Any other WWAMI applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TSisk23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious to see who else is in this boat with me.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
lizanne11 said:
Well, Washington resident here, does that count?
Sine you are the only reply...yes it counts

I thought Wa residents were part of WICHE not WWAMI.

10yearmedic said:
I thought Wa residents were part of WICHE not WWAMI.

Well what do you think the other W in WWAMI stands for then? Wisconsin? WICHE simply is the western interstate commission for higher education-- which includes Washington in its 15 state membership. http://www.wiche.edu/States/

All these acronyms are so confusing!

But I'm a WWAMI! W for Washington! coming home in a week! yay!

Sorry, momentarily confused. I am a Wa. resident as well. So Washington residents are WICHE as well as WWAMI? Does this mean anything other than multiple states are looked at as residents to UW? Are Wa residents treated as residents of any other states?

10yearmedic said:
Sorry, momentarily confused. I am a Wa. resident as well. So Washington residents are WICHE as well as WWAMI? Does this mean anything other than multiple states are looked at as residents to UW? Are Wa residents treated as residents of any other states?

I don't know much about WICHE-- but it seems to cover higher education in general, across the member western states. WWAMI refers to the 5 states that are served by the University of Washington School of Medicine (and maybe other professional schools as well??) because those other states (Wyoming/Alaska/Montana/Idaho) do not have a medical institution of their own. (Hence the exclusion of Oregon from WWAMI) I don't think WA residents are treated as residents of any other state. It wouldn't make sense to, since we have the University of Washington as our source of medical education.

ahumdinger said:
I don't know much about WICHE-- but it seems to cover higher education in general, across the member western states. WWAMI refers to the 5 states that are served by the University of Washington School of Medicine (and maybe other professional schools as well??) because those other states (Wyoming/Alaska/Montana/Idaho) do not have a medical institution of their own. (Hence the exclusion of Oregon from WWAMI) I don't think WA residents are treated as residents of any other state. It wouldn't make sense to, since we have the University of Washington as our source of medical education.

Thanks for the clarification

Tsisk23--

Hey fellow WWAMier!! I am AK and interviewing in Jan.

Toxic said:
Tsisk23--

Hey fellow WWAMier!! I am AK and interviewing in Jan.
Hey someone from a non-WA state. Awesome. Our interveiws are in Feb...it blows but we know by the end of the week as to whether or not we are accepted. Where in AK are you from? I am from Cheyenne, WY in case you cared. Hard to believe there is no one else from these states.

Oh and by the way...the WICHE thing is quite sweet. If you get certified the schools participating look at you as an in state applicant. I think Arizona, Oregon, Stanford, one of the UC schools, Hawaii, New Mexico, South Dakota, and maybe a few others are all WICHE participators. So it really works to your favor if you can get certified. Some only care if you are from Montana and Idaho I believe while the others will look at all WICHE applicants. Looking at the website it looks like some states only are participators in certain fields...like not all use it for medicine...some use if for podiatry, optometry, etc. So the WICHE thing covers many different fields.

Idaho res. here... I'll be applying this spring :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
TSisk23 said:
Hey someone from a non-WA state. Awesome. Our interveiws are in Feb...it blows but we know by the end of the week as to whether or not we are accepted. Where in AK are you from? I am from Cheyenne, WY in case you cared. Hard to believe there is no one else from these states.

I am from Anchorage (well I am actually from MN originally but I have been up here for about 5 yrs off and on). I wish our interviews weren't so far away!! There are actually 2 sets of interviews for AK and I am in the first group (alot of AK residents are August MCATers and I was in April so I had my stuff in pretty early). Anyways, the second group isn't until the beginning of March so I probably won't hear anything for like 2 months after my interview which totally sucks!!! But I am excited to see UW and I love Seattle. Good luck on your applications!

Hey, how many spots are there for WY?? AK gets 10 for about 70 applicants or so.

disheveled_dave said:
Idaho res. here... I'll be applying this spring :thumbup:

Welcome disheveled Dave!

Toxic said:
I am from Anchorage (well I am actually from MN originally but I have been up here for about 5 yrs off and on). I wish our interviews weren't so far away!! There are actually 2 sets of interviews for AK and I am in the first group (alot of AK residents are August MCATers and I was in April so I had my stuff in pretty early). Anyways, the second group isn't until the beginning of March so I probably won't hear anything for like 2 months after my interview which totally sucks!!! But I am excited to see UW and I love Seattle. Good luck on your applications!

