Any old pre-meds out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

N-toxicologist

the accidental tourist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
By "old" I mean late 20s, 30-ish, or older. Anyone who came to this career decision late, or just slacked off when they were younger? I was one of those gifted and talented youths who wasted their talents and youth. What about people doing this while raising kids, etc.? Tell me your stories.... (I can't be the oldest one out here)

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be 29 this summer...the beginning of my 4th year. I was also a "gifted and talanted" youth. I played college baseball and football and decided that I wanted to be a doctor about my the middle of my Junior year...no joke. Because of some of my undergrad shinanigans (however you spell that...) I didn't have the greatest grades...had to take the MCAT 2 times and didnt get into school until my 2nd application. I ended up going to DO school and think it was a great decision. There was someone in my class that was 46 when we started, so dont worry about your age or any of that garbage. Go for it. Good luck.

I'm 26. Made the decision to go into medicine after working in industry for 3 years(graduated with a business degree). I'm finishing a post bacc program (basic science courses) this semester.. there are a bunch of older people in my post bacc program, a guy who is in his 40s, and several in their 30s.

if you want more stories, go to the post bacc forums.. there are tons of older applicants in that thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm old--i'm turning 28 in about two months, which is making me feel ancient. i have been directionless for a long time and just decided that medicine appealed to me a little more than year ago. my undergrad degree is in history, and i have a law degree. i'm currently working fulltime and finishing up my remaining prereq's and am going to take the mcat this summer. i'm not going to apply until fall 2005, so i'll be thirty when i start (assuming i can get in) and likely 40 or so when i start practicing, which is sort of a scary thought. currently, i have no kids, but i might want to have one in a few years, which means i'm going to have to think about fitting that into a med school/residency schedule. i am married, though. anyway, that's my boring story.

Will be 27 if I get in 2005. Worked for almost 6 years and have an MA. Very low Ugrad gpa but will hopefully have a high MCAT/grad GPA combo to distract. I'm very happy with my late premed track, single, and planning to be childfree when married. Ain't life grand? :laugh:

I turn 29 right before I start this summer. Spent 6 years as an engineer, figured out that it was not the long term career path I wanted and decided to change course to something that will give me a little more job satisfaction. Single and kidless, makes the career change decision a little easier but still tough kissing my 30s goodbye. :rolleyes:

Check out http://www.oldpremeds.net

I'm 35 years old, married with 2 children, and working as a self-taught software designer and data analyst. I was bit of a golden child in high school, and went off to college inteding to become a doctor. I struggled mightily in my first 2.5 years in college, spent most of that time drunk, and eventually was asked to leave to clean up my act. Which I did, and then finished up in 1993 with a degree in English while working full time.

I kept working for the same company as a manager for several years, and taught myself network engineering and then software design. Twice, I had customers negotiate with my company to hire me away to them. So until a couple of years ago, I've pretty much just taken the easy course. It's been lucrative, but deeply unsatisfying. So, in 2002, I started courses to complete a masters in computer science - I figured I could apply my computer skills in a more meaningful position if I had the formal education to go along with hacking ability.

But when I was successful in my calculus and proofs classes early in my second college career, I realized that my original dream might be within reach, and switched over to general biology and chemistry. I finished organic chemistry last night and will finish physics tomorrow, and be done with prerequisites. I took the MCAT in April and should have a high-30s score. I'm applying this summer with a 2.95 cumulative GPA, with 4.0 post-bacc and 3.8 over the last 6 semesters worth of coursework. I have been volunteering in the ED for 2 years and have done quite a bit of shadowing.

Obviously, my miserable GPA is the big hole in my application, but I'm hoping that admission committees will overlook the difficulties of my youth and recognize the potential I have to be a contributor to their student bodies and to the medical profession.

