Any interview invitations/rejections yet? (Match 2012)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is it standard practice for programs to email applicants if they are NOT being invited for an interview?

I never heard a peep out of three programs and had several friends who didn't hear anything from multiple programs. Seems like many programs like to leave you wondering. I look at this as a prick move, how hard is it to have a standard rejection email?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like common courtesy to notify an applicant if you aren't interviewing them. Same with applications for jobs - at least let the person know they have been rejected.

Exactly what I thought when I read the post.

Any fellowship seekers this year?

I was recently accepted into a pharmaceutical fellowship in the Rutgers program. I interviewed over 20 times at PPS (interviewing for fellowships is multi-level) with companies outside and within the Rutgers program. I ended up with four on-site interviews for five positions within four companies. I was accepted into two positions, one in the Rutgers program and one outside the program. I am choosing the one in the Rutgers program because the position involves my therapeutic area of interest, I can defer my loan payments, and the Rutgers program has a strong reputation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never heard a peep out of three programs and had several friends who didn't hear anything from multiple programs. Seems like many programs like to leave you wondering. I look at this as a prick move, how hard is it to have a standard rejection email?

I haven't heard anything from a program that had applications due Jan 1st. Should I assume I am not interviewing?? I have been debating sending an email asking the status of my application, but I don't want to give them more work if they are being bombarded with emails.

I can't believe some programs don't send any kind of notification, you are leaving us poor students nervous all the time.

I haven't heard anything from a program that had applications due Jan 1st. Should I assume I am not interviewing?? I have been debating sending an email asking the status of my application, but I don't want to give them more work if they are being bombarded with emails.

I can't believe some programs don't send any kind of notification, you are leaving us poor students nervous all the time.

There are quite a few programs that I'm still waiting to hear back from, and I'm wondering the same thing...wish they would just send a rejection e-mail so I could cross them off my list and move on.

I'm glad now that I applied to a lot of programs, because I'm not exactly raking in the interviews!

Talking to other preceptors, I heard as many as 11 applicants per slot in amb care. I imagine it's even more in some of the in demand hospital slots. We let our applicants know about 2 weeks after the deadline.

Good luck guys, I'm nervous/excited for you.

Got another rejection today (another VA). Still no interview invites :( I'll be less stressed when I get at least 1 interview invite.

Got another rejection today (another VA). Still no interview invites :( I'll be less stressed when I get at least 1 interview invite.

I have not got any interview invites either. Like I said in my other post I have not heard from any of the programs at all, so I am super stressed!!!

I would like to get at least one invite so I don't feel like a total loser, plus I want to do a residency so bad. I found my dream job but I need residency experience to get it.

Have most people been getting responses via email or is it regular snail mail?

Are most of you getting phone interviews first? Or is the first step for the majority in-person?

All programs I applied to did not require a phone interview except one. So the majority are in person. I've found that i've received 2 invites via email and 2 requests by phone.

Last edited:
I have not got any interview invites either. Like I said in my other post I have not heard from any of the programs at all, so I am super stressed!!!

I would like to get at least one invite so I don't feel like a total loser, plus I want to do a residency so bad. I found my dream job but I need residency experience to get it.

Have most people been getting responses via email or is it regular snail mail?

What saddens me the most is that there are people who got interviews who are acting like "Logically, there are no cost-benefits in residencies" and "Yeah, I'm gonna go to the interviews and stuff, but I think I'm gonna stick with Walgreens" and blah blah blah. I wish there was a way for a residency director to sense the determination a candidate has so that the people who really have the passion for it can at least have the chance to prove themselves in an interview.

And about people not sending out rejection emails... its not as bad as my situation--since my current preceptor didn't take me for an interview and didn't tell me that I was rejected. Imagine how awkward that is? And people interviewing at this facility will be interviewed and walking around right in front of me--people who beat me out of the position. =( so saddddd.

On a less depressing note---did anyone hear back from New York Presbyterian, a large teaching hospital?

The email she sent me said "Application is complete---you will hear back by mid-January"... so it sounds like she will be telling me if I'm interviewed or not...right?

Last edited:
I applied to 9 programs, majority with Jan14th-16th deadlines.
So far I have 2 interview invites and 1 rejection, and am anticipating at least one more invite from a pharmacotherapy program.

