Any old pre-meds out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
have determination (and good timing and luck). i will be 29 when i start med school this august - i found out i got in a couple of weeks ago. i'm going to think of all the non-trad pre-meds when i get there and know there must be some in the room with me!! i will find you if you are there!! just wanted to say it is possible. i think i used to question my career/academic choices more, but now i am thankful for the perspective it gives me. the med school just sent a questionairre and asked "If you didn't get into medical school, what would you be doing?" :p what a loaded question!

Members don't see this ad.

SleepPsych72 said:
...Does anybody study late at night because they have children. I study from 1-5 every morning....

:laugh: :thumbup: :laugh:
During the long semesters, I have my son set his alarm, just in case...he's found me more than once asleep at my desk atop a biochem/pharmacology/physiology, etc. book. :idea:

But breakfast was always ready.....(Cheerios, bowl, spoon :D )
SleepPsych72 said:
...Good luck and God bless!
Thanks! You, too! :love: :love: :love:

UNTIabrat ... thanks for bumping the thread. I did a search on shoes and this thread came up ... interesting none-the-less.

So ... my story ... I'm currenly 25, halfway completed my MBA working full-time and looking to enroll in a post-bacc program.

Overachiever in high school ... great GPA, all the activities, 1200 SAT (wish I would have studied now), etc. Go to college, and I was burnout from high school. My friends in high school called me doc b/c I was always the first to help someone who was hurt. Freshman year I went to an all women's college in VA and I wasn't happy. Concentrated on my grades my spring semester after a disaterous fall but transfered to another college. Freshman year of college I also was an athletic trainer and LOVED it. I wanted to do sports medicine (even if its one of the hardest specialties ... but what isn't?). So when transferring to my new school (I was DIV III going to DIV I) I didn't play any sports (in DIVI I played DIVIII) and couldn't do athletic training. I was a chem major so I was taking OChem, Qchem and wondering what was I doing. I wasn't doing well, mostly b/c my study habits stunk. I didn't even try to study for the most part and was getting C's while teaching the material to those who were getting B's. End of my soph year I switched my major to Econ and minored in business. At this point I was in a relationship with someone who then transferred to my school beginning my junior year. Pretty much disaterous. Not saying it was him, it was mostly me because I felt so lost in the world. I didn't have direction and was very conflicted. I knew my life was endanged when I had the lowest of low GPA's my last semester in college ... a 1.8. I never got a C in high school. Well once, in AP ADV CHEM b/c I got senioritis early in the year .... but I hit ROCK BOTTOM. My overall GPA was a 2.3, science GPA sucked b/c my Qchem class was a joke and everyone got a D except for the 2 people in the class who actually did Qchem for a living (teacher was a visiting prof) and I didn't really try in college. So I took a job when I graduated with a bank I had worked at in high school and college.

As you can see by my join date, I have debated medicine for a long time. I was also deterred to go into medicine as school loans for my undergrad were $$$$ and I was overwhelmed by the thought of more debt ($140K!!!) so I just plugged along the banking route. Finally, I decided I needed to be in the medical field in some capacity so I turned to nursing. Applied and everything b/c I hated my job and my life. Well I never went to nursing school b/c a job opportunity came up with better pay in a different field (mortgage industry) so I took that. As I started they had a MBA affliation with a local university so I have started my MBA. I started a year ago and I am currently halfway done, therein lies my dilemma. Time is ticking. I have to do post-bacc but I don't want to leave the MBA when I'm almost done. Plus the money thing is still an issue but when I look back ... I wish I would have sucked it up when I first graduated. Of course I'm sure everyone says that but I also don't think that I would have been capable of handling school back then. I'm willing to overlook the money and concentrate on my goal. But post-bacc is at least a year away and I am contemplating going full-time but I do have financial obilgations as well so that will be addressed in about 3 months when I start to apply to programs. But I will be either 27 or 28 when I start med school (if I get in the first time!!!)

