Any Postbaccs for biology degrees?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BerkeleyPremed

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I already did a search for it and the search turned up nothing. Are there any postbacc programs for people who already have degrees in the hard sciences (biology, chemistry, etc)? So far, the only one I can think of is the Georgetown SMP program which will accept folks with any degree. However, I heard it's mainly geared towards those who have already tried (unsuccessfully) to get into med school. Any help would be much appreciated.

Respectfully,
BP

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to know also...

btw, the georgetown SMP program accepts anyone with a degree? really.... nice.

Hey,

I did the Georgetown program last year. I hadn't previously applied, but I clearly didn't have much of a shot without some kind of post-bacc. Still, I'm pretty sure that there were at least a few other people there who also hadn't previously applied. They will accept any bachelors level degree, but your overall GPA has to be over 3.0 (science GPA can be lower) and you have to have either MCAT or GRE scores to be accepted to the SMP.

BP, there are lots of UC (U of California and U of Chicago) people there -- our program is nicknamed UC Georgetown. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
The post-bacc program at University of Miami takes any degree. You can use it to get all your requirements (like I did) or you can use it to take advanced science courses to make up for a previous not-so-wonderful transcript or just to show that you are dedicated and are willing to put the work in. They don't care your reasons, really, as long as you maintain a 3.5 while in the program. A friend of mine in the program had a degree in biology, so the only basic course she took was physics, and the rest were upper level classes. Because there are many reason to go post-bacc, a lot of programs create a schedule for your own personal needs.

I hope that helped. Best of luck.

You can look into the post bac program at CSU Hayward. It is a structured program with advisors. When I visited it there were a lot of Cal grads who had bio or chem degrees taking upper division science classes to bring up their GPAs.

is hayword close to LA?

I go to NYMC and am in a Master's program in Basic Medical Sciences. It is designed for people who want to go on to med school, though it is meant to be 2 years long. I got my undergrad degree in neuroscience, and I find the program to fit me perfectly. It's helping me for the MCAT, and also giving me med school type classes. There are others...Drexel has one, etc. If you apply for Georgetown, apply early...I applied late and didn't get in, and I had a 3.4 undergrad, which I figured would have been good enough. They also basically require you to have taken the MCAT, which I had not. But if you do enough research, the programs are out there.

Originally posted by bubbajones
is hayword close to LA?

No. It's across the Bay from San Francisco, about 20 minutes from Berkeley. It's like 5-6 hours from LA.