Any ideas of how to improve my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AgingKCPreDent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a In-State M.S. Student studying Molecular and Cellular Biology hoping to get into UMKC's program. (I have applied twice as OOS and once as IS) and have applied to more schools than just UMKC, but I am "most likely" to get in there/it's where I want to go.

My biggest issue according to the admissions director is my undergraduate GPA. But does anyone have any opinions on what else I could improve on my application? I am already retaking a few undergraduate classes I didn't do as well in to improve my undergraduate science GPA. (UMKC does grade replacement rather than grade averaging)

Undergrad GPA: 3.17 (Science 2.9)
Graduate GPA: 3.5 (Science 3.5)

DAT Scores:
TS: 19
AA: 19
QR: 18
RC: 22
BIO: 19
GC: 18
OC:18
PAT: 23

Shadowing Hours: 250+ (40+ at UMKC's Dental School)
Volunteer Hours: 550+ (80 Dental related)
Undergraduate Research Hours: 1600 (1 publication)
Graduate Research Hours: 2000+ (Should have publication by summer)

Officer Position held in Fraternity: 4 Semesters + Started a new chapter at other university from ground up
Pre-Dental Club/Society Member at both Undergrad and in Grad
Received 2 Cancer Research Awards
Private Tutored
Worked Part Time through undergrad
Graduate Teaching Assistant for all 4 semesters of M.S.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would retake the DAT. Try to get a 21+ and you'll be set in my opinion. Everything else looks good since you're improving/have improved your GPA!

I would say that your biggest issue is your MS GPA compared to your UG GPA. Dental schools want to see that you can do the work and with a 3.5 in your graduate work, that really isn't showing them you can handle the load. They want to see a 3.75 or better for a graduate program. I'm also wondering why the IS grad program and not Biology or Chemistry. That seems to toss up some flags that you really aren't committed to dental school too. I think there is a chart floating around here, maybe from Doc Toothache, showing the average GPA of post-bacc/MS acceptances and it's 3.8ish I think. Maybe apply to some research heavy schools and hope for the best??? I also think putting all of your eggs in one basket is a very long shot. I know you applied to other schools but you need to get over that you probably won't get into KC and start rethinking your end goal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I too am an aging KC predent. UMKC is a great program and I truly hope to get in there myself. I am a Kansas resident on my second application cycle with them. I certainly understand wanting to put your eggs (at least most of them) in one basket. I just turned 40, my wife and I are both from the area, both have aging parents in the area that have had some pretty serious health problems in the last year, and we are home owners so it is definitely a different ball game from back when I could easily throw most of my junk in a truck and move 1000+ miles with few other concerns.

Last year I was rejected without an interview in early October. This year I was invited to interview and was wait listed on December 1st, so there is a small chance that I might get in yet, although I definitely plan to reapply. I will probably apply to additional schools next year, although I'm tempted to only go with UMKC again.

I graduated undergrad in 1999 with a 2.7ish GPA with a BA in Psychology. In 2011 I returned to school full time and earned a BS in Molecular Biosciences with a 4.0 GPA in 2014. I repeated a few pre-requisites along the way because I was a freshman in Engineering way back when and messed that up pretty badly. My DAT is 22 AA and 22TS.

SO, I think that you are on the right track, please continue to stay in contact with the admissions office and take their advice. Following their advice made a big difference for me this year. Continue to retake classes that you didn't perform well in previously. Also, I think that DentalGirl5 is on track by suggesting that you retake the DAT. While I did well in my 2nd degree I believe that there was a comment made that my DAT score would help the admissions committee somewhat overlook my lower total GPA.

I too am interested in why the turn to the IS MS...you've done so much shadowing and a good amount of dental volunteering so I don't doubt your commitment to dentistry, but obviously ajj70 noted it so you may want to be prepared to answer the question if asked. I of course understand that as an older student you HAVE to get something going in your life, just in case you don't get in right away or if fortunes change and you find that you can't continue as a student.

Best of luck to you. Hopefully we will both make it and be classmates at some point.

@wjc @ajj70 Sorry I wasn't clear. I am an In-State M.S. Student studying Molecular and Cellular Biology.

Reactions: 1 user