The past 3 years I have been through alot of life changes. I think what really drove me into medicine was my father's accident. He stepped on a cracked grate outside his office and fractured both of his femurs (don't ask me how, to this day we STILL aren't sure) and was bedridden for about 8 months. I wanted to help him so badly and he was moved home 4 weeks after the accident non-weight bearing. So we had to help him do everything from his bed, the OT and PT would come and help him with learning to transfer, etc. My mom became the best nurse in the world and I admire her for that. Which is why I looked into nursing. I want to help people, care for people, explore diseases and how the body functions. That is more medicinal than nursing though. My parents reaction to nursing was why don't you just go through med school (mind you this was only 2 years ago). Now they think I'm crazy to give up my stability in the business world. They want me to go to law school now. But I'm trying to drive the point across to my mother that medicine has always been a curious passion of mine. If I don't do this now, it will be my one regret.

So with all my life changes over the past 3 years from college, the family issues, the career issues, and finally the relationship issues ... I broke up with my boyfriend of 5 years b/c we were in two separate stages of our lives, and yes although I don't want to admit it to him, he was dragging me down academically in some aspects b/c he didn't flourish in his academia. He is trying to finish up his undergrad in business right now, just as unsure of what he wants to do as well as I am. I miss him as we have grown apart over the past 9 months but right now this is the happiest I have ever been.

I am currently volunteering at a hospital, just started this past weekend. I am on the oncology floor right now, nothing exciting. but even on my first day with the haggard nurses and doctors everywhere who ignored my exisitence I knew that I fit in. I longed to have the knowledge of the med student next to me on the elevator. I felt that this is the path that is true for me. So right now I am researching, researching, and researching everything about medicine, med school, processes, residencies, etc. My friend is a 4th year in maryland and he was impressed at how much knowledge I know about the process and med schools in general. Things that he didn't even know about in reference to actual med schools and stats, etc.

I have alot of experience that I bring to the table, so to speak. I will be entering med school with at least 4 years work experience, an MBA (which I have a good GPA thus far) and a broken undergrad. The past 8 years of my life have been a struggle for me with direction ... But there is a song that I sang in my high school "choir" that is a poem by robert frost ... that pretty much explains my life ... because no matter what choices I have made, they are my choices and I would not be who I am today without them. Some of us are just that stubborn and hardheaded that we chose to take the "road not taken" and yep, I'm one of them. :D But that isn't going to slow me down!!!!

The Road Not Taken

By Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

The took the other, just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the other for another day!
Yes knowing how way leads to way,
I doubted if I shall ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in yellow wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for sharing. I feel like I should comment on shoes, though :D
Seriously, I love the Frost poem. It is truly the anthem of non-trads (see my sig), although I doubt he consciously intended it to be... :)

You said you were close to finishing your MBA. Is there the possibility of a dual degree (MD/MBA) if you entered med school before you finished?

Anyway, good luck to you. Welcome to our little support group. We're here all the time (ok, I am, anyway :p )

labrat

Hello! :)

I am 31yo, plan to start med school fall of 2006, so I'll be 33 by then. I am one of those "wanted to be a doctor since I was a kid'' people. I have known since about the age of 10 that I was going to be a physician. Unfortunately, I didn't set things up well enough in UG to get there. :(

I was a Biology major in UG but graduated in 1995 with mediocre grades. I took the MCAT once in August of 1995 and again mediocre at best. I am determined to get there so, now I am completing a Master in Health Care Admin, retaking some of the pre-reqs along with some additional science electives and gearing up for MCAT April 2005. :thumbup:

Good luck to all of us so-called ''old premeds!" :D

Blessed1

Thanks for the thread, I am 30, almost divorced, and the mother of a really cool 13 year old son. I am at a technical college right now and about two semesters away from transferring to the local university. :)

Just curious for the "old-timers" ... who's going MD and who's going DO? Or applying to both ... for those of you who have done it ... where did you go?

UNTlabrat said:
Thanks for sharing. I feel like I should comment on shoes, though :D
Seriously, I love the Frost poem. It is truly the anthem of non-trads (see my sig), although I doubt he consciously intended it to be... :)

You said you were close to finishing your MBA. Is there the possibility of a dual degree (MD/MBA) if you entered med school before you finished?