Members don't see this ad :)
And about people not sending out rejection emails... its not as bad as my situation--since my current preceptor didn't take me for an interview and didn't tell me that I was rejected. Imagine how awkward that is? And people interviewing at this facility will be interviewed and walking around right in front of me--people who beat me out of the position. =( so saddddd.

Wow, that would be a hard situation. I would comfort myself by telling myself that the preceptor probably feels uncomfortable too. Anyway, who knows why one person gets an interview and another doesn't. I'm trying hard not to take this whole thing too personally (and trust me, it's taking a massive effort on my part).

Wow, that would be a hard situation. I would comfort myself by telling myself that the preceptor probably feels uncomfortable too. Anyway, who knows why one person gets an interview and another doesn't. I'm trying hard not to take this whole thing too personally (and trust me, it's taking a massive effort on my part).

Although I have scheduled interviews as previously mentioned, It's hard not to take this whole process personally when you've dedicated so much of your efforts (at least for me, since i started the PharmD program 3.5 years ago) to be as competitive as possible only to see classmates who didn't do nearly as much (involved in community outreach, organizations, etc.) and maybe just decided to apply a few months ago get interviews left and right. You begin to lose faith in the whole process, but I like to think of it this way...everything will eventually fall into place. It has in the past for me. Good luck to everyone...just two more weeks until we all find out, good or bad.

Thank you for trying to cheer me up. :( but just like someone mentioned above, it's hard not to take it personal. Even worse, I dont even think she even remembers my application which could mean it wasn't significant to her to even remember, or she didn't look at it at all. Although I didn't spend 4 years to be involved (and seriously, bravo to those that are super involved) and only realized my passion for residency during the start of my rotations months ago, I managed to pool in at least 10 notable CV activities in a manner of months. I slept (if I did at all) average 3 or 4 hours daily. I'm not saying that I deserve an award or residency bc I don't really know other applicants but I would appreciate that this tough few years and process be given a decent rejection email--even if it is copied and pasted to everyone...

Anywone heard back from the VA Bronx? Interview or rejection?? Deadline was Jan 2nd and starting to worry...

Got another rejection e-mail today, but I was happy to at least hear something back from a program.

Applied: 12
Interviews: 3
Rejections: 2
Crickets: 7

It seems like common courtesy to notify an applicant if you aren't interviewing them. Same with applications for jobs - at least let the person know they have been rejected.

One word: litigation. Just like so many stupid things done or not done in fear of litigation, not responding to applicants most of the time is driven by fear of a lawsuit. Which is also why no feedback is given to those who were invited to interview but not offered a position. Yes, logically there would be no claim. However, there are always those who sue illogically, and any litigation is a money drain.

Waiting is terrible. Anyone heard anything from Wake Forest, MUSC, or Ohio State?

Applied to four programs and got two rejections already. Not off to a good start so far :(

Anyone heard from San Francisco VA, VA Puget in Seattle, or New York Presbyterian?

I know someone who got an interview with OSU..

Keep in mind that there are 2 separate OSU entities: the medical center and the school of pharmacy. One might be setting up interviews right now but the other might not.

On a side note, anyone got interview invite at the Baltimore VA? If you did, I'm curious as to what your stats are.

The residency hunt isn't off to a great start: 2 rejections and no interviews for 6 West Coast applications.

Since you guys are talking stats here are mine:

3.6GPA, Rho Chi, 2 publications, outstanding letters of reference, community intern job for 3 years, director of one school committee, serve on one other committee, lots of outreach events organized and participated in.

Not sure what I could have improved, but I always seem to get lost in the huddle when it comes to jobs, scholarships, awards, etc. and I don't know why. Oh well, 4 still left to go... I'll update accordingly.

Waiting is terrible. Anyone heard anything from Wake Forest, MUSC, or Ohio State?

I thought Ohio State (unsure which facility) was notorious for contacting their applicants dangerously late, like, almost approaching February. I believe it was mentioned in other "did you get an interview" threads of 2010 and 2011. But double check as I do not want to give you false hope of any sorts ...

Oh gosh, did anyone hear back (interview-wise) from any VAs? I guess I'm still sore from my rejection. heh heh.

I'm being so pessimistic that I'm getting ready for the Scramble, as oppose to getting ready for my interviews.

