Any questions about NYCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycpmrep

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am here to answer questions about NYCPM, applying, interviews, student life

Members don't see this ad.

During the application procedure....
What was your undergrad stats (GPA/science GPA/MCAT score)?
How long after your interview did you find out that you were accepted?
How long after the application is complete does it take for NYCPM to start interviewing?
How many podiatrists did you shadow before applying to NYCPM?
And also, what made you, personally, choose the podiatric field?

And since you're in the school...
So far, how do you like it at NYCPM? I see that on some threads on this site, many people talk badly about NYCPM, burt of course with all the bad comments, there are also the good. So I think it's the best idea to ask someone who is actually in the school how it is rather than coming up with assumptions from people who never attended it.

Okay, thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
...i applied i got got the interview december 27th and i got a call on the 29th and i started school on Jan 2nd so it was very quick...
Sorry, but how can you state in one thread that the school is selective and has high average gpa when they interviewed and accepted you within a week of school starting?

hey nycpmrep, i have a few more questions. when did you apply, as in, how late? also, do you know when the application deadline for the january program is? how long after you submitted your application were you called for an interview? and did you shadow many times at each of the offices, or did you just go to each office once or twice? also, did you need a letter of recommendation from a podiatrist?

i also have a dilemma with my situation, and i'll ask you about it, although it might be better for me to ask an admissions counselor. but hey, i'll ask you anyway....
i am interested in applying for the january 2009 program. by the end of this spring 2008 semester, i will only have 62 hours completed. then, during the summer i will be taking three courses and their labs (4 hours for each course, 2 hours for each lab), which is equivalent to 18 more hours. so altogether i will have 80 hours completed. i will probably apply to nycpm in october or november, but as you see, i need at least 10 more credit hours before i can be granted an interview to nycpm. during the fall semester, i will most likely take 16-18 credits (that's what i usually take each semester), and so i will have over 90 hours completed. however, the fall semester ends around december 20th. if the january program starts on january 2nd, do you think i will have enough time for the admissions office to completely review my application? or do you think this is not enough time, and instead i should apply for the regular semester that starts in august/september? i really think that it is way more beneficial to start in january, so i hope i can somehow work it out.

i know this is a lot of stuff to read over, but if you can help me or give me your input, i would really appreciate it. and good luck at nycpm =]

hey nycpmrep, i have a few more questions. when did you apply, as in, how late? also, do you know when the application deadline for the january program is? how long after you submitted your application were you called for an interview? and did you shadow many times at each of the offices, or did you just go to each office once or twice? also, did you need a letter of recommendation from a podiatrist?

i also have a dilemma with my situation, and i'll ask you about it, although it might be better for me to ask an admissions counselor. but hey, i'll ask you anyway....
i am interested in applying for the january 2009 program. by the end of this spring 2008 semester, i will only have 62 hours completed. then, during the summer i will be taking three courses and their labs (4 hours for each course, 2 hours for each lab), which is equivalent to 18 more hours. so altogether i will have 80 hours completed. i will probably apply to nycpm in october or november, but as you see, i need at least 10 more credit hours before i can be granted an interview to nycpm. during the fall semester, i will most likely take 16-18 credits (that's what i usually take each semester), and so i will have over 90 hours completed. however, the fall semester ends around december 20th. if the january program starts on january 2nd, do you think i will have enough time for the admissions office to completely review my application? or do you think this is not enough time, and instead i should apply for the regular semester that starts in august/september? i really think that it is way more beneficial to start in january, so i hope i can somehow work it out.

i know this is a lot of stuff to read over, but if you can help me or give me your input, i would really appreciate it. and good luck at nycpm =]

Call the admissions office and talk to them.

212-410-8100

Sorry, but how can you state in one thread that the school is selective and has high average gpa when they interviewed and accepted you within a week of school starting?

I don't know about NYCPMrep's experience, but when schools know that they want an applicant, they get accepted pretty quickly. In my experience, I have no problem getting in because I had worked for a podiatrist as a trained medical assistant and x-ray tech. for two years. When I told them this, they were very impressed with my knowlege of the field on top of my good MCAT scores and undergrad GPA. I highly suggest for anyone applying to get experience in the field. Shadowing a doctor for a day does not do very much. Schools are looking for people who enjoy the field and know what it involves. Do your research and it will pay off.:rolleyes:

first off im pissed at how everyone disses nycpm..it's an awesome school..a lot of top podiatrist including dr. levine http://www.institutebeaute.com/dr_levine.htm graduated from nycpm who make seven figures a year. The classes, professors, and work load is still hard. It is by no means a joke at all. A lot of people who dont know anything about podiatry dont realize that you are in medical school and your work can't be taken lightly. I believe that's part of the reason why the drop out rate for pod schools is high. Also given that in 2008 everyone has to do the 3 yr residency (surgical), the boards have become really an almost mirror image to the usmle.
For everyone's information barry and cspm are the lowest pod schools out there not nycpm. A lot of ppl from barry transfer out of there to get into nycpm just b/c everything is soo disorganized and not together.
The positives of nycpm is that you dont have the typical dinguses at dmu so everyone is supportive and concerned about graduating than trying to be the biggest jerk ever. Yes the school is like 100 yrs old so naturally things aren't as new.