Anyway, good luck to you. Welcome to our little support group. We're here all the time (ok, I am, anyway :p )

labrat

labrat,
Well as for the MBA/MD ... I looked at the program at one specific school but the cirriculum was completely different (its at a sister campus of the school that I'm currently in). I haven't talked to admissions about it yet, that would be my next step, but then I might be limited on where I could go. Additionally, there program is TOTALLY different. It seemed like it was more of a MBA/MPA cross over or something which the concentrated healthcare classes. I'm interested in the MPA but I might try to find a program that I can go to school for MD/MPA and graduate on time. Some schools have a requirement that you can only transfer like classes into the program. I'm in a 20 class program with 9 already completed (with 2 waived) int he past year, and I have decided to go full time starting this upcoming fall. I currently have an email to the administration asking if its possible to transfer in 2 online courses at another university since I need to be done by the spring (or the summer but I have a "seminar" course that is only offered spring/fall that needs to be taken the last semester). Also there is a time limit on how long you have to finish the program. This one is 5 years. That is not enough time for me to go to med school and finish it. So I'm going to get it done this year, apply to post-bacc programs and go from there!!

I saw your signature and found it amusing that I myself also look upon Frost as a "mantra". :)

I also like the line from "Finding Nemo" with Dory singing ... "Keep on swimming, Keep on swimming, Keep on swimming, swimming, swimming, Keep on swimming ...."

mshheaddoc said:
Just curious for the "old-timers" ... who's going MD and who's going DO? Or applying to both ... for those of you who have done it ... where did you go?
For several reasons, my first choice is TCOM's DO/Ph.D program.
1. I have the DO mentality.

2. I like the atmosphere around campus. I've volunteered there and talked to several faculty members and students, and I already feel at home there. :love:

3. Location, location, location

Hi all!

I'm an *older* student as well (almost 34). I'm 2 semesters into my postbac and plan on taking the April MCAT and applying for entry in 2006. I have a checkered school history...It took me until August 2003 to get my BA. I quit school at UCSD in 1994 12 units short of my degree! Stupid stupid stupid... and has a dismal 2.8 overall GPA. I went back to school full time in 2001 at another university and finally!!! graduated last August Magna Cum Laude. (Of course, If I'd known that I would follow my dream of being a doctor, I wouldn't have been so hasty to get that degree right away...darn financial aid isn't so good for us post-bachers)

Anyway, nice to see there are a few of us on this board :)

Roselee

smokeycat said:
One of my teachers asked me about my age, and when I told him that I was born when Gerald Ford was president, everyone looked at me like I had two heads. Someone said "Who's Gerald Ford?" Another student said "There never was a president named Gerald Ford."

Once he realized his mistake, he said "You're that old???"

I replied, "Yes. I went to the prom with Moses, too. Would you like to see the pictures?" :D

Yes, I too love these youngster comments. There was a really cool "oldie" thread about statements that were made to some older students.

I mentioned something about remembering the day Reagan was shot and exactly what I was doing at the time. The guy next to me wasn't even born yet :laugh:

For the record, I'm 37 and will be 38 when starting . . . assuming I get in this cycle. I don't feel old, but my back sometimes disagrees. Age is definately a state of mind, for the most part.

When I looked at how many years of my working career remain, it made all the difference. Then devoting 10 years of schooling to gain the personal satisfaction inherent in medicine (making a difference in someone's life) just doesn't seem so long. Especially when you consider MS3 is when patient contact really accelerates.

Good luck to all you fellow non-trad's :thumbup: . Follow your heart.

Bumping this to complement another thread

Members don't see this ad :)
I am 38 and starting in a week at Mayo Clinic. I only applied M.D. because I did not know enough about D.O and did not ever want to deal with explaining to anyone what it was....

only my experience, but the necessity to explain what a DO is pretty much disappears when you get into the clinical environment. after you get your degree and are practicing, patients only need to know that you are a licensed, board certified physician. i'm not saying you hide your degree, but the poeple who ask the most about the differences and need the most explanations are usually pre-meds! i work with MDs and DOs and there is no difference between then practically and clinically. either way, you're going to be a doctor.

mshheaddoc said:
bump .... ALSO can we get this bumped to maybe the post-bacc forum. MCAT is kinda out of place for this.
Even better, can we have our own non-trad forum?

