Any experience with "the Step1 method"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnslay

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we had this guy come to our school to talk to us about this.

Has anyone used this method or done the program? What did you think of it?

In short, during the lecture he recommended doing Uworld & Qbank with classes and then again while studying for the test with FA (so 2x overall). This was preceded by about 45 min of pep-talking and hyping that sorta left a bad taste in my mouth.

Anyone care to comment on this and what they think of this strategy?

btw it's these guys: http://studentsofmedicine.com/method.html

Members don't see this ad.

from what ive learnt from other similar posts on this forum, its not really that advisable to go for such 'unheard of' programs.. they pop up every few weeks during prep periods. if one 'has' to go with a program, go with one thats reputable/has some credibility.

Yeah the impression I got was that this might be "one of those programs". Especially since the first 45 min of the talk was just getting people all hyper about wanting to do well, which is like throwing chum in the water for students considering buying more Step1 books...

I was just starting this thread as a litmus test for this thing's credibility, so I was hoping to find some people who actually did it.

from what ive learnt from other similar posts on this forum, its not really that advisable to go for such 'unheard of' programs.. they pop up every few weeks during prep periods. if one 'has' to go with a program, go with one thats reputable/has some credibility.

So the creator of "The Step 1 Method" went to my med school, and he was a huge proponent of it to us younger med students when he was developing it. I, along with the majority of my schoolmates, used his method and succeeded tremendously. The creator is class of 07 - class of 08 had 98% pass on the first try, class of 09 had 100% pass, and class of 10 had 98% also. So yes, even though it's a program that most people haven't heard of before because it's so new, it has really benefited those of us who have used it. Let me know if you have any other questions about it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
So the creator of "The Step 1 Method" went to my med school, and he was a huge proponent of it to us younger med students when he was developing it. I, along with the majority of my schoolmates, used his method and succeeded tremendously. The creator is class of 07 - class of 08 had 98% pass on the first try, class of 09 had 100% pass, and class of 10 had 98% also. So yes, even though it's a program that most people haven't heard of before because it's so new, it has really benefited those of us who have used it. Let me know if you have any other questions about it. Thanks!

I guess then the question becomes, "what are your goals for the USMLE Step I?"

If it is to know enough to pass, it seems from what you've said the program may be beneficial. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the people who frequent this forum are more of the "I want to score really high" mindset. In that case, the jury is obviously still out as far as we know.

It may be good, or not. But if you have to pay for it then it is a gamble. The Taus method is free and works amazingly well.

I have to concur with the above post by doctorbirdie. I too went to the same medical school, and it was from there that it took off. The program was extremely beneficial not only to myself, but to our entire class. I was part of the class with the 100% pass rate, and that was the first time that ever happened at our medical school. I credit the program with being a major factor in allowing this to happen. If I remember correctly our average on the boards, was also the highest it has been. As far as to the question of whether it will help you score extremely well, I was satisfied with my score, but some people who used the method scored in the 250's. I didn't make it that high, but as far as it producing results, it was phenomenal in helping people to increase their score from what it would have been.

should I buy the online course for $10 or the book for $29.99? Which one is the actual step 1 method?

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS WORKS. I am in a very competitive Neurosurgery program in NYC and I can attest: THIS $HIT WORKS. As a second year medical student, I had no idea what I wanted to do or become. All I needed was a great step 1 score so that I'd be able to choose when the time was right. It's true, people don't know about this because it's NEW. I went to school with the program's creator. Maximize your score on the FIRST ATTEMPT and achieve.
AGAIN. THIS. $HIT. WORKS. That's really all that matters.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS WORKS. I am in a very competitive Neurosurgery program in NYC and I can attest: THIS $HIT WORKS. As a second year medical student, I had no idea what I wanted to do or become. All I needed was a great step 1 score so that I'd be able to choose when the time was right. It's true, people don't know about this because it's NEW. I went to school with the program's creator. Maximize your score on the FIRST ATTEMPT and achieve.

Yes, I'm going to base my study strategy for the most important test of my life off a post as eloquent and convincing as this one. Someone who spells excrement with a money sign is damn convincing. :laugh:

This reminds me of when I did a search to look for more info online for GunnerTraining (which, by the way, is pretty cool, but not something that anyone should worry about with the exam approaching....definitely more of a "during M2" kind of thing). On the site they talk all about how it was started by an Anesthesia resident or whatever, and some other dude. And when you google Gunner Training, most of what you find is some "random" guy with the screen name "GasDoc" or something making posts on other forums like "oh hey guys, anyone here ever try Gunner Training? Is it super awesome? Or just regular awesome?"

I feel bad ripping on them, because they seem pretty legit. But it's funny.

Edit: He posted on SDN as "hope2bpaindoc" doing the same thing.

Ordinarily I would delete this post for self-promotion, but this is so pathetic that I'll leave it up for everyone's entertainment.

Reactions: 1 user