Any General Surgery Fellowships with lots of clinic time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Island Doctor MD

Reaction score
Hi, I am a current medical student in a low-tier medical school. I am very interested in Surgery. I enjoy surgical subspecialties like URO or ENT because of their mix of clinic time and OR. Is there any general surgery subspecialty that offers this?
I also want to be able to transition to more clinics as I get older. Any recommendations for fellowships of General Surgery.

Members don't see this ad.

Our Breast, Surg Onc, and CRS attendings have pretty robust clinic schedules

Yeah, but unlike ENT and Uro, gen surg specialties that have a lot of clinic aren't going to be doing a lot of in-office procedures. They'll more so be evaluating patients for surgery or post op follow-ups. I worked with a CT surgeon and he only operated 2 days a week, had 3 days of clinic for new patients / follow ups, etc. Only gen surg specialty that does any in-office procedures I can think of is gen surg with maybe some hemorrhoids or u/s. This is important, as you need to be doing surgeries to have a clinic as a gen surgeon, whereas ENTs and urologists can just be doing office based medicine or office based procedures.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, but unlike ENT and Uro, gen surg specialties that have a lot of clinic aren't going to be doing a lot of in-office procedures. They'll more so be evaluating patients for surgery or post op follow-ups. I worked with a CT surgeon and he only operated 2 days a week, had 3 days of clinic for new patients / follow ups, etc. Only gen surg specialty that does any in-office procedures I can think of is gen surg with maybe some hemorrhoids or u/s. This is important, as you need to be doing surgeries to have a clinic as a gen surgeon, whereas ENTs and urologists can just be doing office based medicine or office based procedures.

While it depends on whether a GS has a subspecialty or niche, there are plenty of office procedures to be had, but in a different way. For example, minor excisions not requiring the OR (like sebaceous cysts, small lipomas, skin lesions, etc.), I&Ds, aspirations, little biopsy procedures, etc.

Breast tends to have a lot of US guided aspirations and/or biopsies.

Reactions: 1 user
While it depends on whether a GS has a subspecialty or niche, there are plenty of office procedures to be had, but in a different way. For example, minor excisions not requiring the OR (like sebaceous cysts, small lipomas, skin lesions, etc.), I&Ds, aspirations, little biopsy procedures, etc.

Breast tends to have a lot of US guided aspirations and/or biopsies.
Fair enough, I suppose its where you're at too. I'm pretty sure at my institution rads most of the core biopsies for breast and the breast surgeons didn't do too many in office procedures.

Colorectal by and far. Absolutely huge clinic footprint. You can also transition to just office procedures as you get older and stop operating altogether. The group in my residency was 5 surgeons. Two were older, both had switched to just helping to round some weekends or occasional overnight call but if it needed an emergent operation he’d call a partner to do it. M-F he was out by three and just did clinic, colonoscopies, flex sig, and anoscopy and office procedures. Was wildly profitable for the practice because they got to drop the office malpractice and did massive scope and office volume and concentrated the surgeries into a couple of the younger guys which also helped outcomes. Plus the older guys were still around to tackle those “once a year” things that no one had ever seen except the dinosaurs and even 20 years into practice the younger guys still called them for the unicorn cases.

Their lifestyles were all absolutely fantastic and they made $$$$.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Colorectal by and far. Absolutely huge clinic footprint. You can also transition to just office procedures as you get older and stop operating altogether. The group in my residency was 5 surgeons. Two were older, both had switched to just helping to round some weekends or occasional overnight call but if it needed an emergent operation he’d call a partner to do it. M-F he was out by three and just did clinic, colonoscopies, flex sig, and anoscopy and office procedures. Was wildly profitable for the practice because they got to drop the office malpractice and did massive scope and office volume and concentrated the surgeries into a couple of the younger guys which also helped outcomes. Plus the older guys were still around to tackle those “once a year” things that no one had ever seen except the dinosaurs and even 20 years into practice the younger guys still called them for the unicorn cases.

Their lifestyles were all absolutely fantastic and they made $$$$.

I’ve been thinking about colorectal and that definitely helps. I want something I can transition to an office based practice as I get older if I don’t want to retire.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, I am a current medical student in a low-tier medical school. I am very interested in Surgery. I enjoy surgical subspecialties like URO or ENT because of their mix of clinic time and OR. Is there any general surgery subspecialty that offers this?
I also want to be able to transition to more clinics as I get older. Any recommendations for fellowships of General Surgery.
Every thought about OBGYN? tons of clinic and OR time and u cann transition to the clinic as u get old.

I’ve been thinking about colorectal and that definitely helps. I want something I can transition to an office based practice as I get older if I don’t want to retire.
Colorectal is good stuff. Its middle of the road competitive so you don't have to bust your balls all residency and can actually just worry about learning surgery and enjoying yourself. They're also very appreciated by patients who need them.

It's an excellent field. The satisfaction of the patients and of the physician are quite high. That seems to be intrinsically linked in what many consider to be the better specialties.

Reactions: 1 users
Colorectal is good stuff. Its middle of the road competitive so you don't have to bust your balls all residency and can actually just worry about learning surgery and enjoying yourself. They're also very appreciated by patients who need them.

Well in the military there is usually only 1-2 spots for Navy, so depending on the interest it might be competitive. But it’s pretty common to do a utilization tour prior to fellowship anyway. Most of my experience during my gen surg rotation was in colorectal, and I really liked it. The patients were amazing.

It's an excellent field. The satisfaction of the patients and of the physician are quite high. That seems to be intrinsically linked in what many consider to be the better specialties.

Yeah, a lot of my gen surg rotation was colorectal. The patients and docs were fantastic.

Reactions: 2 users