Mods?

i have a bfa in animation. haha! and a certificate in art therapy. and if there was a certificate for it, i would also have a 2 year degree in Bumming Around. im starting what i hope will be 2 years max in undergrad classes.. i havent taken any math or science classes in college before..and im still not exactly sure what i want to be. indecision is ruining my life!

Hey, if you're looking at this thread you might also be interested in the new non-traditionals forum. It's down near the lounge (scroll down on the big list of forums).

Thanks UNTLabrat for the work!

yeah. i'll be about 25 when i apply to med school.

I haven't visited this site in awhile and just noticed this forum!! :D I am 35 and will begin school at Western U/COMP in a couple of weeks. I am married with 3 children (3, 6, and 8). I study after they go to bed (around 8PM) till 12-2am, depending on what is going on (long time if I have an exam coming up or an activity is coming up with the family later in the week). I also study on the weekends...take notes with me on car rides, to the swimming pool, etc.

I have always wanted to be a doctor. Love the medical field. It has always facinated me. When I was younger I did not have a lot of confidence and certainly did not want to go to school for many years!! I graduated college with a BS in Speech Pathology/Audiology. I was not interested in the career path at all!! So, I did not go on to get the required Masters Degree. I did direct care for the MRDD population for awhile, then went to Medical Assistant school. I got a job in the medical field and stayed there for 10 years. I was able to talk to a doctor in a frank matter and that is what got me to follow my dreams. I had the opportunity to ask this doctor if he liked his job....if he had to do it all over, would he? or does he regret it? What do you like about your job? What don't you like?

So, after this conversation I began meeting with a pre-med advisor to find out what I had to do to get going. She outlined a two year plan....so, I could work 30 hours a week while doing this. It turned out to be a 3 year plan because i took time off to have my third child.

I took my MCAT in April 2003 after taking the Kaplan classroom course. I didn't do real good, but I think my experience in the medical field, GPA, and LORS made up for it. I found out I did well on my interview, as well. I applied to AZCOM, TOURO, and COMP. I sent secondaries to AZCOM and COMP. Got an interview with COMP and was accepted. AZCOM rejected me...suggesting I retake the MCAT.

Now I am here in SoCal, trying to get used to this HOT weather!! Starting to get mentally ready for school. Been busy trying to make sure my kids are registered for school...still need to get their school supply list and go get the supplies. My youngest has a daycare place to go that I feel good about. My husband is working the graveyard shift right now, but hopes to change to a day job soon. If that happens I will have to find my oldest two a before/after school program. I am glad there are other people out there who are going through what I am going through. People used to say to me, "I don't know how you go to school, work, and spend time with family." I would just say, "I don't think about it. I JUST DO IT!" ;)

Many times I sit at the dinner table, looking at my family thinking that I am very blessed to have my supportive family while going through this journey. I love them so much and don't think of them as an obstacle to my goals. At times it is challenging, but I wouldn't want to embark on this journey in any other way!!

Well, thas all folks :p

Howdy all! It's great to see that they finally added a nontrad forum on here :).

I'm 30 and still have 4 years left of ugrad (will end up with a triple degree - bio, chem, and philosophy). I had to add philosophy to keep financial aid since I had to limit myself to the 12-15 credits financial aid actually budgets us for, and I can't take all science all the time. I need to exercise the other parts of my brain too :D or I go nuts. I've wanted to be a doctor since I was a little girl but I also wanted to be a world-class figure skater, an actress, and a dancer lol. I had every intention of going to college as a premed bio major until my junior year of high school when I started getting really involved in the music and theater programs at my school. I went away to college as a music ed major and ended up hating the school, life, everything so I bombed out at the end of my first year. Came home, enrolled in the local CC, and got heavily into dance. Let my academics completely slide - tons of withdrawals and F's when I just wasn't interested in putting in the time necessary to do well in a course or was just bored with it. Decided that I was too old to have much of a career in dance and moved to Colorado to skate again since I wasn't yet too old for that. Enrolled in the local CC with the intention of eventually getting into PT school. Money ran out within 8 months of my being in Colorado so I quit school and skating and worked full time for 4 years. Finished a couple semesters part time at the CC and transferred to the university 2 years ago. By that point I had come full circle and wanted to pursue medicine again. Adjusting to the academic life again has been difficult - worked too much my first semester back so my grades weren't awesome, but were definitely better. Hit the Ochem and calculus walls hard but working on surviving it (I get it, just can't seem to get over the performing well on tests slump), but I'm slowly coming around. Found out the hard way that I wouldn't be able to survive 2 years of 17 credits of science, was finally diagnosed with depression (probably have had it for oh 12 years now lol), but I'm still determined to make the med school thing work. I may have to do a masters first, or go overseas (England if I go that route), but I will be a doctor someday.