Like mustang_sally mentioned--I'm a bit relieved when a program gives you a rejection email rather than leaving you to wonder, though an invitation is nice obviously lol. I'm not going to be bitter when it comes to rejections unless my 2 arch-nemesis in my class that I'm forever competing with ends up interviewing in one of my applied sites lol--otherwise, I'm pretty set on "whatever happens is probably for my own good" for whatever the reason may be. I'm not going to force it or cry about... anymore at least lol.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that there are 2 separate OSU entities: the medical center and the school of pharmacy. One might be setting up interviews right now but the other might not.

On a side note, anyone got interview invite at the Baltimore VA? If you did, I'm curious as to what your stats are.

Yes, I just got the interview invite yesterday....they had a early deadline too.

3.6GPA, Rho Chi, PLS, 1 ASHP poster, assuming pretty good letters of rec from faculty+work (didn't see them), retail job for 4 years, community hospital job for 3 years, involved heavily with APhA, involvement in ASHP.

Finally got 2 interview invites today! The first one is in a week and a half, so gotta get that presentation ready.

Finally got 2 interview invites today! The first one is in a week and a half, so gotta get that presentation ready.

Congratulation !!!! from NO interview to 2 Interview in 1 days...

Got 1 reject today..due to incomplete application...****

Anyone applied to pharmacy administration residencies?

Congrats, bacillus! Hopefully SDN will do well again this year in the match! :)

Anyone hear back from University of Wisconsin or the Omaha VA?

Congratulations~ they like you more than me :oops:
I have a friend whose sister works there as a pharmacist... she says their residents don't look terribly happy. So maybe it's not so bad that they don't want you.

really? For discrimination? Wow. Guess I didn't think about that.
Sadly, that's the world we live in. Just like in retail, have you never heard screams of "You ain't giving me my pain meds because you are a f*** racist!" over a med with no refills left, for example? Same twisted logic can be applied to a job application rejection, but proving a legitimate reason is a lot more difficult since "this is a better candidate and this is a worse one" doesn't really have clear, law-proscribed criteria.

I have a friend whose sister works there as a pharmacist... she says their residents don't look terribly happy. So maybe it's not so bad that they don't want you.
that's interesting to hear. When I talked to them during Midyear, they were very friendly and nice...

Sadly, that's the world we live in. Just like in retail, have you never heard screams of "You ain't giving me my pain meds because you are a f*** racist!" over a med with no refills left, for example? Same twisted logic can be applied to a job application rejection, but proving a legitimate reason is a lot more difficult since "this is a better candidate and this is a worse one" doesn't really have clear, law-proscribed criteria.

I guess I just wouldn't really expect that from a professional applying to a residency. A patient, sure. I was called every name in the book when I worked retail. Maybe I'm naive but unless you can prove without a doubt that a program selected someone else because of your gender, age, ethnicity, orientation, etc., I don't know why anyone would even bother. What happened to the days when not everyone made the little league team? :p

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Has anyone heard from the Southern California VA's ?

One of the hospitals that I was rejected from was nice enough to tell me the weakness the residency panel saw in my application and it was the lack of work experience in a hospital setting.

Aside from a possible weak letter of intent (now in retrospect), my stats are fairly good with excellent letters of Rec, above 3.7 GPA, and lots of leadership experience locally and nationally. Hopefully this helps.

Applied: 8
Interviews: 2
Rejected: 3
Waiting: 3 (all VA's)

Got an Interview today in 2 weeks...Yeah...Happy

How can there be a legal danger for telling someone they will not get an interview? Not why, just that they won't.

Finally got an interview! :)

But also got 2 rejects (from 2 of my top 3) :(

I am still waiting to hear back from 3 VAs though, I am wondering if I haven't heard anything b/c I have been rejected or they are just slow.

Got rejected from VA yesterday, that makes 3/6 rejections.

Got 1 acceptance letter, still 2 outstanding applications

Man, that really sucks. I feel bad for you. :(

But consider something: are you sure that your preceptor's involved in the resident selection process? I ask because I work at a hospital that has a residency and a lot of my students think that because I precept students, I help select residents. However, I actually have nothing to do with resident selection. So it could be that your preceptor did want to interview you, but the selection committee didn't ask for his/her opinion.