Any interview invitations/rejections yet? (Match 2012)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How many candidates do residency sites usually interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the number of positions needed to fill.

I hear 8-12 applicants per position, but I personally don't know.

I would also think it would depend on the status of the program, as in, newer/candidate status programs would have to interview more as applicants may rank them lower (backup programs) vs. high-demand sites like the VA.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, that really sucks. I feel bad for you. :(

But consider something: are you sure that your preceptor's involved in the resident selection process? I ask because I work at a hospital that has a residency and a lot of my students think that because I precept students, I help select residents. However, I actually have nothing to do with resident selection. So it could be that your preceptor did want to interview you, but the selection committee didn't ask for his/her opinion.

Yup, this is the person that the letter of intent and recommendation letters are to be addressed to. Plus the office is swarming with application folders that they can't fit in the collating filing cabinet. So I'm pretty sure that this preceptor is involved with the process. Also I'm pretty close with the people in the selection committee but I do not know my preceptor very well unfortunately.

I'm totally fine with they rejecting me--but I just want them to let me know. Plus, I hope I don't have to see the people they interview...because that would be a little bit of a sting. lol. I would still want to do a PGY-2 there though... =) Even if they rejected me this time, no real hard feelings since I know the other applicants had higher GPAs than me ( my gpa is quite low )

I hear 8-12 applicants per position, but I personally don't know.

I would also think it would depend on the status of the program, as in, newer/candidate status programs would have to interview more as applicants may rank them lower (backup programs) vs. high-demand sites like the VA.

Thoughts?

Agreed.

There is newly accredited program in my state that still accepted applications weeks after the deadline because they didn't get enough applications. VA, I'm sure, know that no one is crazy enough to NOT rank them... so they can afford to get by with interview very few applicants.

I think that many of the VAs I spoke to during Midyear said not to lose hope if they don't get back to me because they may use me as a back up in case an interviewed candidate didn't meet their expectations in person OR if someone didn't want to accept the interview. Though this is unlikely, I mean who is crazy enough to drop a VA interview---unless they applied to all the VAs and didn't want to make the trip to another state. On the other hand... a VA that I applied to actually wrote that in the email "At this time, we are unable to interview you for the position. However you may be called upon if we an applicant fails to accept our invitation for an interview" etc etc etc.

Last edited:
Agreed with 8-12 applicants per position, but most programs interview 3-6 applicants per position. This could be more or less depending on the number of positions.

We got a 1:6 application ratio and are interviewing 1:4.

8-12? I thought it was more, especially a lot of the VAs. Someone told me that the ratio for one of the (non-VA) programs I applied to (and got declined from) was about 40 applicants per position, and the UIC am care PGY1 was close to 100 applicants for their 1 position.

And about VA programs, they are not equal. Some seem to be better than others, so I think some of them could have applicants declining interviews.

Last edited:
Agreed with 8-12 applicants per position, but most programs interview 3-6 applicants per position. This could be more or less depending on the number of positions.

We got a 1:6 application ratio and are interviewing 1:4.

bacillus1 said:
8-12? I thought it was more, especially a lot of the VAs. Someone told me that the ratio for one of the (non-VA) programs I applied to (and got declined from) was about 40 applicants per position, and the UIC am care PGY1 was close to 100 applicants for their 1 position.

And about VA programs, they are not equal. Some seem to be better than others, so I think some of them could have applicants declining interviews.

Yeah what the hell, I thought it was some insane number like 30+ applicants per position. Our hospital's residency director was giving us a lecture and wheeled in the applications for residency that year, that thing was at least 2+ feet tall.

I'm only interviewing at small programs (non-VA) so I kind of feel a lot better knowing knowing I'm probably up against 12-18 other people. :xf:

Yeah what the hell, I thought it was some insane number like 30+ applicants per position. Our hospital's residency director was giving us a lecture and wheeled in the applications for residency that year, that thing was at least 2+ feet tall.

I'm only interviewing at small programs (non-VA) so I kind of feel a lot better knowing knowing I'm probably up against 12-18 other people. :xf:

At my program, we interview 8 per position. Any more than that becomes cumbersome and muddies up the picture, IMO. We have 2-3 times that number apply per position, however.

