Any good interview books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JugglesMed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know any good interview books that will prepare you for the interview? I was looking on amazon and there are a few.
I want to be as prepared as possible

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys know any good interview books that will prepare you for the interview? I was looking on amazon and there are a few.
I used the book titled " The Medical School Interview Winning Strategies from med school admissions".

I found them very helpful and had a sufficient amount of practice prompts to make me feel comfortable.

I also suggest doing as many mock interviews as possible to work on any issues you may have.

Reactions: 2 users
You'll learn more by doing. Try to set up some conversations with people older than yourself (15-40 years older) who don't know you well: friend or classmate's parent, relative you don't see often, etc. Practice answering questions about yourself, your activities, describing scientific research in lay terms, giving your opinion on current events related to health care, etc. face-to-face and dressed as you would for an interview. Videotape yourself in an interview setting to see if you figgit or have distracting verbal filler.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You'll learn more by doing. Try to set up some conversations with people older than yourself (15-40 years older) who don't know you well: friend or classmate's parent, relative you don't see often, etc. Practice answering questions about yourself, your activities, describing scientific research in lay terms, giving your opinion on current events related to health care, etc. face-to-face and dressed as you would for an interview. Videotape yourself in an interview setting to see if you figgit or have distracting verbal filler.
Highly recommend video taping yourself. I found that to be one of the most insightful ways into how you answer and how you can improve. I cringed so hard the first few times.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with @LizzyM that practice doing is better. My only additional thought is that if you get an interview where they use the MMI format, then look for a book or check out some of the resources on YouTube. Having some familiarity with that process can be helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
Consider accessing SDN's Interview Feedback Section for specific questions asked at each school: Interview Feedback List | Student Doctor Network so you can think out responses (but not so you can script them).

In addition tot he above wise advice, if you know anyone who works in an HR setting, they can probably give you some good tips on interviewing. Also, look for YouTube videos on med school interviewing. At a minimum, you'll learn what NOT to do!

Also use SDN's interview feedback section, and read this:
Goro's Guide to Interviews

Honestly, I would schedule your "eh" school interviews first and save your top schools for later, so you can get practice.

I used the book titled " The Medical School Interview Winning Strategies from med school admissions".

I found them very helpful and had a sufficient amount of practice prompts to make me feel comfortable.

I also suggest doing as many mock interviews as possible to work on any issues you may have.

I agree, the Desai and Katta book on medical school interview prep is the best out there. I found it very helpful to practice answering some of the questions listed in the book while video recording, and watching to notice my body language/facial expressions/words.

I agree, the Desai and Katta book on medical school interview prep is the best out there. I found it very helpful to practice answering some of the questions listed in the book while video recording, and watching to notice my body language/facial expressions/words.
What do you recommend for prepping for MMIs?

Second this book. Good stuff in there. They also have an MMI book.

What do you recommend for prepping for MMIs?

Those same guys made an MMI book as well. I guess it's the best resource... actually, it's the only print resource that I know of.

But honestly, most MMIs that I went to had some standard interview questions, an acting station, and some easy "ethical" questions. The only difference is you need to be ready for a first impression 10 times or so, rather than just once.

Those same guys made an MMI book as well. I guess it's the best resource... actually, it's the only print resource that I know of.

But honestly, most MMIs that I went to had some standard interview questions, an acting station, and some easy "ethical" questions. The only difference is you need to be ready for a first impression 10 times or so, rather than just once.
Thank you! I just ordered both :rolleyes:

Thank you! I just ordered both :rolleyes:

I guess I should also add.... I also bought Ryan Gray's The Premed Playbook Guide to the Medical School Interview. Although the cover is nicer, the book is not nearly as good as Desai's book. It covers some of the same stuff without adding additional value. I do not recommend Gray's book.

I guess I should also add.... I also bought Ryan Gray's The Premed Playbook Guide to the Medical School Interview. Although the cover is nicer, the book is not nearly as good as Desai's book. It covers some of the same stuff without adding additional value. I do not recommend Gray's book.

Same. Honestly, as helpful as some of his podcasts are, that book seemed more like a money grab. None of the info was anything that you can’t find for free online easily. The Desai book actually has a bunch of great insights and uses actual data to back up some of the points.