Now I'm on meds, moving on campus (woohoo...no more waking up 2 hours before i have to be anywhere to catch the bus since I don't have a car), think I've figured out the study thing for the most part, and ready to hit the pavement running full steam ahead. Not married, no kids, but I do have a bf and we've been together for 6 years now (although my never having any time or everything having to be on my schedule is definitely putting a strain on things.

That's the short/long version of me ;)
--Jessica, UCCS

I'm 25 will be 26 if I get in next year so I'm an "older" applicant. I just feel old b/c I'm watching all my friends get married and have kids. And alas I'm still single but b/c I want to be, actually just broke up with the b*st*rd a week ago. He thinks he can tell me where I'm going to med school HA as if.
Anyways...a lil bout me:
BS in Clinical Lab Science, working fulltime as a Med Tech and part time at another hospital while attending a couple of classes a semester. I managed to keep a 3.5 postbacc but my overall is 3.37 from my undergrad. I took the MCAT this April and ended up with a 26Q. I'm proud of myself but I'm still nervous I wont get in anywhere. I'm applying to both DO and MD schools but I'm hoping for DO b/c it fits me best. Oh and I'm a TX resident which helps too. I'm trying to decide now if I dont get in if I'm going to keep doing the lab rat thing or do something else seeing that I'm almost already out of money from just applying, I wont be able to fund this process again next application cycle. My parents think I'm crazy and should just "stop the madness" but I'm not going to. I'm too damn determined to try. So that's me, PM me if you want. Lates

mshheaddoc said:
This is a brand spanking new forum we have going on here! I think that this is great!!! :)

Yeah, it is! I read through the other forums, but don't respond much b/c I don't really feel that I "fit in". So, this is very nice! :clap: :clap:

Do not ever think you are too old to go to medical school if it is truly what you want to do. Let me tell you about my class. We have about 125 students in our class, and we have a Dean's List that comes out every semester that includes only the top 10%. We have probably 20 people in our class above 30 years of age, and probably 5 or so over 40. Probably half the class is married, and of them probably 25% have kids. If you look at our Dean's list, routinely there are at least 7 of the ten or so people that are married, have kids, and are non-trads. Non trads run our class, and quite literally our school. Our class president and true school leader is 35, married with 3 kids, and is top 10%. Check him out at our website below. Non-trads rock!!

pathdr2b said:
I don't believe very many nontrads do it for the money. Especially when you consider the people like me that gave up near 6 figure salaries to take the MCAT for the upteenth time! :mad: :laugh:

Hi there,
This is not exactly true. Many non-trads cannot get it out of their minds that medicine is not a sure ticket to the country club. This attitude is more profound in the non-trads than in the trads.

As I am a very old general surgery resident, I can't tell you how many people come up to me and say how much money I am going to be making because I am sacrificing now. I made much more money as a college professor (Analytical Chemist and Biochemist) than I make now and with malpractice premiums over the top, I would have been doing better had I remained in teaching. (At least I kept my retirement benefits)!

The traditional children of immigrants and the non-trads seem to view medicine as their ticket to instant wealth. It is far from that and getting worse every year. It is easier and quicker to make your money in business.

njbmd

njbmd said:
This attitude is more profound in the non-trads than in the trads.

I'm basing my opinion on the comments from SDN compared to old premeds and mommd. I haven't seen too many threads about "the car I'm going to drive when I graduate" in either of those 2 places. But perhaps, these nontrads and moms already own a 7 series BMW so it may all be a moot point I guess! :laugh: But even among my close friends going back to school, if they're doing it for the money they sure aren't claiming to be.

