Any hope for me..advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeChellD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well my MCATs scores were a lot lower than i could have ever imagined (22)....i've never excelled at tests of this type.....however i have a 4.0 and have played football at my college for 3 years, not to mention other activities....is there ANY chance a medical school (MD or DO) would consider me...or am i wasting my time...i know retaking the MCATs is always an option and, probably a MUST in my case,...but does anyone know of ANY schools that would be willing to take a chance on a really hard working kid that just doesn't do well on these types of tests:( ....i'd love some imput.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey DeChellD,

If you're not a URM, you still have a good shot at DO schools. You should also apply to your state's MD schools and see what happens - the 4.0 and your activities will stand out.

If you are a URM, a 22 still isn't great, but it's not a big deal - apply to a bunch of MD schools (and still some DOs) and you'll at least get interviews.

I'm not expert, but i've worked in pre-med advising with a prof who has lots of experience, and this is what I can tell you. Good luck with the process, and remember that there is more to your application than just the scores.

-Quid

Hey DeChelleD, I like what Quid had to say about the whole situation. I know for a fact that you'll have a better shot at getting into an MD school in your home state with your scores but if you're looking outside at another area, it's iffy. I know exactly what you mean about not being such a strong test-taker on tests like the MCAT. I'm actually preparing to take it next year but I just don't have the level of confidence I should have at this point in my college career about confronting the MCAT.

Anyway, i'm not really giving advice here but don't be so gloom. With the kind of record you have and the activities you've been involved in, you should be o.k. Afterall, alot of school don't necessarily base EVERYTHING on JUST the MCAT score. They tend to look at the whole individual (seeing that the grade alone doesn't make the doctor).

I know this might not have helped any but I do hope that you feel better. You might be telling me something along the same line here in a few months....:)

Corey.

If you took it again do you think that you could do better and get up into the upper twenties? Or do you think that you would get a similar score? State schools and DO schools would be good options (as quid suggested). If you really don't want to try again, or feel you would get the same score, then go ahead and apply- what do you have to lose? You could always try and explain it in some sort of reasonable way on your essay. Do you have a pre-med committee that could also vouch for you in their letter? I got a "L" on the writing section (ridiculus by the way) and my pre-med committee is going to mention that it is a fluke. Being well rounded (like your football) is really great, MCAT scores are only one part. Hope some of that was helpful, best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely sympathize with your situation....taking these kinds of tests is harder for some people than for others, regardless of their science background. But not to rain on your parade, but unless there is some huge mitigating factor (URM status helps), I think it is pretty much a necessity for you to take the test again and score at least a few points higher.

Some of you may disagree with me, and I'm no expert on admissions myself...so I guess a good idea would be to talk to people with a better grasp of admissions in your state, like your pre-med advisor (you may have already done this, sorry if I skimmed over that part in your post).

But another thing to consider is the fact that "these types" of tests are very common, if not in medical school (I guess there could be some schools with a less traditional method of testing), then for passing the boards.

This doesn't mean that you shouldn't go to med school, or that you can't, but I do think it would be good for you to try to work on some techniques for improving your test-taking skills. Otherwise, what will you do if you don't pass the boards...try to explain the reasons why you have trouble on tests, so they should let you pass anyway?

I'm not trying to be mean at all, sorry if it comes off that way.... just honest. I know improvement on the MCAT is definitely possible, if you want to go the route of retaking.

Karen 44,

Congratulations on your impressive score on the april mcat. And as you said, this TYPE of testing is much more difficult for some. Obviously the above poster has had no trouble whatsoever with regular tests in school but has some trouble with standardized testing. I'd like to know what you suggest for improving test taking abilities. I am assuming that most programs work on regular test taking skills. I'm just not sure if this would work for a test like the mcat, more so for just general skills for school tests ( which this person clearly does NOT need)...I think one needs to figure out the mcat. Karen, with such an impressive score, I thought you would contribute a bit more towards giving detailed tips on how to master the MCAT and how to improve. I think your opinion does little for Dechell's current situation and leaves him pondering the question: What do I have to do to improve.

