Any love from Oklahoma State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
exlawgrrl said:
Gotta point out here ( even though I'm sure OSUdoc will disagree with me :rolleyes: ), that OSUCOM is not in a good part of town. Maybe bad parts of Tulsa aren't as bad as bad parts of Kansas City, but it's sort of ghetto.

I really like the curriculum at KCUMB, and OSU seems like it has a more traditional curriculum, so it loses in that regard. It is cheaper, but not by a lot if you're paying out of state tuition. Tulsa is an okay town. I wonder if it would freak me out to live there again, though. I'm so used to living in a very liberal, very non-religious place, and that's so not Oklahoma. Of course, there are liberal people in Oklahoma (I grew up with them), but they are the minority.

It's weird because I started applying to osteopathic schools with a big focus on getting into OSUCOM. Now, if I get an interview, I'll go, but I'm not jazzed about it. I'm much more jazzed about DMU and even KCUMB. I admit I am a bit irritated that I haven't heard from them, which is irrational since they're not my top choice.

For Oklahoma schools, I'm going to be a heretic here and admit I'd rather go to OU.
I'll take your interview spot then!

I know OSU isn't in the best part of Tulsa (yeah I know about the refineries and other stuff) but it's not horrible either and is def better than the KCUMB area. Plus it is so easy to get around Tulsa you wouldn't have to live right there. My hubby's sister used to live in those apartments and said they were nice but the neighborhood isn't so great. Still beats KC though.
I really like the KCUMB curriculum also. For someone else's inquiry, KCUMB uses the "Genesis" program which is a systems based approach.
And yeah actually the Out of State tuition (~30K) is cheaper than KCUMB (~36K) and KCOM (~33K).

Members don't see this ad.

mshheaddoc said:
What are some of the differences of KCUMB. I'm applying there next year too and looking into cirriculum differences (if you don't mind expanding)

KCUMB has the genesis curriculum where you just study one system at a time. Gross anatomy, physiology, histology, etc. are all integrated into this, so you study them in the context of the system you're studying. I think each system block is 6 weeks and includes 2 quizzes and a final. It seems pretty cool. Here's their class list. OSUCOM seems really traditional in their curriculum where you take gross, biochem, etc. Both schools have great board passage rates, so I guess both work.

http://www.kcumb.edu/admissions/registrar/msIcoursdesc.asp

Thanks for the info. I am intrigued by the systems approach and actually have a friend at KCUMB so I'll have to pump her for info. I was considering going up there for a few days to visit so maybe I'll sit in on a few classes :)

Members don't see this ad :)
mshheaddoc said:
Thanks for the info. I am intrigued by the systems approach and actually have a friend at KCUMB so I'll have to pump her for info. I was considering going up there for a few days to visit so maybe I'll sit in on a few classes :)
That's a great idea. I think it is important to go check out the schools ahead of time. Plus it gives you extra stuff to put on your applications and shows your interest. Good luck to you!!

ambernikel said:
That's a great idea. I think it is important to go check out the schools ahead of time. Plus it gives you extra stuff to put on your applications and shows your interest. Good luck to you!!
How would visiting a school if you more information to put on your application?

mshheaddoc said:
How would visiting a school if you more information to put on your application?
A lot of the secondaries ask you why you specifically want to come to their school. If you've visited you can refer to that and mention things you observed that have impressed you.

exlawgrrl said:
Okay, I got the call and have an interview. Hmm, maybe I'll start to put OSUCOM at the top of my list again. Yes, I am insane.

That's okay ;) the application process can make you like that.

just wait until you get to the residency apps :eek:

DrMom said:
just wait until you get to the residency apps :eek:
Have you decided what specialty you wish or pursue DrMom?

ambernikel said:
A lot of the secondaries ask you why you specifically want to come to their school. If you've visited you can refer to that and mention things you observed that have impressed you.
cool, thanks for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
exlawgrrl said:
Gotta point out here ( even though I'm sure OSUdoc will disagree with me :rolleyes: ), that OSUCOM is not in a good part of town. Maybe bad parts of Tulsa aren't as bad as bad parts of Kansas City, but it's sort of ghetto.

I really like the curriculum at KCUMB, and OSU seems like it has a more traditional curriculum, so it loses in that regard. It is cheaper, but not by a lot if you're paying out of state tuition. Tulsa is an okay town. I wonder if it would freak me out to live there again, though. I'm so used to living in a very liberal, very non-religious place, and that's so not Oklahoma. Of course, there are liberal people in Oklahoma (I grew up with them), but they are the minority.

It's weird because I started applying to osteopathic schools with a big focus on getting into OSUCOM. Now, if I get an interview, I'll go, but I'm not jazzed about it. I'm much more jazzed about DMU and even KCUMB. I admit I am a bit irritated that I haven't heard from them, which is irrational since they're not my top choice.

For Oklahoma schools, I'm going to be a heretic here and admit I'd rather go to OU.

OSU is in the ghetto, I agree. Not sure why you'd want to go to OU, though.

exlawgrrl said:
Okay, I got the call and have an interview. Hmm, maybe I'll start to put OSUCOM at the top of my list again. Yes, I am insane.

Congrats.

yea i called today my D.O. letter still hasnt come =/, i dont even think im gonna get an interview till Jan. now!

I got the call today and my interview is scheduled for November 16th. I am so relieved, and I hope to see some of you there!

exlawgrrl said:
that OSUCOM is not in a good part of town.

:laugh: OU is located in a ghetto, at least we haven’t had any cars stolen from our parking lot :laugh:

as far as the curriculum, the 1st year is somewhat standard, but 2nd year the small group classes is an awesome resource and with instructors like Dr. Eddy and Goljan, what's not to like about OSU? Sure OU has Chung, but a friend in OU says he just quotes his book in lecture,

and yes, I'm biased, due to bad experiences at OU during the application process despite being accepted there.

OSUdoc08 said:
OSU is in the ghetto, I agree. Not sure why you'd want to go to OU, though.

Dunno, probably not for great reasons, but my brother went there, and I think he's a good physician. Also, if I did want to practice in Oklahoma, I think it'd be better to be an MD just because of the silly traditional rotating internship requirement. Since I don't want to do family practice, it seems like it could be a real pain.

Hernandez said:
and yes, I'm biased, due to bad experiences at OU during the application process despite being accepted there.

Do tell. Their office seems friendly so far, but I haven't had extensive dealings with them.

exlawgrrl said:
Do tell. Their office seems friendly so far, but I haven't had extensive dealings with them.

Hey i got a question, on the osu website, it says they require a 7.0, is that a minimum of 7 for each section? Please help.... i'm an out of stater with a 3.5 sciecne and overall and a 25M (10P,9B,6V) what are my chances?

exlawgrrl said:

the biggest one was the hateful and snide interviewer, and it wasn't just a random interviewer, it was the woman in charge of interview day, i can handle tough questions, but snide remarks, questioning why I choose a certain ethnicity on my application despite my apperance(I'm between 1/8-1/4 NA and was always told that if ya have a CDIB card, put NA), and calling me a liar because I responded that an instructor at my school told me I'd get in and didnt' need to retake the MCAT, "I know Dr. X, and he'd never say that", it was a half hour of wtf? and it became very hard to maintain a composure and professional demeanor. Add that to lossing paperwork I sent in and was told they had, but then later lost.

I know in all that's pretty whiny, but hey, it's a school and the students make a school just as much as the prof/admin, is it too much to ask a school to provide a little respect to those who paid to apply there? Not only that, but to me, how the admin treats the students is as important to me as the school itself.

7 minimum per section. But if English is your 2nd language you might have a chance. Keep in mind, though, that they're pickier about out-of-stater's stats than in-staters since it is a public institution.

Not trying to completely discourage you, just trying to give you a realistic answer. I recommend that you call the admissions office and ask them directly.

docmd2010 said:
Hey i got a question, on the osu website, it says they require a 7.0, is that a minimum of 7 for each section? Please help.... i'm an out of stater with a 3.5 sciecne and overall and a 25M (10P,9B,6V) what are my chances?

The class average on MCAT was a little over 9 for the class of 2008, i believe

they list as the matriculation profile, but i'm not sure if that's current or not, I think this was the class of 2006's stats

Total Students Accepted: 88 (100%)

* MCAT Average: 8.9
* Average Overall GPA: 3.5
* Average Science GPA: 3.42
* Oklahoma: 76 (86%)
* Non-Resident: 12 (14%)
* Male: 53%
* Female: 47%
* Ethnic Minorities: 19%

Not that it makes a big difference, but that has too high % of women to be my class (we were low 40s). I think that goes all the way back to the class of 05.

Hernandez said:
I know in all that's pretty whiny, but hey, it's a school and the students make a school just as much as the prof/admin, is it too much to ask a school to provide a little respect to those who paid to apply there? Not only that, but to me, how the admin treats the students is as important to me as the school itself.

Oh, I agree. I want to go to a school where students are respected. Thanks for sharing your experience.

exlawgrrl said:
Dunno, probably not for great reasons, but my brother went there, and I think he's a good physician. Also, if I did want to practice in Oklahoma, I think it'd be better to be an MD just because of the silly traditional rotating internship requirement. Since I don't want to do family practice, it seems like it could be a real pain.

What area do you want to go into?

You don't have to do the internship for many residency (i.e. orthopedic surgery.)

Also, you can't train in-state for as many specialties if you go to OU (i.e. emergency medicine.)

OSUdoc08 said:
Also, you can't train in-state for as many specialties if you go to OU (i.e. emergency medicine.)

Okay, we may have EM residencies in-state, but OU offers significantly more specialty training programs than OSU. (ie: neuro, path, psych...just off the top of my head)

DrMom said:
Okay, we may have EM residencies in-state, but OU offers significantly more specialty training programs than OSU. (ie: neuro, path, psych...just off the top of my head)

psych is way at the top of my list, and neuro's up there, too. basically, i'm thinking psych, ob/gyn, im, neuro or pm&r. i've heard ou's surgery department is obnoxious about taking do's -- are there other specialties as bad? also, i'm thinking the traditional rotating internship would be a big pain for psych and neuro and would probably be a hassle for im, especially since i'd likely want to do an allopathic residency for im.

oh yeah, as for osu's out of state acceptance info -- i checked usnews's latest data. they have something like 250 oos applicants in 2004, 39 were interivewed, and 30 were accepted. 11 chose to matriculate. so, the big cut does seem to be made pre-interview, which is typical in the osteoathic world.

docmd2010 said:

A 25 is acceptable - it gives you an average score of 8.33. I couldn't tell you how competitive that is for an out-of-state applicant - I'm sure the overall strength of your application will be very important.

Both OU and OSU state that they require a 7.0 average score because it's the law in Oklahoma for the 2 state-supported institutions. If you don't have a combined total of 21 (in-state or out), neither school can open your file for a regular admission - it's non-negotiable and not under the control of the school.

DrMom said:

There are OSU graduates in the OU residencies, though.

But yes---it depends on what you are interested in.

Non-TradTulsa said:
A 25 is acceptable - it gives you an average score of 8.33. I couldn't tell you how competitive that is for an out-of-state applicant - I'm sure the overall strength of your application will be very important.

Both OU and OSU state that they require a 7.0 average score because it's the law in Oklahoma for the 2 state-supported institutions. If you don't have a combined total of 21 (in-state or out), neither school can open your file for a regular admission - it's non-negotiable and not under the control of the school.
Is this true? I assumed you'd have to have that to be competitive but I didn't realize it was a law. Interesting.

Non-TradTulsa said:

When did this become a law? I say this because I know someone who got into OSU with a lower score than that a few years ago.

DownonthePharm said:
When did this become a law? I say this because I know someone who got into OSU with a lower score than that a few years ago.

What score did they get?

DownonthePharm said:

I guess you would call it "administrative law." It's in Chapter 2, Part 5, of the "Standards for Education" policies/procedures of the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (www.okhighered.org) - requires an average MCAT of 7.0 and a GPA of 3.0 for regular admission to either OSU or OU. The rule provides that a certain percentage of admissions may be "alternate admissions" - opportunity programs which can waive the "regular admission" rules but I would think an out-of-state person would have a really tough time getting into an alternate admissions program.

The rule was promulgated in 1989 and last updated in 1994. I just thought it was an interesting bit of trivia.

DownonthePharm said:

as far as I know, the only "law" on the books about OSU-COM is its foundation as a state school in '88 and some of the new appropriation bills, it may be a Regents regulation, but as far as I know, it's not a law.

Non-TradTulsa said:
I guess you would call it "administrative law." It's in Chapter 2, Part 5, of the "Standards for Education" policies/procedures of the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (www.okhighered.org) - requires an average MCAT of 7.0 and a GPA of 3.0 for regular admission to either OSU or OU. The rule provides that a certain percentage of admissions may be "alternate admissions" - opportunity programs which can waive the "regular admission" rules but I would think an out-of-state person would have a really tough time getting into an alternate admissions program.

The rule was promulgated in 1989 and last updated in 1994. I just thought it was an interesting bit of trivia.

there ya go, i knew i hadn't seen that in the Oklahoma Code.

Hernandez said:
there ya go, i knew i hadn't seen that in the Oklahoma Code.

Yup, you're right, it's a regents' reg. I read everything I could get my hands on when I decided to apply to medical school and that one stuck in my head. My thing for trivia is probably going to get me into trouble.

Non-TradTulsa said:

I'm gonna be all lawyerly here, but I'm not reading that as saying that a 7 minimum is required in each section. Instead, since it says an average of 7, that seems to state that you need at least a total score of 21 to be considered. If you had say a 6, 10, 10, you should still meet the requirement.

exlawgrrl said:
I'm gonna be all lawyerly here, but I'm not reading that as saying that a 7 minimum is required in each section. Instead, since it says an average of 7, that seems to state that you need at least a total score of 21 to be considered. If you had say a 6, 10, 10, you should still meet the requirement.

I was hoping you'd jump in! I agree - 21 is the magic number - there's nothing about a 7 in each section. A 6 in VR is a concern but, at least in my humble opinion, perfectly understandable for someone who speaks English as a second language. I could barely understand a number of the passages myself. It's also true that a 21 is generally not competitive but I think there are a few cases in the 18-20 total score range where other schools might be willing to take a chance on an otherwise exceptional applicant, but OSU can't.

Non-TradTulsa said:
I was hoping you'd jump in! I agree - 21 is the magic number - there's nothing about a 7 in each section. A 6 in VR is a concern but, at least in my humble opinion, perfectly understandable for someone who speaks English as a second language. I could barely understand a number of the passages myself. It's also true that a 21 is generally not competitive but I think there are a few cases in the 18-20 total score range where other schools might be willing to take a chance on an otherwise exceptional applicant, but OSU can't.

Yep, I learned how to be anal about word usage. :) I promise I'm not obnoxious about it in real life. I agree, too, that a 6 in VR is understandable if english is your second langauge.

Since you're in Tulsa, I'm guessing you go to OSUCOM. As a non-trad, what do you think about it?

exlawgrrl said:
Since you're in Tulsa, I'm guessing you go to OSUCOM. As a non-trad, what do you think about it?

No - born and bred cave-dweller Tulsan - Tulsa's a great city and I never could quite leave! Actually, I'm a CPA and my specialty coming out of grad school was taxation. I've worked in healthcare for 20 years now. Ten years ago I was really encouraged to go into medicine (I think patient care and patient care issues have interested me the most for a long time) but I think I was not ready. Anyway, when my Dad died two years ago, I realized that if I wanted to do something different with my life - well, you only get one trip through this life and I've gotten much more interested in contributing more and worrying less about being poor in school and residency. Because of my age (I just turned 44 - ugh!) I'm applying very broadly to a range of allopathic schools and OSUCOM. I worry a lot about my age being frowned on, but I've got pretty good stats for an old man - 4.00 BCPM, 3.93 overall undergrad/post-bacc, and I got a 32R on the MCAT last April.

Anyway, I truly believe that the experiences in life I've had up until now will help me to be a really good doc, and I plan to be in practice 15-20 years - so why not? I also hope that a long-time hospital/clinic administration person might be interesting to round-out a medical school class.

If OSU takes me, I'd be very proud to go there. It's an exceptional school.

OSUdoc08 said:
What score did they get?

A 5 or a 6, dont remember which. But she had a really good GPA, and lots of other "pull" so *shrug*....

DownonthePharm said:
A 5 or a 6, dont remember which. But she had a really good GPA, and lots of other "pull" so *shrug*....

Yeah, but was it 21 or more total?

Non-TradTulsa said:
No - born and bred cave-dweller Tulsan - Tulsa's a great city and I never could quite leave! Actually, I'm a CPA and my specialty coming out of grad school was taxation. I've worked in healthcare for 20 years now. Ten years ago I was really encouraged to go into medicine (I think patient care and patient care issues have interested me the most for a long time) but I think I was not ready. Anyway, when my Dad died two years ago, I realized that if I wanted to do something different with my life - well, you only get one trip through this life and I've gotten much more interested in contributing more and worrying less about being poor in school and residency. Because of my age (I just turned 44 - ugh!) I'm applying very broadly to a range of allopathic schools and OSUCOM. I worry a lot about my age being frowned on, but I've got pretty good stats for an old man - 4.00 BCPM, 3.93 overall undergrad/post-bacc, and I got a 32R on the MCAT last April.

Anyway, I truly believe that the experiences in life I've had up until now will help me to be a really good doc, and I plan to be in practice 15-20 years - so why not? I also hope that a long-time hospital/clinic administration person might be interesting to round-out a medical school class.

If OSU takes me, I'd be very proud to go there. It's an exceptional school.

I am sure with your stats that you will be just fine non-trad....

Age is not as frowned upon as it once was... I am sure you will do well

Best wishes for your endeavour

DrDad