SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Any Hematopoiesis Experts Out There?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by QofQuimica, May 8, 2007.

1. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting.... Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Florida/Fellowship
    I'm trying to figure out whether monocytes are mitotic or post-mitotic. I'm pretty sure they are usually post-mitotic (unless you stimulate them artificially), but if anyone could confirm, that would be great. My book mentions that promonocytes are mitotic, and does not say anything about monocytes. The only reason I'm even hesitant about assuming they're post-mitotic is because myelocytes all *are* mitotic. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Guest

Feb 23, 2007
    We didn't use this terminology in my histo course, but can't they differentiate into macrophages or osteoclasts after they've become monocytes?

4. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting.... Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Florida/Fellowship
    Yes, they do differentiate into macrophages once they get out into the tissues. But I can't figure out if they divide, or just differentiate? It probably doesn't even matter, but you know how these little things are....

Edit: never mind, I finally found a journal article that said that monocytes were nonproliferating. Thank god, now I can go back to studying something more important. :p

5. SanDiegoSOD

SanDiegoSOD Milk was a bad choice 7+ Year Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Sunny California
    Damn Q! I hope you become one of those crazy physician-scientists... this kind of question usually pops into my mind and then gets immediately erased. Good to know there are some people who are curious about these important but completely irrelevant details :D

6. avery2007

avery2007 New Member 2+ Year Member

Jun 22, 2006
    i am not an expert...nor a med student...but my understanding is that a monocyte can indeed divide for survival...and that non-terminally differentiated monocytes can divide

the more prevalent discussion regarding monocytes is their differentiation process....as well as their role at tumor sites, etc.

try googling "mitotic monocyte" and there is a zebrafish study to support...

7. megadon

megadon 5+ Year Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Memphis
    Wish you would have told us this earlier. This is a group of people who leave in fear of the boards, and you bringing it up makes us dread this is board level info. Don't mind helping you out, But you get a troll.

Attached Files:

8. QofQuimica

Oct 12, 2004
    Florida/Fellowship
    I have to figure out stuff like this so that I can organize the info in my head; brute force memorization is NOT my forte. But yes, I do plan to go into research. :)

9. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Guest

Feb 23, 2007
    Become a straight memorizer! Understanding the concept hasn't panned out well for me on the MC exams so far. Better to just recognize the words. :thumbup:

Search your feelings, you know it be true. If you only knew the power of the dark side...

10. QofQuimica

Oct 12, 2004
    Florida/Fellowship
    :laugh: I really suck at just memorizing though. If I have a mnemonic, I can do it, but it takes a lot of time to come up with mnemonics for everything. Whereas, if I actually understand something, I don't forget it so quickly. I am not liking the whole brain drain thing that happens as soon as we finish one thing and go on to the next as it is.... :rolleyes: I've seriously forgotten everything from last fall already. :(