Dechell, unfortunatley I do think you should retake. I think improvement is definately possible and it will help your chances immensely. Maybe the second time around you will get a better feeling for what the MCAT looks for in its quesitons. As a previous poster said, it just takes lots of practice. If I figure out how to master this puppy, I'll let you know, okay?

BDF

As I said, my intent was not to be mean or unhelpful, just to avoid sugarcoating the situation. I'm sorry if you didn't think my opinion was helpful...but would the only helpful opinion be "yes, your score is fine"? You didn't offer any "detailed tips" on doing well on the MCAT either, and yet you felt justified in sharing your opinion.

Whatever, it's not a big deal to me...but if I knew what specific problems the poster is having with the MCAT, I would be more than happy to give my advice...but I don't know that, and the poster did not go into detail himself. I don't think there's a generic "here's how to do well on the MCAT" strategy...what works may be different for everyone.

As to improving test-taking skills, I agree that a regular class on that might not be well suited to the MCAT....I actually didn't think about his high GPA when I wrote my first post, so I apologize for that. But maybe sitting down with a tutor who has taken the MCAT could be the thing to bring his score up a bit...I know Kaplan and probably some other companies offer this, or he could ask around for a tutor not associated with a company.

I'm heading out for a while, and really I'm not interested in getting in a heated debate over nothing anyway...but really, your "detailed tip" for the MCAT is "it just takes lots of practice"? Sounds like someone is actually only a bit upset about his own score...

karen44,

i did not mean to start a heated debate either. moreover, i'm trying to extract some things that may have worked for you. you're absolutely right, the mcat did not go as well as i expected. in fact, i scored lower than some of my practice tests. as i said to the OP, if i figure this thing out, i'd let him know (i.e. i'm not sure how to conquer this thing either). Of course, I don't think you should tell him his score is fine...because I agree that it isn't. We both need to retake the mcat because even though other things in our application are above avg. having a just average mcat most likely won't do it (thats why i suggested to him to retake). Again, the reason I didn't offer any detailed tips is because whatever I was doing wasn't working as good as what you did :)
And with the practice note, I'm just thinking that could be something he/she did not do enough of the first time around...maybe it wasn't...I"m not sure. But karen, with your superior score, please expound on what us standardized test do-dos can't understand. I don't want a heated debate either...I just think you could contribute more on what you learned about this test. Or do you think its a genetic thing?.....have a good night out!

Originally posted by karen44
Sounds like someone is actually only a bit upset about his own score...

ok, i think everyone in this forum needs to take a post-mcat-score-retrieval chill session. let's just forget about this curse of a test for a while and relax (like frankie goes to hollywood :cool: ). there's been an underlying rudeness in a lot of threads, not excluding this one. i myself am not immune to these feelings either. let's all just take a couple days without rejoicing or moping about test scores. i think it would do everyone a bit of good.

I really think that a lot of is innate ability to do well but some can be learned. I did not do stellar but not shabby either, but I had to study much more than all the other folks here probably did. Spent hundreds of hours and tons of practice MCAT's, one thing that could help is going over the questions you did wrong and finding a pattern. Learn from your mistakes and see if this yields any improvement. Also, many times for the answers (if there are calculations involved, which my test did not have a lot of calc) you do not need to do the whole addition/subtraction/multiplication, you can just start it and then see what number you get and look at the options before doing the whole calculation and some times there is only one possible answer with your number. This is very helpful when dealing with multiple conversions with scientific notation or heavily involved calculations. I told my friend about this and it saved her some precious minutes..