first off im pissed at how everyone disses nycpm..it's an awesome school..a lot of top podiatrist including dr. levine http://www.institutebeaute.com/dr_levine.htm graduated from nycpm who make seven figures a year. The classes, professors, and work load is still hard. It is by no means a joke at all. A lot of people who dont know anything about podiatry dont realize that you are in medical school and your work can't be taken lightly. I believe that's part of the reason why the drop out rate for pod schools is high. Also given that in 2008 everyone has to do the 3 yr residency (surgical), the boards have become really an almost mirror image to the usmle.
For everyone's information barry and cspm are the lowest pod schools out there not nycpm. A lot of ppl from barry transfer out of there to get into nycpm just b/c everything is soo disorganized and not together.
The positives of nycpm is that you dont have the typical dinguses at dmu so everyone is supportive and concerned about graduating than trying to be the biggest jerk ever. Yes the school is like 100 yrs old so naturally things aren't as new.

Seven figures a year. It's funny you felt compelled to write that.

It's attitudes like yours, that I wish I could deal without in professional school. You know the saying, "people in glass houses..."

You get so mad because people are talking low of NYCPM, but you turn right around and try to discredit other schools.

You are a real joke, do you even know anything about the USMLE?

If the students are like this at NYCPM, then thank the lord I turned down their interview.

You are a real joke, do you even know anything about the USMLE?

If the students are like this at NYCPM, then thank the lord I turned down their interview.

I interview at Temple, NYCPM, Barry, and was offered an interview at Arizona. I started at NYCPM this past Jan as a Jan. student. So far for the most part I have really enjoyed my experience here at NYCPM. I know a lot of people have said a lot of negative things about the school. Yes, the facilities are not brand new but it is not out dated. Daily, they are making changes to improve the conditions of the school. Yes, it is in Harlem, but it there for a reason in order to get people into the clinic for the students to practice on. Another problem with the school is that it also not apart of a major school but it is affiliated and credited by Columbia University and just about all of the professors come from Mt. Sinai's medical school. The professors and students here are great and very helpful.

But I do agree with my fellow classmate in saying I don't understand why so many people on the forum attack NYCPM. From what I was told students at NYCPM who have at least a GPA of 2.75 and higher have a 88% to 94% chance of passing their boards. From what I have seen with my short time in Pod School in order to become a great Pod is by hard work and you can be a great Pod at anyone of the eight and soon to be nine schools with hard work. I mean look at "Krabmas" who graduated from NYCPM and is at a top notch residency program and in fact Krabmas is in residency program I aspire myself to attend when I graduate from NYCPM. I guess all that I am saying is at least talk to the staff and students at NYCPM and visit the school before casting judgement.

Please remember that the opinions on this forum represents a small portion of Pod students.

I interview at Temple, NYCPM, Barry, and was offered an interview at Arizona. I started at NYCPM this past Jan as a Jan. student. So far for the most part I have really enjoyed my experience here at NYCPM. I know a lot of people have said a lot of negative things about the school. Yes, the facilities are not brand new but it is not out dated. Daily, they are making changes to improve the conditions of the school. Yes, it is in Harlem, but it there for a reason in order to get people into the clinic for the students to practice on. Another problem with the school is that it also not apart of a major school but it is affiliated and credited by Columbia University and just about all of the professors come from Mt. Sinai's medical school. The professors and students here are great and very helpful.

But I do agree with my fellow classmate in saying I don't understand why so many people on the forum attack NYCPM. From what I was told students at NYCPM who have at least a GPA of 2.75 and higher have a 88% to 94% chance of passing their boards. From what I have seen with my short time in Pod School in order to become a great Pod is by hard work and you can be a great Pod at anyone of the eight and soon to be nine schools with hard work. I mean look at "Krabmas" who graduated from NYCPM and is at a top notch residency program and in fact Krabmas is in residency program I aspire myself to attend when I graduate from NYCPM. I guess all that I am saying is at least talk to the staff and students at NYCPM and visit the school before casting judgement.