I'm checking in here. Early thirties makes me non traditional

I just turned 30 two weeks ago, and I just took the MCAT in August. I expect a 29-31 on it (if my Kaplan practice exams correlate.) Thankfully I have already taken my pre-requisites for Medical School when I attended Univ. of Michigan from 1992-1996. My grades are pretty good, science GPA is about 3.6 and overall is 3.3. I plan to apply to Medical Schools in 2005, which will be for matriculation in 2006.

Now I'm starting to think about my personal statement and the secondaries that go along with applying. I'm curious how other, older pre-meds, have written their personal statements. What do you emphasize in them? Besides writing why you feel you want to be a physician and make the career change, do you talk about what you've done since you graduated from college?

I decided to apply to medical school after many years of introspection on my life course. Since I graduated from college, I have worked my way up to becoming a Senior Software Engineer making about $110K/year. So, as you might imagine, software engineering is a nice way to make a good living. But after 3 years I started to realize that I wasn't really enjoying what I was doing. Some of my more talented engineering friends at work just LOVE engineering, and they would get so into it when they talked about it! I was never like that. And I saw that it would be just a matter of time that I would reach a cliff in my career and not be able to move beyond it. I just don't care that much about engineering.

However, medicine has the elements that I desire....

1) it should never be difficult to find some personal satisfaction in the work you do - you are (trying) to heal sick people. But to me, medicine is more about building relationships with other patients and doctors. And it's those relationships that I care the most about. One can build a relationship with other employees, colleagues, but the dynamic is different when it is a doctor and a patient. Patients invest trust in a doctor, sometimes never knowing the doctor. The relationships in business are "what have you done for me lately?" or "are you with me?" It's all about making money in the business world - profit/margin IS the bottom line. In many ways it disgusts me.

2) job security - the stability of being a doctor is quite intriguing. I've never lived a life where my job will (most likely) be secure. It becomes tiresome to continue to look for jobs. Even if you are a top engineer, you can be layed off in a heartbeat. Thus far I've had 4 different jobs. Never been fired but been layed off 4 times. :thumbdown:

3) Science, it's gotta be about science. I love science, I am fascinated about how the human body works, and I'm fascinated by biology. I find it simply amazing that one cell can differentiate into a complex human being. I'm surprised there aren't more problems in that process too.

It's hard for me to describe specific moments that made me want to become a doctor. That's because there aren't any. It's taken years of thought, understanding the state of health care, all of the problems you might have becoming a doctor, the responsibilities, the work involved, the money you make, the kind of lifestyle you will live, the respect you'll earn - all of these factors have influence my decision to become a doctor. I'm not worried about the workload - I studied my pants off for the MCAT and I actually felt it was fun! It was really fun to learn about all the stuff I used to know in college.

I'm not like some pre-meds who cut their finger when they were 5 and had a doctor sew them up, or experience a death by a loved one that inspired them to become a doctor. I think my reasons are a little more practical, or pragmatic. I certainly feel I'm more mature to make this decision than someone who is 20, now the challenge become how do I write all this down in a personal statement.

So, after all of this mumbling and jumbling, have other older premeds found it difficult to write their PS? Anyone want to share their experiences?

thegenius said:
I just turned 30 two weeks ago, and I just took the MCAT in August. I expect a 29-31 on it (if my Kaplan practice exams correlate.) Thankfully I have already taken my pre-requisites for Medical School when I attended Univ. of Michigan from 1992-1996. My grades are pretty good, science GPA is about 3.6 and overall is 3.3. I plan to apply to Medical Schools in 2005, which will be for matriculation in 2006.

Now I'm starting to think about my personal statement and the secondaries that go along with applying. I'm curious how other, older pre-meds, have written their personal statements. What do you emphasize in them? Besides writing why you feel you want to be a physician and make the career change, do you talk about what you've done since you graduated from college?

I decided to apply to medical school after many years of introspection on my life course. Since I graduated from college, I have worked my way up to becoming a Senior Software Engineer making about $110K/year. So, as you might imagine, software engineering is a nice way to make a good living. But after 3 years I started to realize that I wasn't really enjoying what I was doing. Some of my more talented engineering friends at work just LOVE engineering, and they would get so into it when they talked about it! I was never like that. And I saw that it would be just a matter of time that I would reach a cliff in my career and not be able to move beyond it. I just don't care that much about engineering.

