SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Any Good Psychology Forums on Facebook?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by Rishi Garg, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Rishi Garg

Rishi Garg Probationary Status 5+ Year Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Chicago
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist Psychologist 7+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    I've tried a few over the years, but they've mostly been garbage. I'd look into joining specific listerves.

4. MamaPhD

MamaPhD Psychologist, Academic Medical Center Psychologist 7+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Some of my colleagues I've friended on Facebook have interesting professional connections, and their posts occasionally turn into mini-forums. You could try friending a few well connected psychologists. Better than interacting with randos in a Facebook group IMO.

In general, though, I agree that listservs are a better way to go.

5. syzergy

syzergy 7+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Does anyone have issues with the daily ABCT listserve? I can sometimes read the messages but it's often complete gibberish.

Example portion of yesterday's email: "qmTWlwLp6HPuRPotcuD3/f4DT61BMNjDioONhi+QiYXG6HVNv2snHnRg0XPdWGklTDinVSqQ6nxp"
    It's pages and pages of this - does anyone else have this problem?

6. foreverbull

foreverbull 2+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2015
    I recently started a FB group for folks in private practice (Psychologists in Private Practice):

It's a bit quiet as a new and small group, but insurance, fees, ethical issues, and marketing have been brought up so far. It's a good way for folks who constantly have private practice questions to get questions answered fairly quickly without posting new threads in SDN, so I hope some private practitioners in here will find it helpful!

7. DynamicDidactic

DynamicDidactic Ass of Prof 7+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2010
    I used to have the issue when I used gmail for the listserv. It seems that the ABCT listserv is designed for Outlook. When I started using my work email (which is on Outlook) it works great.

syzergy likes this.
  8. DynamicDidactic

DynamicDidactic Ass of Prof 7+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2010
    I'm not on FB and I don't really think that its the most effective way to interact about professional topics. Though I understand why its so popular. Email listservs seem to do everything I need. I am part of a few ranging from academic to practice and I have them moved directly to a separate folder so they don't clutter my inbox. I check them whenever I get the urge.

Therapist4Chnge likes this.