Any Hematopoiesis Experts Out There?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out whether monocytes are mitotic or post-mitotic. I'm pretty sure they are usually post-mitotic (unless you stimulate them artificially), but if anyone could confirm, that would be great. My book mentions that promonocytes are mitotic, and does not say anything about monocytes. The only reason I'm even hesitant about assuming they're post-mitotic is because myelocytes all *are* mitotic. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Members don't see this ad.

We didn't use this terminology in my histo course, but can't they differentiate into macrophages or osteoclasts after they've become monocytes?

We didn't use this terminology in my histo course, but can't they differentiate into macrophages or osteoclasts after they've become monocytes?
Yes, they do differentiate into macrophages once they get out into the tissues. But I can't figure out if they divide, or just differentiate? It probably doesn't even matter, but you know how these little things are....

Edit: never mind, I finally found a journal article that said that monocytes were nonproliferating. Thank god, now I can go back to studying something more important. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to figure out whether monocytes are mitotic or post-mitotic. I'm pretty sure they are usually post-mitotic (unless you stimulate them artificially), but if anyone could confirm, that would be great. My book mentions that promonocytes are mitotic, and does not say anything about monocytes. The only reason I'm even hesitant about assuming they're post-mitotic is because myelocytes all *are* mitotic. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Damn Q! I hope you become one of those crazy physician-scientists... this kind of question usually pops into my mind and then gets immediately erased. Good to know there are some people who are curious about these important but completely irrelevant details :D

i am not an expert...nor a med student...but my understanding is that a monocyte can indeed divide for survival...and that non-terminally differentiated monocytes can divide

the more prevalent discussion regarding monocytes is their differentiation process....as well as their role at tumor sites, etc.

try googling "mitotic monocyte" and there is a zebrafish study to support...

i am not an expert...nor a med student...but my understanding is that a monocyte can indeed divide for survival...and that non-terminally differentiated monocytes can divide

Wish you would have told us this earlier. This is a group of people who leave in fear of the boards, and you bringing it up makes us dread this is board level info. Don't mind helping you out, But you get a troll.

Attachments

• troll.jpg
    troll.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 37
Damn Q! I hope you become one of those crazy physician-scientists... this kind of question usually pops into my mind and then gets immediately erased. Good to know there are some people who are curious about these important but completely irrelevant details :D
I have to figure out stuff like this so that I can organize the info in my head; brute force memorization is NOT my forte. But yes, I do plan to go into research. :)

I have to figure out stuff like this so that I can organize the info in my head; brute force memorization is NOT my forte. But yes, I do plan to go into research. :)

Become a straight memorizer! Understanding the concept hasn't panned out well for me on the MC exams so far. Better to just recognize the words. :thumbup:

Search your feelings, you know it be true. If you only knew the power of the dark side...

Become a straight memorizer! Understanding the concept hasn't panned out well for me on the MC exams so far. Better to just recognize the words. :thumbup:

Search your feelings, you know it be true. If you only knew the power of the dark side...
:laugh: I really suck at just memorizing though. If I have a mnemonic, I can do it, but it takes a lot of time to come up with mnemonics for everything. Whereas, if I actually understand something, I don't forget it so quickly. I am not liking the whole brain drain thing that happens as soon as we finish one thing and go on to the next as it is.... :rolleyes: I've seriously forgotten everything from last fall already. :(