Any Ex-DPM now in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buknow

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I need some help :confused:

I'm a 1st year podiatry resident at 3 yr surgical progam who is really thinking of applying to medical school. I'm just tired of working my butt-off everyday not sure of what my future holds. I respect the profession for what it stands for but, just can't deal with all the politics and all the lies.

It is true. Podiatrist really eat their YOUNG!

For all ex-pods in medical school or in my situation:
How difficult was it to change profession?
What reactions did you get from medical school as an applicant with a DPM?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hey b
if you look at some of the old posts..there are a few dpms who went to medical school afterwards
i cant remeber all of their names
but i know toejam is one of them, try pmin them....if not you can always ask you local medschool and see how they would view you..i know the DO schools are pretty helpful in that regard

from what i gather, getting a dpm does make you more marketable, youll probably have to retake the mcats though
most schools only accpet them if they are less than 3 yrs old (i think)

i hope you have some luck in finding what makes you happy
but dont forget man...there are b@stards in every proffesion...there are plenty of mds out there who will screw you too
just be careful and rely on yourself first
goodluck to you and let us know how it all turns out
-j

Yep. I'm in my 2nd semester of DO school at Western/COMP. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey b,
I'm also a former pod student who went to Barry, but I didn't finish to get my DPM. I am now in my fourth year at Nova Southeastern Univ. If you have any questions let me know. Best of luck.

i tought the 3 yr surgical residency is the cream of the crop of all pod residency (highest salary too?)?? gotta be having tons of job offers right? why give that up?

i know this strays a little from the questions you were hoping to get answered, but i just want add my 2 cents in here. i understand that you gotta do whatever makes you the happiest, but i think you're nuts. you're about to become an extremely successful surgeon and provide a valuable service-- why would you start all over just because of other people's insecurities??? if you have decided you hate feet, well, thats one thing. but i think you'd be crazy just to leave because of politics and other people's lies. you would just be building up debt and wasting years of your life.

Originally posted by governator
i tought the 3 yr surgical residency is the cream of the crop of all pod residency (highest salary too?)?? gotta be having tons of job offers right? why give that up?
That's what I thought... If the U.S. Department of Labor says you'll be golden, why worry about anybody else? The DPM surgeons I know seem to be livin' it just as nice as, if not nicer, than MDs/DOs.

From what I hear, residency pay is lower than average and making the right contacts to get where you wanna be is a little harder, but in the end, a foot and ankle surgeon has a higher profit potential than a primary care MD/DO. Don't discount your degree so quickly because of others' insecurities. Just think about the unemployment rates and average salaries of MBAs compared to DPMs in this country right now. Sure the route isn't as easy if you had originally gone MD or DO, but there's gotta be some truth in Forbes claiming podiatry to be the fifth best paying job in America.

I'm also a first year podiatry resident, and probably working just as hard. Don't let it bother you too much. One thing you should keep in mind is that the grass isn't neccesarily greener. The politics, etc is not something unique to podiatry.

Eric

Did you work after college or go straight to podiatry school? Just curious.

Buknow,

I too am in med school. I chose to go the foreign route. I chose this route because I did not want to take the MCAT again. I did a PSR-12 and was in practice for 3-4 years before I went back to school. I am going to graduate from med school in May.
It was tough going back to school. My wife and I were getting kind of used to me having an income.

If you want to PM me go ahead. I would be happy to answer any questions.

My reason for going back was that I still had an itch to scratch in medicine that being a podiatrist did not fulfill. I also have a bit of an ego and did not like the 2nd class doctor status that pods get (similar to chiropractors) and I wanted to be a "real doctor".

A PSR-36 will make you an excellent surgeon but you will still be a podiatrist. Good luck with any decisions.

I am also a former DPM student now in my second year at a US MD school( I wonder how many ex-pod student or docs out there are now in a regular med schoo here or abroad?). I went into pod school right after college, it was my fault. I should of spent more time on the web researching career options before jumping into a school that accepted me on the spot three weeks before the start of classes. Anyway, PM me if you have any questions. The grass must be really green on this side for some of you guys to drop out of practice or residency!!.

I am one of the former DPM's who is just about to graduate from real medical school. I will be able to say that without it kind of sticking in my throat. I was unable to say that without feeling guilty before. I will also be able to identify myself as being a doctor also without feeling self-conscious about saying it.

I matched at my first choice of residency programs in anesthesiology and preliminary medicine. I will be making as much in my residency as most DPM's will be making for the first few years after finishing their residencies.

Good luck to everyone. I am happy and finally feel secure in my future. I am happy that I will not have to advertise in the paper and put out coupons to get new patients. I will not have to constantly reach out to community groups and always try to hustle to bring patients in the door.

It was a long road but I feel that it was worth it and the long run I will be happier.

hey drjdiz
i am happy that you found a job that will make you happy
goodluck in residency...
but please dont post info that isnt true
you dont have to post advertisements in the paper to get people in the door....doctors (MD's DO's DDS's DPM's)do not have to advertise, though some to choose to
yes its a good idea to reach out to senior groups to get pts in the door, but you dont have to prostitute yourself to do that..i mean all doctors in private practice have to get pts in the door, it has nothing to do with what kind of doctor you are or what title you have
and the posting about the money you wil make in your residency just isnt true
anesthiologists make great money...i am not denying that...but residents are not better paid than the vast majority of new pods...though i am sure some pods cant make ends meet, it is not the case for all
regardless i am glad that you found something that will make you happy, and i think everyone appreciates your insights...but it just seems to me that you were just unhappy about being a dpm... and all of your other problems were kind of secondary
-j

Members don't see this ad :)
why ex-DPMs are so bitter? false ads by the schools?
when i did my masters at Barry U, the pod students seem to be enjoying their time, hell they even party more than i did. And if i'm not mistaken, the avg income of DPM is 6 figures....right? so what's the beef for?

That guy sure has a very big inferiority complex! Good luck with whatever you do and hope that the insecurity you feel is removed by your new degree future "gas boy."

Reactions: 1 user
Originally posted by ProdPod
That guy sure has a very big inferiority complex! Good luck with whatever you do and hope that the insecurity you feel is removed by your new degree future "gas boy."

I'm sure he has no inferiority complex; just speaking the truth. Okay "toenail cutter"? :laugh:

My reference to "gas boy" meaning cars!

JConway,

What do you do? Are you a podiatry student or what is your current status? You are portraying yourself as an authority on the field of Podiatry but I am curious what your qualifications are to do so. You sound like a naive/hopeful/ brainwashed podiatry student hoping that what you say is true. Unfortunately in the real world, it sadly is not.

I practiced for 4 years post-residency. I was in communication with many of my classmates who gave me info on how they were doing financially. I have read other message boards describing podiatry income and I can assure you that my assertions are close to the truth. I graduated in 1995 but I am sure that things have not improved that much. In fact, it probably has gotten worse considering the quality of podiatry school applicants over the last 5 years or so. At least when I was in school the top 1/2 to 1/3 of the class was pretty sharp and could be trusted to hold a scalpel. Now,......... Yikes.

Podiatry has (excuse the cliche, but true statement) always eaten it's young. New graduates get crappy jobs with terrible pay from unscrupulous employers who try to increase their bottom line at the expense of the new grad.

As far as your assertion that doctors do not have to advertise; wake up! Doctors such as MD's and DO's do not (unless they are just starting out). DPM's , DC's, and to a much lesser extent DDS' most definitely have to advertise and hustle for new patients. This is also true because oftentimes a pod or chiro can fix a pt. which will lead to them being discharged. Medical problems are usually more chronic.

Prodpod, You need to work on your insight. I have no personal inferiority complex, in fact, far from it.(Just ask my wife)
I did have a professional one as a podiatrist though! I am proud that podiatrists are the best trained and most qualfied people (aside from foot and ankle fellowship orthopods in most cases) to treat foot and ankle problems.

The professional inferiority complex came from the way podiatry is perceived by everyone else (particularly other healthcare professionals). Podiatrists are generally thought of as being second class doctors on par with DC's. This perception is well founded based on the professions history. Podiatry has evolved from chiropody, pseudoprofessionals who began seeking more and more privelges as their education expanded. (Driven by the schools) There is nothing resembling equivalence with MD/DO's.

The DPM/MD degree change will not change this, and does anyone else who follows that discussion wonder how they are going to pull it off? Don't you think the AMA and state medical boards are going to say something if DPM's all of a sudden start calling themselves MD's?

Anyway, I am sorry to be long-winded but I am on vacation this month and was just trying to prevent JConway from misleading anyone and to help Prodpod with his/her insight issues.

BTW, prodpod what does "My reference to "gas boy" meaning cars!" mean?

