Social Media Presence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texasexes

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Has anyone ever been reached out to by faculty at a school that you are applying to via social media? I was on Instagram this afternoon and saw a new follower request and after looking at their page/online presence/mutual followers, I realized that they are a faculty member and department chair at one of the programs I have applied to. Weird coincidence or maybe related?

Members don't see this ad.

They are most likely interested...but want to screen your social media for any red flags you may have on there...

This is why most med-students suddenly delete most of their old social media photos of them partying/drinking after getting accepted to avoid any scrutiny or judgement.

Reactions: 3 users
I’d say it’s definitely weird. I guess LinkedIn page views are pretty common, but follow requests seem sketchy. I bet most schools have a policy that prevents it

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It could happen (as it does with regular job interviews), but I admit that it can cross the "creepy" line.
I’d say it’s definitely weird. I guess LinkedIn page views are pretty common, but follow requests seem sketchy. I bet most schools have a policy that prevents it
I'd like to assume it was something good but it was definitely a little weird to see. I accepted it as I have nothing to hide/no red flags on social media but hoping to hear from this school soon to see if its associated or not. This individual has an extensive online network and appears to be very well known in their field (# of followers/following & LinkedIn connections) so maybe it's just broadening that network too?

Sounds weird. Dept Chair? Why is a Chair browsing Instagram? They are usually quite busy. Most schools have social.media policies and most faculty have very little social media interaction. I would not respond to such requests, esp if the request just came out of the blue. Doesn't pass the smell test.

Reactions: 1 users
They are most likely interested...but want to screen your social media for any red flags you may have on there...

This is why most med-students suddenly delete most of their old social media photos of them partying/drinking after getting accepted to avoid any scrutiny or judgement.

Suspect it is likely as Protein stated. There is often revealing background information in posts/social media which provides insight into the candidate.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a med student but I've been in mutual following with some of my school's faculty/research professors on social media for some time, just don't be a weirdo and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user