any good source for drugs interactions ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saynow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everybody
i just wonder if everything in comprehensive pharmacy review section drug drug interaction for memorizing or just read
any simpler source to study drug drug interaction from
thnx

Members don't see this ad.

Katzung pharmacology (has an index section for DIs) and various databases. Lexicomp has descriptive monographs of the interaction and management (monitoring needed, discontinuation, switch to alternative, etc.). Epocrates DI system is ok in that it's fairly simple & easy to understand (compromised by lack of detail).

A really important aspect of the databases is to pay attention to the higher category DIs (more severe ones) and not so much to the trivial ones (CNS overload). Might want to cover the narrow TI drugs more (levothyroxine, warfarin, theophylline, digoxin, etc.).

Following on @RxVampire excellent advice:

For the boards, you probably need to figure out CYP450 interactions (there's several good charts out there that you just plain memorize) like this one:

https://www.aerzteblatt.de/bilder/2012/08/img23907835.gif

If you run into the Amgen or Takeda reps, you can get a really nice wall poster that is much more comprehensive.

There are also pure chemical interaction ones that you end up memorizing (lithium, protamine, chelating agents).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hansten and Horn is quite good, paper publication every year. Lexi is getting better than it has been in the past. H&H is nice because of the cyp charts, prioritizing most relevant interactions, management recommendations. For warfarin, though, I have found other more extensive/specific resources that include onset/offset times, etc.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user