Good luck everyone.

drjdiz
you know whats funny
i just posted in another forum wishing you well...before i read this post...
i am not an authority on podiatry..never claimed to be...read any of my old posts...i have always been honest about the shortcomings of the field...you my friend are bitter b/c you are going back to school b/c you werent happy with podiatry....sorry buddy
but i dont think your some special star out there for starting all over again b/c u didnt do you research the first time

dude you dont have the first idea of what kind of student i am/what my "stats" were/or how good/bad i will be with a scapel...
and i marvel how you could chastise other kids who are looking to join a field that you were a part of/ a field that you used as a springboard into an MD and call them inferior to you...
regardless of how you had to eek out a living....pods/dds/md/do's etc do not have to advertise..though some do, and so long as they do so professionally i have no problem with it...you do what you have to to get started/maintain a practice/whatever...but not everyone advertises
and as far as chronic health problems go..maybe you have heard of this disease called diabetes....it causes these little "booboos" called ulcers..and they can take a long time to get better..and sometimes..they even come back....uhoh...sounds like a chronic problem to me....
dude goodluck in medicine...but get over your bitterness...and stop blaming everyone else for your unhappiness

p.s.
i am a pod student....2 of my close family members are pods....i am not brainwashed...and yes i know how lucky i am to have an advantage like that..which is why i try and share any bit of knowledge i have with any student that is interested in podiatry
instead of just b!tch about how crappy my life is

now please if you have any other problems with me..let me know
if not goodluck

JConway,

I am sorry if I have touched a nerve. I am sorry I forgot to thank you for the kind words wishing me good luck before I posted my last message.

I think you are over-reacting and over-analyzing my post. Again, Relax and maybe re-read it with some objectivity.

I was reacting to your assertions that my comments were untrue. You may be a pod student and have friends and family in the field that are doing well, but when I made my original post about starting salaries, I did so having derived some empirical data. You on the other hand are relying on 2nd hand sources such as your family members who are probably not in touch with new graduates or have limited sources.

I ignored your comment about my unhappiness because I had already written enough in my last post and felt no need to set you straight since we are not acquainted. I have never been unhappy or bitter. A little bitter perhaps over the line of Bulls**t the podiatry school recruiters sold me and continue to sell others.

I am quite well adjusted and chalk up the whole podiatry experience as a miscalculation, however also look upon it as a positive experience. I learned a great deal of medicine, particularly orthopedics, during my training as a pod and have been able to still use the skills I learned. I have benefitted from the whole experience and am truly not unhappy. I am a little disappointed I was so gullable to buy into the recruiters story, but that is life. I did enjoy podiatry. I liked doing surgery and being in the OR (hence my choice of anesthesia). I even enjoyed socializing with my patients during nail debridement visits, although that type of work got old pretty quick.

I am not sure what post you read but I did not chastise any podiatry students. I never said that they were inferior, however in reality I am sure that many students are sub-par because of the lack of admission requirements of podiatry schools. Re-read my post when you cool off a little.

In reference to your rant about chronic problems, I was just making a generalization about the acute nature of podiatry vs. the fact that MD/DO's take care of more chronic problems. Again relax.

I do not feel that I am some kind of star, as you put it. I actually feel that I was kind of a dumb ass for fall for the podiatry line. (although I did benefit from it, so not worth 100k though!!)
If you re-read my original post, I was not bitter or unhappy with podiatry, just a little unfulfilled due to the limited scope and lack of respect afforded podiatry.

I was actually one of the luckier ones, I was starting to do well in private practice when I made my decision to leave, but again I had a desire to do more in medicine and could not see myself being just a podiatrist (other peoples words) for the rest of my life.
I am glad your are happy in your lot in life and you are indeed one of the fortunate ones that will probably be happy in the noble profession of podiatry. I will always have respect for podiatrists and the profession, I just realized that after a big investment in time and money that it was not enough for me personally.

I thank you for the kind words. I wish you good luck. Try not to be so defensive and sensitive about your choice.

Good luck with your change of direction in medicine. I appreciate the honesty and proffessionalism in your posts and wish others could do the same!

hey drjdiz
after rereading your posts maybe i did jump the gun....
my bad
:(
ill admit i was expecting the same old run of the mill atacks and i probably did read to much into your posts...
i am still not sure if its really fair/accurate to say that nowadays alot of pod students are not capable of being good docs...nor do i agree that pods HAVE to advertise..though there are definatly advantages to doing so.....

but regardless...i guess i am a becoming a little too jaded and sensitive about the whole issue..too much arguing and negativity on these boards has led me to this off the wall conditioned response...
and i am sorry for the pointed comments i slung at you
so with that...i bid you all goodnight(its 5am here)
and wish you all the luck in the world

Prodpod and JConway,

I am glad cooler heads have prevailed and we have ended this discourse in a professional manner. Good luck to both of you in the future and maybe we will work together in some OR somewhere.
Take care.