Anyway, we'll see. You never know until you try. Good luck to you, and if there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

I just turned 31 on mothers day!! I will be applying in 05 so I'll be 33 when I start med school. I am so ready to be there, but I realize that I should enjoy the moment now!! congrats to everyone with whatever decisions you make regarding med school apps!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm 29 with a BS in Chemistry and a MS in Computer Science. I work as a network engineer and am taking the MCAT this fall. I'm going to take a few more sciences and aim for entering fall of 2005 somewhere(hopefully). I'll be 30. I'm single and have no children which makes career choices like this that much easier. Don't feel bad, it looks like there's plenty of us old premed farts lying around ;) Best of luck to everyone in realizing their dreams. It just takes awhile for some of us.

i'm 33 now and will be applying this year. i've been working as an aerospace engineer for the past 10 years and got interested in medicine slowly over the past several years. i started volunteering and taking classes just to see where it went and now i'm at the end and ready to apply!
it seems like it went by really fast.
my undergrad grades fresh & soph year weren't great and i didn't spend last summer de-worming orphans in somalia, but hopefully the volunteer work i have and the fact that i've been taking post-bac classes while working 45-50 hours a week will show that i can still handle a heavy load and care about giving back

I am 31 now and will be applying this year so I will be 32 IF I get into medschool this cycle. All my other family members are Engineers so I too became an engineer but I was always interested in Sciences and Biology especially ....... I thought I had lost my chance of becoming a doctor but after coming to this country I realized that there is still time to fulfill that dream ..... so here I am ....... Just waiting for my April MCAT scores ..... so much rides on it ...... I have almost finished the AMCAS application ... I even got confirmation from AMCAS that they have received one of my transcripts .... waiting on 3 (yes Three more :)) to reach their office

Thanks for sharing, guys. I get pretty bummed out sometimes, surrounded by 20-somethings with 4.0's. My transcript is a mess; I've been in and out of school for nearly a decade. I was originally a business major, till I had my first bio lab. I was hooked. I've taken time off from school to raise three children (ages 3, 8, and 12) and sometimes work full time to make ends meet. This leaves me with a spotty transcript and a 3.4 GPA. But, like wine, I am better with age. Pre-meds like us bring a sense of maturity, wisdom, and experience which sets us apart from our younger counterparts. I'm hoping that with a decent MCAT, qualities like those listed above will detract from my lackluster grade history. Whatever happens, it's reassuring to know there's others out there like me. Thank you sooooo much for sharing your stories! Good luck to all of us, young and old(er)! :thumbup:

I guess I'm not technically an "old premed" because I'm only 24, but I recently made the decision to apply to med school a year after I graduated with a bs in ecology. I'm planning on applying next year in 2005 for the fall of 2006. I just wanted to reply to say how great it is to read so many positive stories and attitudes. I've been on other premed listserves, and I've gotten a lot of negative feedback that b/c I'm finishing my premed requirements at a different university than where I did my undergrad, I'm not going to get in. I'm trying to stay very positive, try to get into a post-bacc program if I don't get in on the first try, and make this happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I don't consider myself "old". I'm trying to apply for 2005 & I will be 33 then. I've been an RN for approx. 9 years & it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life, so, I guess I would rather spend the rest of the years that I'm in my 30's doing something I want to do instead of what I'm doing now!
internetwop

I'm 26, have a BA in Buisness. I was a banker for 5 years. I always knew I wanted to become a doctor, but sometime life takes us for a rollacoaster ride. I recently quit my job last year to pursuit medical school fulltime. I took the MCAT last month and am still waiting for the out come. :scared: I am applying for the 2005 class as well. I am married, but have no kids. It's really good to see others in the same position I am. :)

I'll be 28 last week, having graduated from law school 4 years ago, and practiced law since then. I always had wanted to go to med school while younger, but was very young when I graduated from college, and was dissuaded from med school by my family, and the length of school. With a little more maturity now, I realize it is what I still want to do, so I will not be dissuaded this time. I'm finishing up my prereqs this summer and applying for 2005 entry. Luckily, I live in Texas, so my chances are pretty good.

ken37 said:
I'll be 28 last week, having graduated from law school 4 years ago, and practiced law since then. I always had wanted to go to med school while younger, but was very young when I graduated from college, and was dissuaded from med school by my family, and the length of school. With a little more maturity now, I realize it is what I still want to do, so I will not be dissuaded this time. I'm finishing up my prereqs this summer and applying for 2005 entry. Luckily, I live in Texas, so my chances are pretty good.

Good luck, Ken! I'm in Fort Worth. Maybe we'll be classmates! I'm older, without a degree, but I feel that doing this at this point in my life is going to serve me better than if I had done it earlier, when I was young AND stupid. Maturity(relative term :laugh: ) is my friend in this case. :thumbup: :D

I will be transplanting to Texas in 20 days and am an older student. does living there give an advantage in the app process??

UNTlabrat said:
Good luck, Ken! I'm in Fort Worth. Maybe we'll be classmates! I'm older, without a degree, but I feel that doing this at this point in my life is going to serve me better than if I had done it earlier, when I was young AND stupid. Maturity(relative term :laugh: ) is my friend in this case. :thumbup: :D

Thanks! Good luck to you too. I definately think my maturity and determination are much better than had I done it while I was younger. Plus, I've seen the world through eyes other than those of a student. I'm applying to all the Texas schools, as well as a few others (dependant on my MCAT), but am a bit behind the ball because I'll be taking the August MCAT. I'm hoping for Southwestern, it being a great school and in Dallas, but would really think I would be happy just about anywhere that takes me. :D

UNTlabrat said:
Thanks for sharing, guys. I get pretty bummed out sometimes, surrounded by 20-somethings with 4.0's. My transcript is a mess; I've been in and out of school for nearly a decade. I was originally a business major, till I had my first bio lab. I was hooked. I've taken time off from school to raise three children (ages 3, 8, and 12) and sometimes work full time to make ends meet. This leaves me with a spotty transcript and a 3.4 GPA. But, like wine, I am better with age. Pre-meds like us bring a sense of maturity, wisdom, and experience which sets us apart from our younger counterparts. I'm hoping that with a decent MCAT, qualities like those listed above will detract from my lackluster grade history. Whatever happens, it's reassuring to know there's others out there like me. Thank you sooooo much for sharing your stories! Good luck to all of us, young and old(er)! :thumbup:

hi UNTlabrat!!

sounds like we have a LOT in common!

I'll be 26 in July. Like you, I wasted my talents and parents' money. I made straight A's up until the middle of my junior year of high school, when we moved to another city. After that, I just sort of slacked off. Even though I was no longer in all honors, I went from straight A's to A's, B's, and even a C or two in my new school. I went to Millsaps for my first semester, then came home, sat out a semester, and have gone to my virtually unknown local university off and on for the last 7 years.

My transcript is a mess as well. SO many withdrawals, change of majors (as I doubted myself, changed and changed AND CHANGED majors), and too many B's and C's for my liking. I've worked full-time ever since I was 18, and at one point I was working 80 hours a week (maybe I can tell the interviewers "at least I have practice for clinicals and residency :laugh: :smuggrin: )--I had my own video store, so I was not even worrying about school.

I've always wanted to be either a doctor or vet. Because of my laziness, procrastination, and stupid decisions, I won't be applying for at least 2 or 3 years, and I hope to God I haven't messed up THAT much.

I wish you all the luck in the world. I feel your pain! :love:

roballan14 said:
I will be transplanting to Texas in 20 days and am an older student. does living there give an advantage in the app process??

There are 6 Texas med schools that must take at least 90% Texas residents, plus a 7th (Baylor) that usually takes 70% or so Texas residents. That leads to it being easier for a Texas resident to get in to med school than just about any other state. I think that you have to live and work here (as opposed to being a full time student) for at least a year (not sure about the time requirement) to get resident status, or have residency through your parents.

