Any hispanic applicants who look white and dont know what to put down

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any colombians on here?? I mean colombian from colombia... not from miami.lol

Members don't see this ad.

I'm mexican, on my mothers side and have a czech last name (my father's side), though I do look hispanic, but decided to go ahead and list my ethnicity as a mexican-american. I'd also gotten scholarships through the hispanic college fund, so at least I had something to back up my story :D

My last name is Garcia. I'm white.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
My last name is Garcia. I'm white.

Who would have thought? :laugh:

This is one of those threads that should have a DNR order placed on them. LOL

For what it's worth, I think the only thing that should matter is socio-economic background.

PS: Any Dominicans on SDN? I'd like to think we are a rare breed around here. hehe

OK ok...Im dominican.(from the DOminican republic referred to earlier as Hispañiola which was the name given by the spanish and the island we today share with HAITI).

Quick history lesson,
My beautiful island was also named Isabella, after the queen of spain that granted Christopher Columbus La niña, la pinta and the santa maria....with which he then went on to discover the carribean, with my country being the first. We have the 1st cathedral in the americas, we have the 1st university, and we have the 1st City, Santo Domingo de Guzmán on which was back then called nicknamed bartolomeo, after christopher columbus' younger brother who was governor of the city when it was founded in 1494.

Now, the indigenous peoples of Hispaniola were called Tainos, of the arawak peoples. Now you know what happened (killed them all), christopher the great gave them mirrors for ALL of their gold and exploited them to work in gold mines until they were wiped. We (dominicans) are basically mestizos in a small part because the spanish did mate with the tainos, who were brown skinned. Most of the island however was not controlled by the spanish and in one of the treaties with France, spain gave the western side of the island to the French. Years after corruption and the gold was exhausted, spain b/c of wars on European fronts, forgot about Hispaniola, and the spanish side was lost to the French (haitian side)(Note that the importation of african slaves to SAnto domingo never happened. NO SLAVES were ever brought from africa to Santo Domingo.) With the island now merged (after the spanish lost it to the french), the african slaves brought over by the French mated with the already mestizos peoples of spanish decendance in santo domingo. That is why today there are dominicans that are black, mestizo and white in the dominican republic. That was that and when the racist (yes i do mean racist) mestizos of the spanish side declared independence the african slaves and mestizos were once again separated b/c of fear of becoming an all black nation (this is unfortunately true). To this day, many in the latin american community believe that all dominicans are black.

I am mestizo bordering on the white side. Most americans dont believe me when i say so. As do many latin americans. This also happens with friends and ppl i meet. This happens to almost everyone in my family. I have accounts of ppl even thinking i am arabic because i am not black, therefore i cannot be dominican.
Anyone see a problem with this? I do

racism in part of the latin american community is HUGE, and probably worse than in caucasian countries in my opinion. It is THERE whether we (hispanics) believe it or not.

I have some friends from mexico and peru who are mestizos as well, though a darker toned than me. Now, from their eyes I am black( they established this even after i said i was dominican and saw that i was lighter). Everytime When a conversation of race comes up, anyone that is black is compared to me. I have no problem with that as i said, i dont care as i consider myself hispanic. Now, the problem is that they consider themselves WHITE (CAUCASIAN) even though they are darker than me and have native american factions, they look native american. I see a problem with that. The fact is, if a black hispanic is brought to the spotlight, then everyone assumes, OH he Must be dominican. If he is white, Oh he must be cuban, etc..... why do we need to sterotype, we are all HISPANIC, which btw Means of SPANISH DECENT! We are not Spanish, we are not European. We are Hispanic.

yes it once meant that you are from the island of Hispaniola, but that was when we were the only colony since we were the 1st.

Whether you are cuban, dominican, mexican, pervian, colommbian, venezuelan, you aRE HISPANIC. So plz stop considering yourselfs white, black brown orange and yellow. You are what you are. STICK WITH It. The ignorance of ppl that still let race run their lives is ridiculous. I have another peruvian female friend who when describing a black person she just says "asi negrito como tu" which means "black just like you". ( I AM by No means hating on Peruvians, I love em to death, these ppl just happen to be peruvian. the fact of the matter is she believes that she is white, and that all peruvians are as well (Denies the existence of black peruvians).

my question to you is WHY do ppl still have this mentalilty?

its just ridiculous that some hispanics have to be so damn racist!

Btw, i was born in DR and raised there until 5, lived NY from 1995 until 2005, and now i live in south FL (not miami) I came here legally with US citizen ship as i was naturalized b4 i even came to US so STOP CALLING ME AND all Non ILLEGAL Hispanics Wetbacks LOU DOBBS !!!!

:laugh:
Who would have thought? :laugh:

This is one of those threads that should have a DNR order placed on them. LOL

For what it's worth, I think the only thing that should matter is socio-economic background.