DeChellD...I was in your exact shoes a year ago! I too received a 22 (my overall gpa was 3.6 and 3.4 science) and had to decide to apply or not and if I should retake the mcat. I did what others have suggested to you. I applied early and studied my tail off for the August mcat. My premed adviser told me that all I had to lose was time and money and that most schools would wait for my august scores before throwing my app. out. I would also strongly suggest looking into D.O. schools as they tend to look overlook a low mcat/gpa if the rest of the application is strong.

I ended up getting 3 interviews from osteopathic schools (CCOM, KCOM and AZCOM) before my August scores were even released. I was accepted at all three of these schools and will be attending AZCOM this fall. I ended getting a 25 for the august exam and received no more interviews. Basically studying the whole summer and retaking didn't end up helping me at all.

thanks for everyones advice in this matter.......i'm always open minded as to peoples opinions and comments.......and Karen 44 i was not offended in anyway...i would have it no other way than honesty......keep the advice coming people....and maybe some DO schools that you guys think are really on the up and up.......just holla back and leave me some info.....THANKS

DeChellD, I'm glad you didn't take offense...I honestly wanted only to be helpful, and I apologize anyway if I came off as rude at all.

When I get a chance, I will try to come up with some general tips for the MCAT and post them if you or anyone else would like...though I would be concerned that people might find this to be pretentious, like I think I'm the MCAT goddess or something! Or that they would say that I have no "right" to post tips since I didn't break 40! Maybe I shouldn't worry so much...anyway...

If you know what specific problems you're having with the MCAT, you can either post or PM me and I will try to give better advice.

Good luck,

Karen44

Originally posted by DeChellD
thanks for everyones advice in this matter.......i'm always open minded as to peoples opinions and comments.......and Karen 44 i was not offended in anyway...i would have it no other way than honesty......keep the advice coming people....and maybe some DO schools that you guys think are really on the up and up.......just holla back and leave me some info.....THANKS

DeChell,

Hang in there with me. I've started to study for the August retake, and even though it sucks...all I think of is revenge. I don't think you have to look at those DO schools just yet. If you improve that score by 4 points (which a friend of mine did from august to april), I think you have a good shot at a few schools. Lets just study hard and improve to the acceptable range!

Karen44,

Thank you for your willingness to share some tips. I don't care if your score was slightly below 40, please post any tips you might have. If anyone says otherwise, I'll get on them. Good luck in the admissions process.

BDF

Types of tests are common? that is a load of bull****, if verbal is or was ur problem anyone dont worry youll never see a verbal section again. The people i feel badly for are the ones who completely rocked their verbal and got into med but had subpar science mcat scores or a science gpa. Verbal will do jack for your step 1s, it is the strong science scorers who will shine when it counts.. so ur in med with a enormous mcat score.. everyone is on teh same playing field in med.. clean slate.. let the sciene minds shine.. let you verbal masters get destroyed

Originally posted by Ramoray
Types of tests are common? that is a load of bull****, if verbal is or was ur problem anyone dont worry youll never see a verbal section again. The people i feel badly for are the ones who completely rocked their verbal and got into med but had subpar science mcat scores or a science gpa. Verbal will do jack for your step 1s, it is the strong science scorers who will shine when it counts.. so ur in med with a enormous mcat score.. everyone is on teh same playing field in med.. clean slate.. let the sciene minds shine.. let you verbal masters get destroyed

Ramoray - i don't know too many ppl that rocked the verbal and bombed the science sections...

Originally posted by DeChellD
Well my MCATs scores were a lot lower than i could have ever imagined (22)....i've never excelled at tests of this type.....however i have a 4.0 and have played football at my college for 3 years, not to mention other activities....is there ANY chance a medical school (MD or DO) would consider me...or am i wasting my time...i know retaking the MCATs is always an option and, probably a MUST in my case,...but does anyone know of ANY schools that would be willing to take a chance on a really hard working kid that just doesn't do well on these types of tests:( ....i'd love some imput.

At least you used the word "advice" rather than "advise" in the thread title. That alone proves you're smarter than most people asking for advice on sdn.