There is such debate on getting residency. Make sure you got that correct. Supposed that when you submit your application and you only live here a couple of months, I doubt you can get state residency.

Another good state for Medical school is Ohio, probably even easier than Texas. They got several schools average MCAT lower than 27.

jxu66 said:
There is such debate on getting residency. Make sure you got that correct. Supposed that when you submit your application and you only live here a couple of months, I doubt you can get state residency.

Another good state for Medical school is Ohio, probably even easier than Texas. They got several schools average MCAT lower than 27.

Having lived in Texas since 1983, I never got too worried about residency status here. I checked on the TMDSAS site, and 12 months of employment is the requirement, with a proviso that it can't be 12 months of employement solely for the purpose of gaining residency for school. Check it out:

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/txres.htm

Ken

Peachy720 said:
My transcript is a mess as well. ... Because of my laziness, procrastination, and stupid decisions, I won't be applying for at least 2 or 3 years, and I hope to God I haven't messed up THAT much.

I wish you all the luck in the world. I feel your pain! :love:

:love: During the interview, I will refer to this as "life experience." :laugh:

Thanks for sharing your story. BTW, Grease is one of my all-time favorite movies (that doesn't make me old, does it?) :laugh: :laugh:

internetwop said:
Well, I don't consider myself "old". I'm trying to apply for 2005 & I will be 33 then. I've been an RN for approx. 9 years & it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life, so, I guess I would rather spend the rest of the years that I'm in my 30's doing something I want to do instead of what I'm doing now!
internetwop

I think it is wonderful that you are an RN and now you want to become a physician. I'm a 4th year PharmD student and will graduate in 2 weeks, but i'm applying to medical school next year. I was on rounds and I told an RN of my intentions of applying to medical school and she asked me why I wanted to pursue another degree....I thought about it and I said that I wanted to have more one-on-one contact with patients.....she thought about my reply and asked, "why don't you become a nurse"? They have the most contact with patients. I was kind of stupified and didn't really know how to reply without putting the profession of nursing down and without sounding like an ego maniacal, power hungry, bastard.
I was wondering why you wanted to pursue medicine from the stand point of a nurse?
Thanks

Hi GoBlue...I will respond & won't hold it against you that you're a Wolverine fan, me, OSU ofcourse!! Ha Ha
Anyway, it is true that you have much more patient contact as an RN. You are with the patients nonstop, which, leads to alot of "burn out". Don't get me wrong, I love taking care of patients, but the nursing profession itself is VERY draining!! There are the short staffing issues, mostly women in this profession, which I shouldn't have to tell you...backstabbing, bitching, etc. But, even if I didn't work in a hospital, maybe a slow-paced clinic or something, I still want to take all the clinical experience I have & take it to another level. I don't want limitations, I tend to get bored easily & i'm bored in this profession, not that it's not challenging, especially if you work in ER, ICU or where I work-Oncology. I went back to school & am finishing up a degree in biology. I love the depth of science & nursing has it's limited science application if that makes sense. I don't regret becoming an RN at all! It's given me the confidence to apply to med school-if I'm accepted somewhere, clinical rotations will not be as scary for me-I work at Medical College of Ohio & treat very ill patients, so I've encountered a lot of medical exposure!!! You know, doctors can get very "burned out" too, it can be a very stressful field, I see it everyday, but like I said, I would like to take my knowledge to a different level & have a bigger part in my patients care/treatment. But, there is nothing wrong with becoming an RN, it's just a personal preference for me...without good nurses, hospitals wouldn't exist. Sorry for the long reply, I really only touched on some pro's & con's of nursing. Hoped that answered some of your questions.
internetwop

dpw68 said:
Darn near 36 y/o and I'm not giving up...gotta master the mcat beast. :)

Good luck to all the old farts!
Yep. Took lots of Rolaids and Maalox with me to the testing site, tracked my mileage, different routes to find the shortest vs. the quickest, and identified all fire exits before settling in.

What's wrong with being an old fart? LOL

I'm a 32 y/o resp therapist, applying now. Hope I get in

Sup GOBLUE 2004,

I too am a Pharm D student just graduating now and I am contemplating in applying to Med School. Where are you thinking of applying and have you taken MCAT's yet. Moreover, do you know how much weight does a Pharm D carry in the application process. Thanks.

I will be 36 June 12 and I will be starting med school August 16. All you twentysomethings can just step off. :smuggrin:

And we old premeds can kick traditional applicant butt every day of the week and twice on Sundays. :D :D :D

Seriously, there's a lot of us. During the application process, I always got questions about why I was going into medicine, but I never got any bad vibe about the age thing. (My previous experience was in the arts, so it was understandable that everyone would be curious about "why medicine".)

Hi.

It is so nice to see so many people in the "career changer" boat such as myself.

I just turned 26 and decided last October to make the jump back to the pursuit of medicine.

In just 8 months, it is incredible to look back and see just how much my life has changed. From a new home owner, working on an MBA and making a very competitive salary to a post-bacc undergrad, living back at home and making hardly minimum wage. It's been humbling, and yet very rewarding. I can honestly say that I love what I am doing now and look forward to the challenges ahead.

I do have several questions for anyone who may have answers. I am just getting ready to finish up my application and of course personal statement. But I feel like there is so much I don't know . . .

here are some of the things I am very curious about:

1. are there any med schools in particular that tend to have higher percentages of older applicants being admittted? (i'm from florida and will be applying everywhere in the state, so i am most curious about ooportunities outside of florida)
2. what are the feelings about attending schools outside of the U.S.?
3. do you know of any good books or websites for individuals in our situation that are somewhat all inclusive . . . about the application process, picking schools, etc . . .
4. finally, i am curious to know about others personal statements. I realize these are called personal statements for that very reason, but I am interested in why others have chosen to go back? I feel as though I am struggling to come up with one concrete answer. There are so many experineces both good and bad that have influenced me. But I do not have any one life alteriing moment in my life that pushed me back into medicine.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give . . .

Great luck to all of you! :love:

Nicole

I'm glad I found this forum. I'm old too. Before I decided upon a career in medicine, I worked on a dinosaur farm and I planted a flowers in the Garden of Eden. :laugh:

Seriously, I'm 30 and I have a BS Chemistry and MS Computer Science. I originally wanted to be a vet but allowed people to talk me out of it (LONG story). After Sept 11 and working in Corporate America, I decided that there had to be more to life, so I began to look at vet med. I shadowed a vet and wasn't too impressed, but it was better than my job.

When I was laid off and moved home, I took some pre-vet/pre-med courses and was surprised at how much I remembered. I did pretty well. After doing more soul searching, I realized that human medicine suited my interests better than animal medicine. My personality didn't fit animal medicine...in other words, I'm not the animal activist type. Plus, it always seemed like we would eventually wind up euthanizing animals, so that we wouldn't prolong their suffering. It got old and depressing. If a person breaks their back or has a serious illness, there is so much that can be done. It's not the end of the road. Treatment options are very predictable with animals.

As far as the other stuff goes, I just have to worry about the MCAT. I'm taking some courses to make my application stronger.

Good luck to all of you!!
:luck:

yep, another old timer here- i'll be 31 in september and had either a successful career as a musician or squandered my youth and talent, depending on how you look at it. no question i would like to have done this earlier, considering i'll be around 33-34 when i start med school. but life intervenes in mysterious ways, and so i'm just at the beginning. again.

it's SO encouraging to know there are others dealing with similar issues! we need to form some sort of support group or something.

cheers!

PS: you all are great! have to read all of these mini-bios. liverotcod, is that your cat? if so, is your name a reference to your cat's favorite victuals (or is that spelled 'livarot'?)

oops, sorry for the tangent........

iam said:
...it's SO encouraging to know there are others dealing with similar issues! we need to form some sort of support group or something.

cheers!

