Any HPSP reserved for already active duty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

denthopeful86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Currently I am an Airman about half way through my 6 year enlistment. I have spent the last few years finishing up my undergrad in Russian and starting to pursue the prerequisites for dental school. I was looking at the HPSP and realized that it is an awesome idea. However, I also realized that it is extremely competitive which doesn't bother me, I just like to have the best chances I can give myself. I have heard that there are scholarships reserved for active duty members that go unclaimed. Is this true? Thanks ahead for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak about the Air Force and my experience. The numbers today could be very different but when I was applying for school starting in 2009 the following is the general situation, as it was explained to me. There are a relatively large number of scholarships for those who have no previous affiliation with the Air Force. There were 5 scholarships for individuals who had a previous relationship with the Air Force. 2 were given to the Air Force Academy, 2 were given to ROTC and 1 was given to an active duty member. If the scholarships were not filled by the given category it could be filled by another category (for example if only 1 ROTC member was accepted to dental school it could go to either a 3rd Academy grad or a 2nd active duty member). The year I applied I believe there were 2 of us from active duty for the one slot. I don't know about the ROTC or the Academy numbers and I don't know if the other active duty member was given a scholarship.

AFI 41-110 would be good for you to take a look at, if you haven't yet. It covers the topic and the required steps that must be taken for members on active duty.

Hey everyone,

Currently I am an Airman about half way through my 6 year enlistment. I have spent the last few years finishing up my undergrad in Russian and starting to pursue the prerequisites for dental school. I was looking at the HPSP and realized that it is an awesome idea. However, I also realized that it is extremely competitive which doesn't bother me, I just like to have the best chances I can give myself. I have heard that there are scholarships reserved for active duty members that go unclaimed. Is this true? Thanks ahead for your help!
Yes. We still have some that are for active duty Airmen.