Hey, how many spots are there for WY?? AK gets 10 for about 70 applicants or so.
Hey, yeah we are lucky and only have the one interview week...i believe there are 12 seats this year for WY residents and about 45 are interviewed...next year it will be 14 seats and the year after it will be 16. I actually just called U of Wyoming today to ask about that. So 12 for this upcoming class. So the chances are pretty decent...i really do not know what the whole applicant pool looks like from WY so hopefully I stand a good chance. Sorry to hear you have to wait. That would not be fun at all. I am excited to go back to Seattle too although I have heard the interviews can be rough...i dunno guess we'll see. Good luck to you as well.

Hey, I'm a first year WWAMI student from WY. If anyone has questions about the process or what it's like going to school here I'd be happy to give you the inside scoop. Good luck to everyone!

dnickers,
How many of those in your WWAMI class at UW are reapplicants? How many are Wyoming graduates?

I called the WWAMI office at Wyoming today and apparently there are 14 seats for this years class which is good news and after talking to washington they said they only interviewed 34 from wyoming last year. Surprising but definately a good thing in my book.

This is the first year that the WWAMI class has 12 students. Next year there will be 14, then 16. People in my class went to school at UWyo (6), Dartmouth, Lawrence University, Yale, Airforce Academy/Colorado College, Pacific University and Carleton College. We don't have any reapplicants in our class but I don't think being a reapplicant could do anything but help you by showing your dedication to becoming a doctor and to attending medical school through the WWAMI program.

PS. Rumor has it that the WY legislature passed the bill to increase the class size without informing the University of Washington, and it came as quite a surprise to them when they found out. Pretty funny!

dnickers said:
This is the first year that the WWAMI class has 12 students. Next year there will be 14, then 16. People in my class went to school at UWyo (6), Dartmouth, Lawrence University, Yale, Airforce Academy/Colorado College, Pacific University and Carleton College. We don't have any reapplicants in our class but I don't think being a reapplicant could do anything but help you by showing your dedication to becoming a doctor and to attending medical school through the WWAMI program.

PS. Rumor has it that the WY legislature passed the bill to increase the class size without informing the University of Washington, and it came as quite a surprise to them when they found out. Pretty funny!

I know that reapplicants typically have an advantage during the interview process. The reason I am curious about those in the 2009 WWAMI class is becuase I know for certain that at least 3 in the Wyoming WWAMI 2008 class were reapplicants and I personally know 2 more from other classes.

Maybe it's my preception, but the percentage of WWAMI student from Wyoming who were reapplicants seems high. I just get the feeling the adcom weighed reapplicants more favorably than first timers. It is certainly their right to do so, but it seems unfair to those who are perfectly quailified the first time around. Again, probably perception not reality.

I like the legislature's initiative, but a class size of 14 won't come close to solving the states projected physician shortage. Basically, WY has to depend on privately educated physicans and those lucky enough to become WICHE certified (not that easy).

I'm worried for the state's future healthcare ...

I know a lot of people on sdn talk about the advantage of being a reapplicant, but I really don't think it puts you at a disadvantage if you're a first-time applicant to Wyoming. Like I said, everyone in my class is a first-time applicant. It's obvious to me after spending the past (almost) four months with my classmates that the number one priority is picking qualified applicants who are good human beings.

If I were a qualified re-applicant and you were a qualified first-time applicant, I'm pretty sure we'd end up being classmates. Being a reapplicant definitely shows your dedication and if you're qualified you have a great shot at being accepted, but the same goes for you if you are a first-time applicant who has shown your dedication by volunteering and seeking out clinical experience. I really wouldn't sweat it too much. There aren't that many people who qualify for Wyoming WWAMI, so you just never know what the class will end up being like.

TSisk23 said:
I called the WWAMI office at Wyoming today and apparently there are 14 seats for this years class which is good news and after talking to washington they said they only interviewed 34 from wyoming last year. Surprising but definately a good thing in my book.

That means that I might have a chance. I am a fellow Wyoming resident. I am from Laramie, WY. I have been applying to both WICHE and WWAMI programs.

dnickers said:
Hey, I'm a first year WWAMI student from WY. If anyone has questions about the process or what it's like going to school here I'd be happy to give you the inside scoop. Good luck to everyone!

Hey, dnickers, is the interview as "un-nerving" as everyone makes it sound? What did you do to prepare? Any advice? What were your impressions of the quality of education you received at WY? Thanks!

live2theedge said:
Hey, dnickers, is the interview as "un-nerving" as everyone makes it sound? What did you do to prepare? Any advice? What were your impressions of the quality of education you received at WY? Thanks!