Yeah, we could meet at Denny's on the same day every week (after our afternoon naps and during early bird specials, of course), complain about the functioning (or lack of) our bowels and how those whippersnappers are trying to kick us out of medical school! :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, though, we all came here, and we can keep coming back. Let's consider this our support group. I love the fact that so many people have responded, and the thread seems to have a slow, steady life of its own (like me) :thumbup: :love: :laugh:

I'll bite....will be 37 when I take in MCAT in 2006. :)

dca_55 said:
I've been on other premed listserves, and I've gotten a lot of negative feedback that b/c I'm finishing my premed requirements at a different university than where I did my undergrad, I'm not going to get in. I'm trying to stay very positive, try to get into a post-bacc program if I don't get in on the first try, and make this happen.

I saw this and wanted to mention that this sentiment is totally wrong. Med schools do not care where you get your prereqs completed, as long as it is an accredited school. Anything from community college to Harvard Extension is fine.

I didn't do a formal postbacc, because I had completed about half of the prereqs the first time through. I did an extension course, six months of two lectures and two labs, plus a summer course. All of these courses were done far away from my UG school. None of my interviewers questioned my postbacc setup (and I was admitted to a few schools), so I can say it was effective.

Since this is the MCAT forum, I'll add that I took the MCAT in April, in the middle of my Organic Chemistry II lectures. Because I was drilling ochem three times a week, I was very well prepared for it on the MCAT.

Hey Everybody
I am 31 years old and I have always wanted to be a doctor but didn't realize I had a chance until I became grown. I have finished the premed stuff and I'm taking the Kaplan summer class for the MCAT. Like most of you I had to back track a couple of years but I worked as a clinician with a M.S. in Clinical Psych and now as a sleep tech. Which by the way is a wonderful medical field job that allows you to study while your patients sleep. It pays pretty good too. But I will pray for you all to get in if you return the favor. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
Eric

Hi!

I am 32, I am applying this year. I hope it works out - for all of us. Good Luck!

Scout

I'm older than most, probably. Turned 30 while sitting in an MCAT diagnostic with 14 of my closest friends. Currently an AF pilot, but was pre-med oriented (Zoology) in College. Took the MCAT scores, retook this Spring, waiting anxiously for results.

No kids, but a strong career. Waiting for permission from the AF to apply, so that's an extra hurdle. Hoping to be a military doctor by decades end :)

UNTlabrat said:

Hey guys - I'm in Dallas and want to get into TCOM for 2005, can I join the study group?

In terms of being chronologically enhanced, I'll be 42 this year, 2 kiddos and taking the MCAT in August and my last 6 bio hours in the fall.

I've got a spotty record also (some I's that rolled to F's about 14 years ago) with a 3.3 overall and 3.58 science (including the F's). The last two years of premed prereqs are 4.0 (bio/gen chem/ochem).

I called some out of state schools and told them my gpa and they were like,"Send in the app, now".

Don't get discouraged. Remember, as a radiologist friend of mine told me, a medical career isn't about who's smarter, it's about who can endure the most. Think marathon instead of sprint.

If you get a little down, feel free to PM me...I may need to do the same someday....

Hi!

Age 37, and applying MD/PhD this summer. So I'm not just old, but I'm crazy too!! :laugh:

MoosePilot said:
I'm older than most, probably. Turned 30 while sitting in an MCAT diagnostic with 14 of my closest friends. Currently an AF pilot, but was pre-med oriented (Zoology) in College. Took the MCAT scores, retook this Spring, waiting anxiously for results.

No kids, but a strong career. Waiting for permission from the AF to apply, so that's an extra hurdle. Hoping to be a military doctor by decades end :)

Ok, so what're you flying? Air Force brat here. I used to love it when the Navy would come in talking trash about being the best fighter pilots in the world - until they went up against USAF at Langley. Usually, they went home with their tails between their legs....pin gold wings on 'em and let 'em fly off of a boat and they think they own the skies, sheesh.....(Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Anyone who wears the uniform deserves respect no matter the service).....

DaveinDallas said:
Hey guys - I'm in Dallas and want to get into TCOM for 2005, can I join the study group?

In terms of being chronologically enhanced, I'll be 42 this year, 2 kiddos and taking the MCAT in August and my last 6 bio hours in the fall.

I've got a spotty record also (some I's that rolled to F's about 14 years ago) with a 3.3 overall and 3.58 science (including the F's). The last two years of premed prereqs are 4.0 (bio/gen chem/ochem).

I called some out of state schools and told them my gpa and they were like,"Send in the app, now".

Don't get discouraged. Remember, as a radiologist friend of mine told me, a medical career isn't about who's smarter, it's about who can endure the most. Think marathon instead of sprint.

If you get a little down, feel free to PM me...I may need to do the same someday....

Hey Dave, I'm taking the August MCAT as well, and also finishing my last 6 hours of Bio in the Fall. I'm also finishing Orgo in the summer, 6-11pm for 2 months. I figure it will be a good review for the MCAT, but also a busy summer.

Well, it seems most of us are at or near 30s (give or take an SE of 10 yrs :), but what does it all REALLY mean anyway?). I am currently 32 y.o. undergraduate - a classic academic late bloomer, with an apparent gluttony for punishment :). I began out of high school enlisting in the Navy, to become an independent duty corpsman and then on to surgical first assisting. Thereafter, I had the wild notion that I wanted to jump in and attempt the school for Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD). It was an odd decision to be sure, but I like the small-team work ethic, and it ended up being a good personal asset.

After 8 years, I began my undergrad, and changed schools after a year, in order to maintain support for a double major in molecular bio and computer science. I originally had no intent to go into medical school, but rather rather wanted to enter into a graduate program with an interest in infectious disease, or oncological research. I think my acid test then was in that working in surgery to me was more a pain in the ass than a life impacting career. I suppose perspective (read: low man on totem pole) was handing me my opinion at the time. But I took for granted the patient base I enjoyed, both as an IDC, and as a private FA (working for a hospital in this area is terribly fraught, by design I would argue, with fire breathing and gnashing of teeth).

During my undergrad career, I watched my grades plummet in a short time from several semesters of 3.76 to 3.5, and then with onset of a chronic injury (dive related), and then redeployment on 9/11, I witnessed by best in stuttered wisdom. I became hard headed and attempted to complete classes remotely, never once considering a leave of absence (but then I had only a few hours to make the decision for withdrawal when 9/11 came around). Obviously I was wrong, and consequently saw the dive to a 2.5 (I am working on a recalculation as I believe it's a 2.88 now, but we'll see.). Incompletes can do that far easier than performing poorly in a class.

So I contact a pre-med advisor on my wiley idealism of med school and here is an interesting reply that all might want to read.
==========================================================
Although there is legally no age discrimination, the number of people
over thirty who are accepted to medical school is very small. The
number accepted over forty is very very small. The reasons for these
reduced numbers is not always obvious and should be stated.
1. To become a physician at 45 means that individual will practice medicine twenty less years than the physician at 25. As a tax payer, I get more from my tax support for a medical student if that student
practices medicine longer.

2. The much older student recognizes bull**** faster and is less likely to endure it than a younger student. There is a lot of bull**** and bush marking in the education of a physician. Don't underestimate the impact of this statement.

3. The older student has additional responsibilities, often of a maturing family, that are not faced by a younger student.

4. The much older student does not have the same stamina as the younger student.
==========================================================

Although most of these issues can be easily be rebutted on an individual basis, it DOES seem that Medical Admissions Committees (MACs) are a bit on the discriminatory side - though legally age is not supposed to be a factor in admissions. But I'm not pursuing that here.. just laying out some information I received, regardless of what I hear elsewhere. Yeah, receiving this info made for quite a discouraging day yesterday.