PS: Any Dominicans on SDN? I'd like to think we are a rare breed around here. hehe

lol now that we are two, we can form SDDN : the Student Dominican Doctor Network

lets get going :laugh:

OK ok...Im dominican.(from the DOminican republic referred to earlier as Hispañiola which was the name given by the spanish and the island we today share with HAITI).

Quick history lesson,
My beautiful island was also named Isabella, after the queen of spain that granted Christopher Columbus La niña, la pinta and the santa maria....with which he then went on to discover the carribean, with my country being the first. We have the 1st cathedral in the americas, we have the 1st university, and we have the 1st City, Santo Domingo de Guzmán on which was back then called nicknamed bartolomeo, after christopher columbus' younger brother who was governor of the city when it was founded in 1494.

Now, the indigenous peoples of Hispaniola were called Tainos, of the arawak peoples. Now you know what happened (killed them all), christopher the great gave them mirrors for ALL of their gold and exploited them to work in gold mines until they were wiped. We (dominicans) are basically mestizos in a small part because the spanish did mate with the tainos, who were brown skinned. Most of the island however was not controlled by the spanish and in one of the treaties with France, spain gave the western side of the island to the French. Years after corruption and the gold was exhausted, spain b/c of wars on European fronts, forgot about Hispaniola, and the spanish side was lost to the French (haitian side)(Note that the importation of african slaves to SAnto domingo never happened. NO SLAVES were ever brought from africa to Santo Domingo.) With the island now merged (after the spanish lost it to the french), the african slaves brought over by the French mated with the already mestizos peoples of spanish decendance in santo domingo. That is why today there are dominicans that are black, mestizo and white in the dominican republic. That was that and when the racist (yes i do mean racist) mestizos of the spanish side declared independence the african slaves and mestizos were once again separated b/c of fear of becoming an all black nation (this is unfortunately true). To this day, many in the latin american community believe that all dominicans are black.

I am mestizo bordering on the white side. Most americans dont believe me when i say so. As do many latin americans. This also happens with friends and ppl i meet. This happens to almost everyone in my family. I have accounts of ppl even thinking i am arabic because i am not black, therefore i cannot be dominican.
Anyone see a problem with this? I do

racism in part of the latin american community is HUGE, and probably worse than in caucasian countries in my opinion. It is THERE whether we (hispanics) believe it or not.

I have some friends from mexico and peru who are mestizos as well, though a darker toned than me. Now, from their eyes I am black( they established this even after i said i was dominican and saw that i was lighter). Everytime When a conversation of race comes up, anyone that is black is compared to me. I have no problem with that as i said, i dont care as i consider myself hispanic. Now, the problem is that they consider themselves WHITE (CAUCASIAN) even though they are darker than me and have native american factions, they look native american. I see a problem with that. The fact is, if a black hispanic is brought to the spotlight, then everyone assumes, OH he Must be dominican. If he is white, Oh he must be cuban, etc..... why do we need to sterotype, we are all HISPANIC, which btw Means of SPANISH DECENT! We are not Spanish, we are not European. We are Hispanic.

yes it once meant that you are from the island of Hispaniola, but that was when we were the only colony since we were the 1st.

Whether you are cuban, dominican, mexican, pervian, colommbian, venezuelan, you aRE HISPANIC. So plz stop considering yourselfs white, black brown orange and yellow. You are what you are. STICK WITH It. The ignorance of ppl that still let race run their lives is ridiculous. I have another peruvian female friend who when describing a black person she just says "asi negrito como tu" which means "black just like you". ( I AM by No means hating on Peruvians, I love em to death, these ppl just happen to be peruvian. the fact of the matter is she believes that she is white, and that all peruvians are as well (Denies the existence of black peruvians).

my question to you is WHY do ppl still have this mentalilty?

its just ridiculous that some hispanics have to be so damn racist!

Btw, i was born in DR and raised there until 5, lived NY from 1995 until 2005, and now i live in south FL (not miami) I came here legally with US citizen ship as i was naturalized b4 i even came to US so STOP CALLING ME AND all Non ILLEGAL Hispanics Wetbacks LOU DOBBS !!!!

Dude, semi-WallOfText!

In my case I was born in NYC but I've lived roughly 1/3 of my life in NYC 1/3 in Dominican Republic and 1/3 in Philadelphia. :D

I honestly don't know what race I look like to other people, but since in my area latinos are predominantly Puerto Rican that's what I've been associated with the most.

SDDN? I hope someone's cooking some platanos. :luck:

Dude, semi-WallOfText!

In my case I was born in NYC but I've lived roughly 1/3 of my life in NYC 1/3 in Dominican Republic and 1/3 in Philadelphia. :D

I honestly don't know what race I look like to other people, but since in my area latinos are predominantly Puerto Rican that's what I've been associated with the most.

SDDN? I hope someone's cooking some platanos. :luck:

Sorry for the long post, its just taht i hate it when ppl get history wrong. I feel i have the responsability to educate whenever possible!

SPDN=Student Doctor Platanos Network:laugh: