any Premeds with Social Anxiety?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmejia

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm know doctors need to be confident and very social individuals. My concern is that I tend to be anxious in group settings. Alhough I see myself functioning very well with patients because I've done so when volunteering at clinics, I'm concerned enough about my social anxiety that I've considered trying a different career. I had planned applying to med school this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Umm, if I were you, I would first wonder any of your recommenders alluded to this. If so, it could be damaging. However, that being said, I know several introverted people who are in med school and doing well. It really depends on the severity. That being said, I think that counseling may help, because at some point in your career as a resident or doctor (depending on your specialty), you are going to have to work in groups. Also, when you are applying to med schools, you may want to avoid those with PBL (problem based learning) as the entire premise is to work in a group of 8-10 students to teach one another instead of sitting in lecture all day. Good luck.

I just wanted to let you know that I, too, have experienced shyness and social anxiety. I often wonder how I would ever be able to become a good physician if just sitting with coworkers for lunch makes me nervous. The truth is, you are not alone, and I am actually glad to hear that I am not either. Many people experience discomfort in group settings. You must trust your instinct....if you are good with patients, you will be a good doctor. Some of the very best doctors that I know are shy and reserved, but they also have a gift for communicating with their patients. There is a good book out, called SHYNESS, written by Bernardo J. Carducci, Ph.D. that has been helpful for me and you might find it helpful for you as well. In the near future, try taking some small steps in reaching out to people. Part of overcoming shyness is just practice. And, for me, therapy has been helpful...it has helped me to understand my true personality, and the hangups from my past that have gotten in the way of my social relationships as a teenager and young adult. You are not alone, and if you ask me, I would choose you as a doctor over the other respondant "Christiangirl". You seem to have much more sensitivity and kindness. As far as recommendations go, you want people to recomend YOU for who you are and what you know you can accomplish. Some people see the world in only one way, and you don't want someone like that to recommend you anyway. Best wishes, Sarah (I'd like to hear your response, so I'll check back soon
smile.gif

Sara - At the risk of sounding rude, I must respond to you, but I will try to be as polite as possible. ANYONE (as in any pre-med advisor) will tell you if you have any psychiatric disorder not to mention it during the interview or in personal statements, because ADCOMS are composed of people and some will be biased, even though it is a simple problem. Therefore, to go one step further, it is probably best if recommenders don't mention it, unless they really emphatically offer proof as to why it would not affect one's ability to practice medicine. I was trying only to offer advice. If YOU notice, I did SAY that I have a few friends who are introverted and WILL BE fantastic doctors. However, if being in group situations makes one uneasy then I don't think a PBL currciulum would be helpful. Also, if you note the original post-er of this note also wrote in the allopathic section and several of the physicians and med students ALSO told her this was something that she should probably try to resolve before medical school by counseling and such, which is what I think. In conclusion, You Sara, don't know me, so you have no right to judge what type of doctor I will be. PEOPLE who know me have vouched that they believe I will be a great doctor, so I believe that I will take their opinions over yours. I think you are incredibly rude to say something like that. I hope you lose your quick judgemental nature (by one post, you can decide who would be a better doctor? please!! I hope you use more thought when you diagnose a patient rather than only waiting until they say three sentences about their condition to you before YOU become a doctor. Otherwise, your concern should lie in people trusting YOU and not me to be their doctor. I apologize for being terse, but I really think you were offensive for no reason to me. After all, you don't know me.

[This message has been edited by Christiangirl (edited 02-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Christiangirl (edited 02-06-2001).]