However, the bottom line is, although my GPA is certainly not endearing to a MAC, I should be able to nail the MCAT, which will hopefully open a couple of doors or draw at least a second glance. I suppose if anything shouldn't be underestimated, it's my resolve to complete this thing that I've started. The end story of this traversal will be interesting in the least.

I was presented with the idea recently to try DPM schoolbyt both fiancee, family, and advisor (we are in the process of buying a home, the hours are supposed to be decent, and the pay good in a growth market). Immediately I looked at this as a plate of bitter apples being handed to me. Under the circumstances, it wasn't the question IF I would eat them as much as it was HOW I would go about it. Ultimately I had to look at my true intent. Regardless of the potential pay, hours, and convenience, I just can't do something that I don't feel my heart would be in. But then, I have to do more footwork on the matter.

Will post as events emerge. This feels a decent section for communication between us all as well as interpersonal diaries. This is a nerve racking but exciting decision I think I've personally come upon. And it's taken me only 14 yrs to make it :) Good luck to everyone in their pursuits.

Cheers,

Phillip

DaveinDallas said:
Ok, so what're you flying? Air Force brat here. I used to love it when the Navy would come in talking trash about being the best fighter pilots in the world - until they went up against USAF at Langley. Usually, they went home with their tails between their legs....pin gold wings on 'em and let 'em fly off of a boat and they think they own the skies, sheesh.....(Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Anyone who wears the uniform deserves respect no matter the service).....

I'm "Moosepilot"! The C-17 is big and when you put fuel in it makes a distinctive "Moose call" as air burps out the wing fuel tank vents. So I'm a big cargo plane pilot, flying rubber dog doo wherever it needs to go : )

roballan14 said:

Living here doesn't give an advantage, however being a Texas resident does. By state law, Texas schools are only allowed to accept 10% non-residents to their medical school class. Baylor College of Medicine is an exception in that they accept ~25% non-residents. (non-residents meaning non Texas residents)

I turn 30 in July!! I just started my postbacc program in January. It's going well so far.

I was another one in the young and talented club, but somewhere along the line I lost my way. I had a kind of sheltered upbringing and the culture shock that was college life was part of what distracted me from my studies. Immaturity had a large part to play as well. I became a bit lazy and tried to get by with doing the least possible to still get B's. I was pre-med when I started but by the time I finished I was doing Music and Computer Science. Music, because it's my other major passion. CS, because the boom was just starting. I figured I'd work a few years and then finish my premed stuff and eventually get back into medicine.

I've been working as a Systems Analyst ever since. Work quickly became boring but I was also spending time gigging as a saxophonist for Latin bands. That was so much fun that it made up for my unsatisfying career. However as the years passed the music scene died down a bit (though it's picking up again!!) and so I was forced to think about my future. I knew I couldn't spend my entire life here at this computer. I also knew that while I loved music I couldn't see myself making that my career and practicing the required hours daily. I longed to be back in my community, working with and for the people. Medicine started intruding more and more strongly. It got to the point where I was thinking about it EVERY day at work. I finally couldn't take it anymore and on my 29th birthday last year I vowed to start going down the pre-med path once again.

I'm married and have no kids yet, but would like to have one now rather than during med school so I have to figure out when I can take a year off my postbacc program. I also have to fit in the volunteer stuff. All kinds of neat opportunities come up around here but I can't do much because of my full-time job. I am not at the point where I can stop working yet. It will probably be another 2 years before that. That, combined with the year off I will probably need, means that I wouldn't be entering med school until maybe 2008! We'll see what happens. I am ultra scared of the medical lifestyle so I may end up doing something else. But at the same time I can't think of anything I'd rather do. *sigh*

Good luck to you all! :luck: