Any news from John Jay-forensic psych phd?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychchic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to see if anyone has heard from this program. I learned on another site there are interviews next Friday and was trying to figure out if they only have one date and thus I am out of luck or if I still have a chance.

Members don't see this ad.

did you apply for the dec. 1 deadline or jan 15th since they extended the deadline? maybe they have interviews now for people who did the dec. 1 deadline. i did jan 15

Please keep us updated on the interview process and what it was lie. This is one of my top programs I will be applying for next year..

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah tell me how it is, i really wanted to go there but chose american international for the master's forensic

Why do these mid-level degrees when you can pursue a PhD/PsyD in clinical psychology? You may be doing this to gain this credential and then apply to PhD/PsyD programs.

That said, what do Master's-level graduates of these "forensic psychology" programs even do? I highly doubt that they can be qualified as an expert witness in forensic cases. Even doctoral-level psychologists and neuropsychologists have a tough time being qualified as an expert witnesses. Master's level graduates are not even licensed as psychologists.

PublicHealth said:
Why do these mid-level degrees when you can pursue a PhD/PsyD in clinical psychology? You may be doing this to gain this credential and then apply to PhD/PsyD programs.

That said, what do Master's-level graduates of these "forensic psychology" programs even do? I highly doubt that they can be qualified as an expert witness in forensic cases. Even doctoral-level psychologists and neuropsychologists have a tough time being qualified as an expert witnesses. Master's level graduates are not even licensed as psychologists.
most of them get jobs as clinicans or counselors within a criminal justice setting and contrarily to popular belief make good money doing substance abuse counseling. other people become clinicians outside working under the supervision of a psychologist. most of the psy.d programs required a master's and encourage experience before applying, the total opposite of most ph.d programs.

why waste 100k and four years of employment to teach at a university and make less money getting a ph.d. (most schools don't even teach in this field)?

My school gives a PhD in forensic track clinical psychology with a full tuition waiver and living stipend. I'm sure graduates with a PhD/PsyD more than make up for the lost years in the work force by the earning potential afforded by the doctoral level degree.

SaraL124 said:
My school gives a PhD in forensic track clinical psychology with a full tuition waiver and living stipend. I'm sure graduates with a PhD/PsyD more than make up for the lost years in the work force by the earning potential afforded by the doctoral level degree.
that is pretty sweet then, good deal. i am not bashing the ph.d/psy.d but also not everyone is going to get in to such a program.

Forensic M.S. said:
why waste 100k and four years of employment to teach at a university and make less money getting a ph.d. (most schools don't even teach in this field)?

Whoa, what? What $100K? Most PhD programs worth a lick are funded :confused:

JatPenn said:
Whoa, what? What $100K? Most PhD programs worth a lick are funded :confused:
i was referring to psy.d, i should have made it more clear in the original

PublicHealth said:

Who said that was the goal? To be an expert witness or to be a quasi doctor or field expert? Perhaps some of us are content with being MID LEVEL professionals who are able to consult with lawyers/courts and psychologists in a variety of capacities.

I have personally been involved in Victim Advocacy, Offender Pre Release programs, Death Penalty Mitigation, Sexual Trauma case mgmt/counseling, Pre-Trial services etc etc. Furthermore, this is applicable for those of us willing to go it for a year or so to complete the MA and then decide if a PHD/PsyD is worth it. Lets not get into the fact that many PHDs/PsyDs arent making CLOSE to what they expect upon graduation due to the saturation of the market. However there are LPCs doing Forensic work making 60-80k a year. I happen to be in a program that will enable me to sit for licensure (LPC) and also qualified to work within the forensic field....

BTW-your post wreaked of pretentiousness :laugh: . try to research/get info before presenting it in such a light that would make you seem like you're looking down on "these Master's-level graduates of these "forensic psychology" programs". Not everyone wants to take your route. :)

PublicHealth said:

Who said that was the goal? To be an expert witness or to be a quasi doctor or field expert? Perhaps some of us are content with being MID LEVEL professionals who are able to consult with lawyers/courts and psychologists in a variety of capacities. I do.

I have personally been involved in Victim Advocacy, Offender Pre Release programs, Death Penalty Mitigation, Sexual Trauma case mgmt/counseling, Pre-Trial services etc etc. Furthermore, this is applicable for those of us willing to go it for a year or so to complete the MA and then decide if a PHD/PsyD is worth it. Lets not get into the fact that many PHDs/PsyDs arent making CLOSE to what they expect upon graduation due to the saturation of the market. However there are LPCs doing Forensic work making 60-80k a year. I happen to be in a program that will enable me to sit for licensure (LPC) and also qualified to work within the forensic field....

BTW-your post wreaked of pretentiousness :laugh: . try to research/get info before presenting it in such a light that would make you seem like you're looking down on "these Master's-level graduates of these "forensic psychology" programs". Not everyone wants to take your route. :)