Bump.

Alaska applicant in two years, should have been next year, but some unforseen problems prevented that...

I am from Laramie, WY and applying in both the WICHE and WWAMI programs.

I'm a first-time applicant from Idaho. I've been complete forever-and-a-day (08/03 to be exact), and am getting a little discouraged. I'm starting to think this is probably a really bad sign: U of W only gets around 3,000 applicants (06-07 MSAR data), which is thousands less than many other schools which have already given me holds/rejects/interviews. I know I just need a little bit of patience.....Argh!! I don't do "patience."

***Practice good health: play doctor.***

Idaho applicant here too.
Don't worry about the wait. I haven't heard anything from UW either (although I have only been complete a week so I suppose that doesn't count). According to the 06-07 MSAR UW interviewed 702 of 948 resident + WWAMI applicants. Anyone halfway competitive should be a shoo-in for an interview.

I'm a Washington Resident.
Have my interview at the U-Dub on 10/20

Another Idaho applicant here.

Hey Jillibean, out of curiousity, how long did you wait between being complete and nabbing that interview at UW? My little sister is at UofI, and I promised that I'd visit her on my way to/from Seattle if I got an interview. Now everytime I talk to her she demands to know when I'll be in Moscow...

Hey Jillibean, out of curiousity, how long did you wait between being complete and nabbing that interview at UW? My little sister is at UofI, and I promised that I'd visit her on my way to/from Seattle if I got an interview. Now everytime I talk to her she demands to know when I'll be in Moscow...

It was about a month. I think the majority of Idaho interviews are during two weeks in Feb. so don't worry if it takes a long time for them to get back to you, its not like you'll be at a disadvantage.

I just looked through the interview invite info again and here are the dates for WWAMI interviews:

Wyoming: February 12-16, 2007
Alaska: January 10-12, and February 27-March 2, 2007
Idaho: February 5-9 and March 5-9, 2007
Montana: January 22-26 and February 20-23, 2007

Pretty late!

montana applicant here...no love from the key wiche/wwami schools yet. grrrrr...

WA application. cmonnnn UWSOM

Idaho applicant here.

Completing UW's secondary as we speak.....where did the dates for the interviews come from that jillibean posted?

So....what other schools have you other WWAMI students applied to? Where are you at in the process?

i applied everywhere...i submitted all my secondaries this summer and now i'm just going on interviews and playing the waiting game

I applied all over the place as well geographically, 17 schools. I got all but two of my secondaries submitted in August, complete by early September (late for SDN, right on time in the real world). I have gotten 3 interview invites so far but haven't heard back from UW.

I am nervous because of their weighted GPA calculation: (Frosh + 2*Soph + 3*Junior)/3

My senior year was my best year (4.0 loaded with upper level sciences) while Frosh and Soph were mediocre (3.3). Junior year I was abroad, so all my classes were mandatory pass/fail = GPA of undefined. My total GPA was a 3.6, so I should make their 3.5 cutoff, but I don't any way they calculate it without my Sr year.

Hey, Washington applicant here. I submitted my primary on 9/3/06, (finally) heard back from AMCAS on 10/10/06, submitted my UW application on 10/30/06 and just found out today (11/7/06) that I have an interview on 11/29/06. My roommate is also a Washington applicant and had her interview a week ago. She said it wasn't as bad as everyone says it is and that UWSOM is trying hard to make the interview process less stressful for their applicants.

This is my first interview, and I want to do well (UWSOM is my first choice school). Has anyone else interviewed at UW yet? How would you suggest preparing for the interview? Luckily, my undergraduate institution (PLU) offers mock interviews, so I'm signing up for one, but what else should I do? Thanks everyone! :)

Hello all of you WWAMI friends.
I'm a Wyoming applicant, and UWSOM is definitely my first choice school.:love: I'm surprised by the number of Wyoming people on this forum (we are few and far between). Anyway, I also heard that the WY legislature gave us a few more WWAMI slots. Good luck to you all, and I'll let you know if I hear about my interview....turned my application in about two weeks ago.:confused:

I'm part of the WWAMI ferry. WA resident here

Another WA resident here! I interview there this next tuesday, Dec. 5, anyone else interviewing that day?

hey- just checking up on the wwami's....last month i finally got my interview for jan. 25. seems so far away but i'm sure it will be here sooner than i expect.

how is everyone else doing?

Still haven't heard anything official, although a woman in the Admissions Office told me that I had been selected for an interview and scheduling was still being worked out. I really hope I interview in February and not March.