Any one Doing a Post-Bac Program This Coming Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Will

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's gonna be doing a post-bac program this up coming year? Where are you doin' it at? And why did you choose the school you did?

Members don't see this ad.

I am, at Penn. I chose Penn because their program is great for people who work full-time (classes at night and on Saturdays), and they have a "linkage" program with several med schools which will eliminate the lag year between applying and matriculating med school. I'm so excited! Plus, it's not too far from where I live...

I was also considering doing a postbac sometime in the future, but I am not sure yet where I'd like to do the postbac. If I'm not mistaken, it seems like there are two types of postbac programs: one that allows you to work while taking classes at night, and one in which you devote a year or two full-time to taking classes with the undergrads. It seems as though the latter is more highly regulated and selective, and might devote more time to advising the students. However, it also seems to be the more expensive and time-consuming of the two.

Can someone tell me more about Penn's postbac program and whether it's more similar to the former or the latter? What is the acceptance rate into medical school for its postbacs and how stringent are admissions requirements into the postbac program? In addition, did you get much personal advising and attention, or was there not a lot of handholding? Under what circumstances would the health professions committee be willing to write you a committee letter? How expensive was the program?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that Post-Bacc Programs are generally of two types. The first is for "second career" people that do not have medical school pre-reqs. The other type is for people who want to take classes to bump up their GPA. In each of these catagories, there are programs that are more flexible.

I did the Bryn Mawr program which is the first type. It was great, but unfortunately does not have an option for taking classes in the evening.

Ed

MCP hanneman has two post-bacc programs. worth alook for those interested.
I have no idea - about the details of both programs.