colchicine

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2005
41
0
Status
Could anyone give me any info at all on the anesthesia program at SUNY Downstate ??? How is the program as far as the clinical experience, how is the teaching, are the residents happy, where do they end up after completing the program or any other input ???
 

sean wilson

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2002
128
0
Visit site
Status
colchicine said:
Could anyone give me any info at all on the anesthesia program at SUNY Downstate ??? How is the program as far as the clinical experience, how is the teaching, are the residents happy, where do they end up after completing the program or any other input ???
I'd watch out. The place is very OLD and RUN DOWN. Most people who went there to school told me they weren't ranking the place.
 

impetigo

Anesthesia Resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2004
76
0
USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The facilities at Downstate are definitely depressing and in a crappy neighborhood, but their other hospital, Long Island College Hospital, is pretty nice and in a nice part of brooklyn. I hear training there is decent but that the residents work really hard. The residents I spoke to during my interview there seemed pretty happy though, but who knows it could've been a sham. I'm interested in hearing what other people have heard or know about this program though.
 

Brian Pavlovitz

give me that marrow!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 31, 2003
599
0
46
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
impetigo said:
The facilities at Downstate are definitely depressing and in a crappy neighborhood, but their other hospital, Long Island College Hospital, is pretty nice and in a nice part of brooklyn. I hear training there is decent but that the residents work really hard. The residents I spoke to during my interview there seemed pretty happy though, but who knows it could've been a sham. I'm interested in hearing what other people have heard or know about this program though.
I'm a third year student currently rotating through anesthesia at Long Island College Hospital as part of my general surgery rotation. I have to say that a majority of the residents there are very pleasant and knowledgeable--the same goes for the attendings that I've had interactions with. In talking with an attending today, it seems that the program is lacking a bit in regional, but he claims that he is trying to rectify that (just today we did 2 intrascalene blocks, which was neat to see). There are both IMG's and D.O.'s in the program, but as I said, the residents that I've met were very cool and relatively happy with the program.

So, my limited experience has been positive; unfortunately I don't have any information on the other sites for Downstate's program. For what it's worth, the LICH O.R.'s are not "dumpy"--again, I can't speak for the other clinical sites.

Hope that helps!
 

downstateguy

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
20
0
Status
the hospitals vary from run down to crappy to ok. as far as the physical plant goes, none are outstanding.

the anesthesia residents don't seem to work very hard...I'm sure they do have their tough months in the ICU, etc., I just haven't seen it.

I'm not going into anesthesia, but if I were, I don't think I'd rank the place. There are just too many good programs in far nicer areas, and frankly being in kings county is depressing.
 
OP
C

colchicine

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2005
41
0
Status
Brian Pavlovitz said:
:D I've heard this, too!
Thanks for the input

Besides the hospital, what is the reputation of the program itself ? Is it considered a strong program ? Would u be very strong coming out of there and able to handle anything once in practice ? Where do their residents end up after residency ?
And also how are the didactics ?

ONLY 4 days left to submit the final ROL :scared:

good luck to all of u and thanks for the help...
 

sean wilson

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2002
128
0
Visit site
Status
Yes, it's going to look good because if you can handle the situation there, it's assumed you can handle it anywhere. This is similar to USC. The problem is that you won't be having a good time, and there are many other places where you'll be as well trained and get just as good a job, if not better.
 
OP
C

colchicine

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2005
41
0
Status
sean wilson said:
Yes, it's going to look good because if you can handle the situation there, it's assumed you can handle it anywhere. This is similar to USC. The problem is that you won't be having a good time, and there are many other places where you'll be as well trained and get just as good a job, if not better.
I can't decide whether to rank it higher than University of Arizona...I'd rather live in NYC than in Arizona, however I think I might be happier with the program at the U of A...bottom line I can't figure out where I'll be happier overall ???
 

VentdependenT

You didnt build thaT
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
4,010
23
44
Louisville
www.somethingawful.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Tuscon is a small town but phoenix is just a two hour drive away. You can crash at those big resorts there during the off months for less than 100 bucks a night. Its like being on vacation.

Also Vegas and LA are all short flights ( 50 min) or relatively short drives from phoenix if you need bigger thrills. Its gets pretty flippen hot during the summer though. 115's F. Don't leave your CD's in the car or they will get bubbles in them.
 
OP
C

colchicine

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2005
41
0
Status
VentdependenT said:
Tuscon is a small town but phoenix is just a two hour drive away. You can crash at those big resorts there during the off months for less than 100 bucks a night. Its like being on vacation.

Also Vegas and LA are all short flights ( 50 min) or relatively short drives from phoenix if you need bigger thrills. Its gets pretty flippen hot during the summer though. 115's F. Don't leave your CD's in the car or they will get bubbles in them.

Apart from location, can anyone help me make a decision based on the 2 programs ???
 

flipcyde

New Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
84
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I know, super-old thread. This was the best one out of the bunch regarding SUNY Downstate. Seemed like it had pretty negative comments here. On scutwork the reviews were generally positive. Was wondering if there are any current opinions. I am interested in this program for various reasons but mainly because I want to stay in the NYC area.
Thanks for your comments!