However, medicine has the elements that I desire....

1) it should never be difficult to find some personal satisfaction in the work you do - you are (trying) to heal sick people. But to me, medicine is more about building relationships with other patients and doctors. And it's those relationships that I care the most about. One can build a relationship with other employees, colleagues, but the dynamic is different when it is a doctor and a patient. Patients invest trust in a doctor, sometimes never knowing the doctor. The relationships in business are "what have you done for me lately?" or "are you with me?" It's all about making money in the business world - profit/margin IS the bottom line. In many ways it disgusts me.

2) job security - the stability of being a doctor is quite intriguing. I've never lived a life where my job will (most likely) be secure. It becomes tiresome to continue to look for jobs. Even if you are a top engineer, you can be layed off in a heartbeat. Thus far I've had 4 different jobs. Never been fired but been layed off 4 times. :thumbdown:

3) Science, it's gotta be about science. I love science, I am fascinated about how the human body works, and I'm fascinated by biology. I find it simply amazing that one cell can differentiate into a complex human being. I'm surprised there aren't more problems in that process too.

It's hard for me to describe specific moments that made me want to become a doctor. That's because there aren't any. It's taken years of thought, understanding the state of health care, all of the problems you might have becoming a doctor, the responsibilities, the work involved, the money you make, the kind of lifestyle you will live, the respect you'll earn - all of these factors have influence my decision to become a doctor. I'm not worried about the workload - I studied my pants off for the MCAT and I actually felt it was fun! It was really fun to learn about all the stuff I used to know in college.

I'm not like some pre-meds who cut their finger when they were 5 and had a doctor sew them up, or experience a death by a loved one that inspired them to become a doctor. I think my reasons are a little more practical, or pragmatic. I certainly feel I'm more mature to make this decision than someone who is 20, now the challenge become how do I write all this down in a personal statement.

So, after all of this mumbling and jumbling, have other older premeds found it difficult to write their PS? Anyone want to share their experiences?

I brainstormed and thought what life experiences I had that made me a better applicant. I've got a lot more history than I did fresh out of college and a lot of it is stuff that really will make me a better doctor. I tried to figure out what the positive and relevant facts were and write them into an organized whole that highlighted the points that would make me attractive to my favorite school(s).

I think you should mention stuff from your numbered list above. I started my PS last October. It went through about 20 drafts. I had it reviewed by two different people, who had opposite opinions on the whole thing. I actually had a lot to say, mostly about my desire, goals, and the experience of being "non-traditional." But I just couldn't seem to come with something that said all those things, conveyed the "real" me, and sounded confident.

I had lunch with my friend who started TCOM this year (where I want to go), and maybe just being on campus, seeing her classroom, meeting her classmates, etc. made me realize how badly I wanted it and how close I was. I went home and started typing. One draft. I sat back and read it, and smiled. It was exactly what I wanted to say. One edit for grammar and spelling, and I sent it. It was the only thing holding up my app. The secondary went out the next day. I guess I just needed the inspiration... :)

layed - not good

laid - good.

I hear you on personal statements. I wound up writing mine while replying to a thread in another forum. One advisor I had mentioned that he liked the way I mentioned my decision making process, rather than a 'epiphany' type of thing. He said that those who have the epiphany that they were meant to be doctors tend to be the ones who have the epiphany that they were not when the going gets rough.

Just be real and convey yourself. Try not to be negative and have more of a reason than job security. For me, it's science and helping people. You sound like you came to the same realization I did, only I did it after being laid off. I don't like software engineering that much.

DaveinDallas said:
layed - not good

laid - good.

Heh. I don't know what layed is. But being laid off is never fun.

DaveinDallas said:
I hear you on personal statements. I wound up writing mine while replying to a thread in another forum. One advisor I had mentioned that he liked the way I mentioned my decision making process, rather than a 'epiphany' type of thing. He said that those who have the epiphany that they were meant to be doctors tend to be the ones who have the epiphany that they were not when the going gets rough.

I almost ended up writing mine as well when I was replying to someone else. When I wrote the post to this thread, I found myself typing sentences that would go fit well in my personal statement.

