Any INTJ's in dentistry or dental specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

germindian123

perioaroundtheworld
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Do you think any certain aspects of dentistry attract the INTJ more than others? Specialties? I am an INTJ myself and just finished my 1st year in dental school. Just curious! Cheers :)

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of people on online forums are INTJs. We had a poll on this a while ago.

Reactions: 1 user
Perio seems to attract the most neurotic out of the INTJ/ISTJ

ESTJ/ESTP seem to be quite rare in dentistry which I find ironic given the high median income of dentists compared to other professions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys. Do you think any certain aspects of dentistry attract the INTJ more than others? Specialties? I am an INTJ myself and just finished my 1st year in dental school. Just curious! Cheers :)
I hate small talk. Trivial encounters in fast food, grocery stores, etc. Others in control of a situation often do not make it meaningful. This is something I have been repeatedly disappointed by. For myself, I know $ and lifestyle attracts a lot of people to the career, and it drives me even harder to learn what I am doing for who I will have in my chair/on my table one day.

As a past uber driver, I found it quite fun because you never know who you are going to get and what they have done with their own life. One of my riders was famous, but he let it known to me only after I followed up on what his work was. I look for value in words conversed. The challenge to find value in a conversation is fun for me and something I look to create for others I encounter, especially in my past work experiences. I would argue that INTJ are often crafty in rapport, sometimes rude, but have the potential to shape the encounter with a patient into something quite meaningful. It is also pleasing when you find your patient trusting you or confirming that you have done right in their mind... Where we may lack is when a patient tells us they hate the dentist, is extremely rude, or is overreacting to pain.

I would argue that as dentists INTJ love their work, love to be seen as a source of knowledge, potentially like to lecture/teach others, and can be immensely passionate. I would also add that there is some lab work I absolutely loathe and see it as chores.. something that could be done later... Other times I find my self very engaged in lab work when I am having fun with it. That level of energy I put into something is unrivaled and nonsensical to others.

I am interested in teaching one day. Not the politic bs to work my way into "this title that title". I want to show things to other people I find important.

I am rambling. Long story short, I think INTJ can get into anything in combo with teaching/research, though I found ortho to be too laid back. Omfs has a strong draw to myself, but keep in mind INTJ gotta lock down their stress or we can turn into absolute nightmares.
I think INTJ like to see the results when they do the work itself on patients, while still valuing the delayed gratification, learning, and time we put into our careers to make ourselves feel like we can provide awesome healthcare.

Reactions: 5 users
Reactions: 6 users
The Barnum effect, also called the Forer effect, is a common psychological phenomenon whereby individuals will give high accuracy ratings to descriptions of their personality that supposedly are tailored specifically to them but that are, in fact, vague and general enough to apply to a wide range of people.

It is used in marketing. It is used in religion. It is because your mind struggles for identity when the truth is Humans are terrible at knowing themselves. Believe it or not, most of the time you don't know what makes you happy and cant identify the source of attraction to another human being e.g. The misattribution of arousal.

Amazon product

The Barnum effect, also called the Forer effect, is a common psychological phenomenon whereby individuals will give high accuracy ratings to descriptions of their personality that supposedly are tailored specifically to them but that are, in fact, vague and general enough to apply to a wide range of people.

It is used in marketing. It is used in religion. It is because your mind struggles for identity when the truth is Humans are terrible at knowing themselves. Believe it or not, most of the time you don't know what makes you happy and cant identify the source of attraction to another human being e.g. The misattribution of arousal.

Amazon product

Very insightful. Thank you.