genetics, microbiology etc. I did retake a few basic courses toward the end that I did not do well in during my first 2 1/2 years. I have taken the MCAT twice and my best score was 9V6P6B. I am now working as an emergency room clerk, and I think that my overall application is decent except for my MCAT scores. I need two courses to graduate from college. Should I wait and take
them in the fall so that I could really spend a lot of time studying for the MCAT, or would schools look down on 5 1/2 years to graduate more than 5? Also, when I send in my
application and check retaking MCAT, will I not get considered until October? Any
advice about any area of my application will be appreciated, and don't worry about
hurting my feelings. I am determined to become an osteopathic physician and I won't be deterred. I have visited KCOM, TCOM, and UHS. My favorite is KCOM, but like many
applicants, I will happily go to any Osteopathic school which accepts me. Thanks in advance for any help you provide. TheTexan

Members don't see this ad.

I was reading your post thinking why is this person writing until I saw your MCAT scores. If you had one 6, there is a very slim possibility of getting accepted somewhere because of your decent GPA and extracurrics. However, two 6's in my opinion is just too low. I say this especially since they are in the science sections. My advice is to take it again and maybe take a prep course to help you focus on your weak points. Have you completed all your prereqs for med school? If not, that could be hurting your MCAT scores. Give it one more go, and then re-evaluate. Third time's a charm, right? I wish you all the best.

Renee

YOU have an EXCELLENT and YES I mean EXcellent cahnce of getting into most osteopathic programs. Please do not listen to the gossip and made up false stories , that you need a certain MCAT score to get into any MEDICAL school , whether it be an MD or DO program. I will not give names od specific schools, but many schools look past those trivial numbers ( MCAT scores) I am not advocating that one should not take the test again to improve their scores, but with a solid profile, and low MCATS, your stand a good chance at many schools. It will also depend on whether you fit the specific mold that each school you are applying to is looking for. I know this may sound strange, but many schools look for a certain applicant, no matter how high their MCATS or GPA's are, as long as they are some what competetive. I know there wil be alot of debate over my reply, but I have been through the application process twice now and have seen alot along the way. I am proof also that less then stellar MCATS will get you into a quality DO program , and even may get you a few interviews at the top notch ones, but you must have many other stand out attributes on your resume to overshadow the less then average MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about the spelling mistakes and few grammatical errors. When one is rushing to get out all they want to say, they are prone to those mistakes!! Please forgive me guys!!! ) Kidding)

Thanks to both of you for your "dvice"
smile.gif
. I appreciate your replies. Good luck with your future.

In order to become a competitive applicant, retaking the MCAT will be a wise choice.

I agree w/ the above. It just seems like two 6's is just too low for most if not all schools. Take Kaplan and take the test over.
Good luck.

Unless money is a significant factor here, what's the harm in at least trying? Theres no chance if you dont try nd you just may avoid the headache of having to retake the MCAT. Apply first, see how it goes and then make a decision from there.

Personally, and this is just my opinion formulated from the brief you have provided, I would not apply to med school this cycle; but would finish up my degree ASAP.

Then, after Christmas, sign-up for the April MCAT and either the Kaplan or Princeton Review prep courses and FOCUS. With your degree out of the way, you'll have no time pressures. Also, you will still have the August test if the April doesn't pan-out as expected.

Lastly, you can leisurely complete all those stinking applications and have them posted EARLY!

Just my $0.02

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

[This message has been edited by OldManDave (edited July 12, 1999).]

You need 8s and 9s, retake the MCAT...