DaveinDallas said:
Just be real and convey yourself. Try not to be negative and have more of a reason than job security. For me, it's science and helping people. You sound like you came to the same realization I did, only I did it after being laid off. I don't like software engineering that much.

I agree with your advice. It's obviously not just about job security, it's about numerous things. What I'm trying to reconcile is how I talk about what I want to do in the future (medicine) when what I've done in the past is different (software engineering, business). Really good Personal Statements are ones where you sell yourself, but also being geniune and honest. I have been shaped in many ways by my professional experiences over the past 6 years, but do I really want to spend time talking about what I did in the past 6 years?

It's a delicate balance between emphasizing your past and your future. What I'm afraid of is writing too much about what I did, because then I fear ADCOMs will think that I haven't thought much about being a doctor. If I write too much about what I want to do going forward, it may not come off right.

I just had a thought....would any of the non-traditional pre-meds like to share with me their personal statements? If that is OK private message me and I'll send you my e-mail address.

UltimateDO said:
I turn 29 right before I start this summer. Spent 6 years as an engineer, figured out that it was not the long term career path I wanted and decided to change course to something that will give me a little more job satisfaction. Single and kidless, makes the career change decision a little easier but still tough kissing my 30s goodbye. :rolleyes:
I

I was an engineer alomost and I already seen the affects man, read my message JChaney give me a relpy and talk to me a little

36 and recently completed my ARNP degree in psych. Working making $$$$ and so disapointed at myself for not going MD route. Second post and the 2nd year I have spent new years eve comtemplating my possabilities. Now I know as I go to work daily that I need to act. The thing is I would just be starting premed classes (at a community college as live in no place southwest kansas) if you count retaking the two I didnt care anything about ten years ago. GPA graduate 3.8 but only 3.3 before that.

I could go be a "doctor of nursing" but I am not sure what the h%%%% the difference would be from what I am doing now. Oh wife runs local clinic. KU Med closest at 8 hrs away. Did drive 4hrs for last 2.5yrs weekly for grad school.

I didnt check spellin and i am not out to impress by using big words.
Any thoughts

36 and recently completed my ARNP degree in psych. Working making $$$$ and so disapointed at myself for not going MD route. Second post and the 2nd year I have spent new years eve comtemplating my possabilities. Now I know as I go to work daily that I need to act. The thing is I would just be starting premed classes (at a community college as live in no place southwest kansas) if you count retaking the two I didnt care anything about ten years ago. GPA graduate 3.8 but only 3.3 before that.

I could go be a "doctor of nursing" but I am not sure what the h%%%% the difference would be from what I am doing now. Oh wife runs local clinic. KU Med closest at 8 hrs away. Did drive 4hrs for last 2.5yrs weekly for grad school.

Any thoughts

I think as long as you are breathing it is not too late...I would definitely research into it if it is something on your mind. It will take some sacrifices and flexibility. You are the only one that is going to be able to decide if this is something that you really want decide on.

Any thoughts

Sure, I always have thoughts. :cool:

Absolutely it is not too late and if this is what you want to do. Your psych experience will only help bolster your application when you apply. I think nursing is a great profession too, but I also think that if being a doctor is what you really want, anything else will probably ultimately be unsatisfying.

As far as your other points: it's usually considered suboptimal to take the premed work at a community college--but if yours is known to be a particularly good one, the local med school will probably know that. Alternatively, do the work wherever you want and then kick the snot out of the MCAT, which will tend to show them that you've absorbed the information. ;) If there's any way to take some of the coursework elsewhere, especially organic chem, I personally really do recommend it.

Commuting for four hours (!??!) would be difficult at best for the first two years, and totally impossible once you get into clinical work in third year. Eight hours = you have to move. Is that something you and your wife are willing to contemplate?

My cred: undergraduate degree in dramatic literature and theatre arts, '90. Started post-bacc work in 2001. Entered med school in 2004, will graduate this May, residency location still TBD but entering child neurology. I am 39.

Any thoughts

I am sort of in the same boat you are in. I just graduated with my MS (Nursing) and was all ready to take the nurse anesthetist route but thought that I might not feel satisfied so I am taking the plunge to medical school. I am 35 and starting my prerequisites. This was the most liberating decision I have made.
:banana::banana: