Any Navy Dentists out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JTC2280

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm interested in learning more about the Navy program. I've recieved all of the recruiting material, but am interested in hearing from someone who's actually taking part in the program. I'm still pre-dental but am planning early because possibly joining the Navy is a big decision!!

What attracts me most to the program is the exposure to a number of procedures that most young dentists don't get to see on a regular basis. And the dental mission work they claim to do. However, I get nervous when I think about possibly being stationed in the middle of nowhere for 3-5 years. Where are you currently stationed? Did you have any say at all in where you ended up? I don't mind travelling or living abroad... But also have my family to consider.

I know the pay isn't as great as most civilian dentists out there, but the way I see it, the experience is well worth it. What are some of the other day-to-day benefits you enjoy? The Navy materials mention all of these other benefits, but nothing specific....

If you have a free moment to respond back I'd appreciate it!!! Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

JTC, i'm in your boat....take a look at the threads from 3/22 and 3/23 regarding military dentists and their pay. hopefully that will help to answer some of the questions you have. i'm personally going for the HSCP instead of the HPSP, but i'm sure your school costs a lot more than mine does!