A lot probably depends on the popularity of the the program because those programs get many more applications.

Here is a good read:
http://www.ajhp.org/content/68/15/1437

The data is 2 yrs old, but it looks like programs got 1:14 applications (probably more now) and interviewed at 1:5 (probably the same)...so I guess my estimate was a little conservative in regards to numbers of applications. These are all academic medical centers, however, so the numbers might not translate to smaller hospitals...

Ahhh, got the interview invitation to my top choice today! Really wasn't expecting someone to call me on a Sunday morning but so glad that they did. So now I'm wondering how many interviews to go on, if I do get any more invitations. Knowing that they are interviewing 4-5 times as many applicants as there are positions, I guess the more interviews the better, right? Well, within reason of what's doable and affordable anyway.

So, do you guys think that by the end of January, if an applicant doesn't hear back, its safe to assume that there were rejected? Or are there programs that actually contact interviewees during February?

So, do you guys think that by the end of January, if an applicant doesn't hear back, its safe to assume that there were rejected? Or are there programs that actually contact interviewees during February?

When I applied, applicants heard about interviews until the middle of February. This was not the norm, but it did happen.

I only have 1 interview so far and am getting nervous since I have not heard back from 3 of my sites yet.

Anyone know sites that are still accepting applications??? I am glad I got at least one interview but I don't want to put all of my eggs in one basket. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to share. Interview offer today, deadline was Jan 6th. 4 total applications with 1 invite and still waiting on the other 3. Cheers!

Is it okay to reject an interview offer?

Yes, by all means please do not accept the interview if you do not want it or are not planning on attending. Please let them know as soon as possible so that another candidate may get the offer.

Just politely decline "Thank you for your consideration, however I am unable to accept the offer to interview." Something along those lines. They don't really need an explaination.

So I was just on the website to one of the programs I applied to but didn't hear back from yet. As I was under the "residency preceptor tab" i saw a link to an application form. I then went back to the application process page and the link to that form was not there with the other forms. I submitted all app materials but this one form. The form asks for basic information that is already in my CV (name, address, employment hx, schools attended, etc).

Should I send an e-mail to the director with the attached form filled out or is it too late since the deadline has passed?

in sending a thank you note post-interview, is it "kosher" to say "I want to express my continued interest in _______ and thank you personally for the interview we had this past Tuesday"

ASHP Match wesbite says "Programs may communicate their ranking intentions to applicants, or request that any applicant state how any program will be ranked on the applicant's Rank Order List. Similarly, applicants may not communicate their ranking intentions to programs, or request information on how any participating program intends to rank any applicant."

what do you think? is it playing by the rules?

Hello everyone, I would like to know if anyone have heard back from Baylor All Saints Medical Center in fort Worth Texas. Thanks!

I applied 9 programs: got one on-site interview down, one phone interview scheduled next week, and already 3 rejection emails. Still waiting on the rest. I'm so worried!:(

My stats: 3.82 GPA, Rho Chi, multiple organizations (APhA, SNPhA, ASHP) and multicultural, research involved but no posters/publications. Not very much hospital experienced, and I only have LORs from past preceptors ( two are hospital - clinical, one's actually retail but I had a very good relationship with the pharmacist)

Yep, heard back from UCSF a few days ago for scheduling interviews...

Hello everyone, I would like to know if anyone have heard back from Baylor All Saints Medical Center in fort Worth Texas. Thanks!

I applied there as well. The only communication I have received to date was regarding my application. That was a bit ago.

By chance anyone heard from Texas Tech, UTMB or Childrens Dallas?

Last edited:
Thanks for responding. I also applied to Texas Tech and Childrens Dallas.... I have not heard back from them.

Thanks for responding. I also applied to Texas Tech and Childrens Dallas.... I have not heard back from them.

I applied to Childrens Dallas last year, and I didn't hear anything until late Jan-early Feb.

Waiting is terrible. Anyone heard anything from Wake Forest, MUSC, or Ohio State?

