Need help improving my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jn7771992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I'm in a dilemma after I got 2 rejection letters. I'm still waiting for 14 more schools to hear back and I'm at the point now to improve my application if worst comes to worst happen. I retook 7 pre-req classes which are now A's, retook the GRE three times (unfortunately my score is below 300), observed 8 different settings, interning with a PT business owner while working as a rehab tech at a OP PT clinic for two years now.

PTCAS cGPA: 2.84 (with retakes)
pGPA: 3.4-3.8 (depending on schools)
GRE scores: 140V, 149Q 4.0W (after three times with Magoosh and Kaplan)

Should I take easy GPA boosting courses to bump it to my cGPA to a 3.0 while studying for the GRE or just study for the GRE?

P.S: I'm planning on using testmasters to study for the GRE

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the main thing is your cumulative GPA and GRE. Mainly your GPA because most schools have a minimum requirement of 3.0. So I think you’ll increase your odds of getting in once your GPA hits a 3.0.
You could also just apply to schools that don’t require the GRE and you won’t have to retake it.
But I would wait until this cycle is over before you pay for any classes. You never know what might happen. There have been plenty of people who have gotten in with below average scores.

I agree ^^^ since you still have 14 more schools to hear back from, I would be patient and wait until you have answers from those schools. However, it does depend on if the schools you applied to have minimums for GPA or GRE (Note: a minimum and a recommended GRE/GPA are not the same thing). If a school has minimums for GPA or GRE, they will most likely not look at all those patient hours you have and just reject your application. Schools use these minimums to sort through a lot of applications. So, if your schools have minimums and you are not hitting them (in either the GRE or GPA) you will NEED to fix those at some point. As for studying, if you have taken it three times already you should really look into only focusing on that until you take the exam again (otherwise you will probably end up retaking it again).

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree your cumulative GPA and GRE are likely holding you back. Perchance could you pick up another major? And what do you think your strength is with the GRE? I knew mine would be verbal, so I really focused a lot on that to get my score. I'm a 302, and my enrollment adviser told me that's competitive (even though I don't really think it is but I suppose it is for that school I applied to).

Hey y'all,

I'm in a dilemma after I got 2 rejection letters. I'm still waiting for 14 more schools to hear back and I'm at the point now to improve my application if worst comes to worst happen. I retook 7 pre-req classes which are now A's, retook the GRE three times (unfortunately my score is below 300), observed 8 different settings, interning with a PT business owner while working as a rehab tech at a OP PT clinic for two years now.

PTCAS cGPA: 2.84 (with retakes)
pGPA: 3.4-3.8 (depending on schools)
GRE scores: 140V, 149Q 4.0W (after three times with Magoosh and Kaplan)

Should I take easy GPA boosting courses to bump it to my cGPA to a 3.0 while studying for the GRE or just study for the GRE?

P.S: I'm planning on using testmasters to study for the GRE

Thank you!
Your cGPA is really low. It probably only make sense to apply to schools that look at the last 60 (or something around that) units for your GPA.
I myself struggled with verbal part of GRE and could never get it high enough. Repetitions and time management during practice tests helped a little bit. But if you just cannot get it high enough, also find schools that do not look at GRE.