Any improvements I need to work on

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jn7771992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm in the process of improving my application for PT school. My GPA from undergrad was pretty bad due to changing majors, anxiety issues, and a death in the family affected my GPA. I applied to five schools last year and I got rejected, so I need some advice how to improve my chances.

Here are my stats from the first time I applied so far including retakes right now:
PTCAS cGPA: 2.68 (GPA will update when I apply again)
PRE-REQ GPA: 3.33-3.80 (GPA ranges including retakes)
SCIENCE GPA: 2.19 (GPA will update when I apply again)
A&P 1: D,C,A
A&P 2: B
BIO 1: B
BIO 2: B
CHEM 1: C, A
CHEM 2: C
PHYSICS 1: B
PHYSICS 2: C, (currently retaking the class now and have an A in so far)
DEVELOPMENTAL PSYCH: D,C,A
ABNORMAL PSYCH: C
GENERAL PSYCH: B
STATS: C, A
ENGLISH: A

GRE: 279
Verbal: 133
Quantitative: 146
AW: 4.0

Observation hours: 222 hours in Outpatient, Inpatient, Sports Medicine, Nursing homes, Geriatrics
-Currently working as a Rehab Tech at an Outpatient Orthopedic and Sports Medicine

Please message me!
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I'm in the process of improving my application for PT school. My GPA from undergrad was pretty bad due to changing majors, anxiety issues, and a death in the family affected my GPA. I applied to five schools last year and I got rejected, so I need some advice how to improve my chances.

Here are my stats from the first time I applied so far including retakes right now:

Observation hours: 222 hours in Outpatient, Inpatient, Sports Medicine, Nursing homes, Geriatrics
-Currently working as a Rehab Tech at an Outpatient Orthopedic and Sports Medicine

Please message me!
Thank you
i know it's a lot but i would try focusing on the classes you have C's and D's in and try retaking them. I know where I went to undergrad, it's expensive to retake classes but maybe you can take come at a local community college. Your GRE is a little low but my scores aren't that great either. I would try to get both sections at least a 145, or focus on getting the quantitative up.
I'm really sorry about your experience ): I hope things turn around for you

Reactions: 1 user
i know it's a lot but i would try focusing on the classes you have C's and D's in and try retaking them. I know where I went to undergrad, it's expensive to retake classes but maybe you can take come at a local community college. Your GRE is a little low but my scores aren't that great either. I would try to get both sections at least a 145, or focus on getting the quantitative up.
I'm really sorry about your experience ): I hope things turn around for you

Thank you for your advice. I had a hard time understanding that everyone has their own pace and not just about the timeline on when would I get in the program. I graduated and finished undergrad and retaking classes at a community college as well as retaking the GRE.

Are you in PT school right now?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to want to apply strategically to schools next year. That is, only apply to schools that consider pGPA over cGPA. Not only that, but make sure that you apply to schools that take the higher grades for retaken courses. So any course that you have less than an A in, I personally would retake. Of course, make sure you prioritize retaking the courses where you got C's and D's.

Next, study your butt off for the GRE. Get a subscription to Magoosh, use their flashcard app, and get to work. I was able to get to the 80th percentile for the Verbal section just by memorizing 700 new words. Since Verbal is clearly your weak point, I would prioritize studying that more than the quant section. Especially since PT schools usually prefer a higher verbal score than a higher quant score.

If you can manage this, you can get into PT school.

Reactions: 1 user

Please message me!
Thank you

I got into PT school with a low cGPA and pGPA of 3.33. I had 6000 medical hours with 3000 as a PT aide and the others as ER scribe, Pharm tech and EMT. It is possible you will just have to be strategic on where you apply make sure you meet the requirements at that the school weighs experience or pGPA more than other components of the application. You can also look at schools outside of PTCAS which get less applicants. Really the best thing you can do is score very well on your GRE. With your gpa I suggest getting a gre combined score of 312+ its possible just will have to study your ass off. Good luck!

Your GPA might be a little harder to raise if you already have a lot of credit hours so I would suggest getting your GRE score to be very competitive (minimum 310). Hours look good! Try getting in as many settings as you can (maybe peds or neuro if you have the time) Retake those C and D classes. Apply to schools that have lower GPA requirements or look at last 60