I know MUSC has contacted the people they will interview.

Holy crap! How do you even sift through that many applications? That right there is why easy metrics like GPA become so important as an applicant. There is no way you can read through all those applications completely - you gotta have something super easy and fast as a method of weeding out applicants. You might miss out on a great applicant that way but what else can you do?

Has anyone else been told that the number of applicants in their area is really up this year? A friend got a letter stating that the number of applicants nearly doubled for the 2 available residency positions at one institution. Last year they got over 100 applicants... Close to 200 applicants for 2 spots is just insane!

Is this one of the specialized am care PGY1s? Those things tend to get tons of apps.

Just got offered interview with VA today.
That makes 2 interviews and 3 rejections. Still waiting on my top choice.
One thing I noticed is that only people with really high GPAs (close to 4.0) were offered interviews at the most competitive sites in my area. This process really sucks this year and I've seen a few of my friends get no interviews at all.

If I have been doing rotations at the site that I was also recently interviewed, am I be "evaluated" by the program by what I perform daily? I didn't think I did a good job on the presentation/written case at the formal interview (nervousness mostly), but since I'll be having a lot of write-ups, projects, and presentations as part of my rotations with them, will they not just grade me based on that single interview day's experience?

And how likely that residency program accepts students who have been interning at their site, especially for more than one rotation?

Just got offered interview with VA today.
That makes 2 interviews and 3 rejections. Still waiting on my top choice.
One thing I noticed is that only people with really high GPAs (close to 4.0) were offered interviews at the most competitive sites in my area. This process really sucks this year and I've seen a few of my friends get no interviews at all.

This is why I've emphasized GPA over and over and over (and people don't listen). If there are 100 applicants per spot, there has to be some high level way to skim through the apps.

I attend a school that uses the system that many medical schools use - honors/pass/fail. We don't have GPAs. During school it was really nice to not have as much competitive among peers as there wasn't a fight for an A. We really worked cooperatively to all succeed. However, not having a GPA is not conducive to the residency process!!
I bet! How do you know how you "stack up" against people who do go to schools that report GPAs? Not that GPA is totally objective, I get that, but it's probably the most objective measure available.

I wonder how many schools do that?

I received an interview invite from Texas Tech, but nothing yet from UTMB or Baylor All Saints for the Texas applicants inquiring

Got an invite from the Philly VA today. That's 3 invites so far and 2 of them are VAs :D.

Another reject today, up to 3 rejects and 1 interview. Guess I should be happy I got at least one.

As anyone heard from the Wilkes-Barre VA? I haven't heard a peep and their app was due Jan 1st. Just thought I would check before I cross them off my list.

If I have been doing rotations at the site that I was also recently interviewed, am I be "evaluated" by the program by what I perform daily? I didn't think I did a good job on the presentation/written case at the formal interview (nervousness mostly), but since I'll be having a lot of write-ups, projects, and presentations as part of my rotations with them, will they not just grade me based on that single interview day's experience?

And how likely that residency program accepts students who have been interning at their site, especially for more than one rotation?

Yes, you are being evaluated. If one of our students did a good job, we are more likely to give them an interview...

Another reject today, up to 3 rejects and 1 interview. Guess I should be happy I got at least one.

As anyone heard from the Wilkes-Barre VA? I haven't heard a peep and their app was due Jan 1st. Just thought I would check before I cross them off my list.

Yes, I got an interview there. They do interview invites by phone.

Anyone heard from McGuire VA in Richmond? I didn't hear anything from them, but it seems like they're already interviewing.

I attend a school that uses the system that many medical schools use - honors/pass/fail. We don't have GPAs. During school it was really nice to not have as much competitive among peers as there wasn't a fight for an A. We really worked cooperatively to all succeed. However, not having a GPA is not conducive to the residency process!!

Since our application review is on a point system, they would get points associated with a C average because we assume that is the minimum to pass....FYI a C average =zero points and means your app is likely going to get passed over anyway. I've worked with 2 programs now that are very against a pass/fail grading system. Is it fair? Maybe not, but every program gets to decide their own criteria...just how it goes...