Please remember that the opinions on this forum represents a small portion of Pod students.

First of all, I never said one couldnt get a good education at NYCPM. Read my post again.
Second of all, look at your fellow classmate's post.

It's okay to have school pride, but discrediting other schools?

I am not discrediting other schools at the end of the day if you study hard and have the numbers you can get into anywhere from any school. All I am saying is that nycpm is not a joke institution and we do not allow just anyone in. This year we are cutting our class size to 80 ppl from the original 100 ppl a few years back in order to increase the quality of student entering.
The reason why i chose nycpm was b/c the ppl were really friendly, nice, and supportive. I wanted this type of environment b/c I came from a prestigous undergrad. program and hated everyday of it. Like I said it's w/e school that you fit best in. This is to say choose the one that you are more likely to be comfortable and succeed in. Don't just choose the school that everyone thinks is the most prestigous b/c the climate of ppl in there can get to some ppl and really hurt their academic progress.

Btw. i only mentioned Dr. Levine b/c she is the most influential female podiatrist to the field. This statement was made so that everyone can realize that you can still go as far as ppl from other institutions. When i first got on here i was just shocked on the discrediting that everyone was giving nycpm that's all. I realized later that they had no idea what they were talking about.

FYI I still thinks it's easier to get into barry than nycpm.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, I never said one couldnt get a good education at NYCPM. Read my post again.
Second of all, look at your fellow classmate's post.

It's okay to have school pride, but discrediting other schools?

I did not discredit any of the other schools. In fact, I said that you could become a great Pod at any of the schools with hard work. I said nothing negetive about anyone or any of the other schools.

I did not discredit any of the other schools. In fact, I said that you could become a great Pod at any of the schools with hard work. I said nothing negetive about anyone or any of the other schools.

I didnt say you discredited other schools, I was referring to daryoush85.

Sorry if I made that unclear.

..a lot of top podiatrist including dr. levine http://www.institutebeaute.com/dr_levine.htm graduated from nycpm who make seven figures a year...

...For everyone's information barry and cspm are the lowest pod schools out there not nycpm. A lot of ppl from barry transfer out of there to get into nycpm just b/c everything is soo disorganized and not together.
The positives of nycpm is that you dont have the typical ***holes at dmu...
Let me ask you a few questions:

-Do you equate a podiatrist's income with being a "top podiatrist"?

-Do you realize that many "transfer" students were academically dismissed at another pod program?

-Have you ever met any DMU students? Did you apply or interview there?

...My point in asking these questions is not to start an argument, and you don't even have to answer them. I just want to make you a bit more aware of the way you are sounding. You have been in school not even one month and are making some pretty abrasive statements. Podiatry is a small community, and there is no sense alienating yourself or dispariaging other schools/students.

You point to one well known NYCPM alumni, and that is fine. You will realize that making money in medicine is more about marketing and networking than actual skills (although it typically involves a good deal of both). Dr. Levine has good training and is reasonably well published, but views may differ as to whether a cosmetic foot doctor catering to celebrities is conscientious or making the most of her training. To each his own.

Also, there is no need to try to cut down other pod schools. I know for a fact that NYCPM has accepted multiple former Barry students who failed out here, and it could very well work both ways (my class had one guy who was dismissed from NY and allowed a second chance here, but he was gone after first semester). All of the schools could benefit from better applicants, but that is true in any profession. In the end, Dr. Agape was right when he said that strong graduates can (and have) come from any of the schools if the students have talent and apply themself.

Most of all, I see no need to use vulgar language to generalize about DMU students. As I recall from skimming a few of your past posts, you were a pre-dent who jumped into NYCPM January program late in the game, correct? Intuition would tell me that you probably didn't visit many schools since you were late in the game, and I fail to see how you can make a harsh blanket statement regarding the Iowa program. DMU is a well respected pod school, and I have been impressed by every one of their pod students and almuni who I've encountered.

As you will begin to see if you research a bit of the profession's history, podiatry runs into its fair share of political and legislative problems, and many of those are due to a small minority of DPMs pushing the limits of their scope (or, more often, their own training... and often for the sake of $) or quarrelling with the MD community to the point where the AMA or ACS has to get involved. You are certainly entitled to your opinions, but you don't always want to be such a loose cannon. It really doesn't help anything. Good luck at NY, and I'm glad you are excited about your school.

I read fora on ValueMD/SDN and I sometimes think to myself...how do so many people get to acting fools on the internet.

In the short amount of time I have been reading these topics, and from the multiple interviews I had last year, it's so easy to see that EVERY school has high and low points. We all know that. Getting into rows on SDN, where prospective students come for information, is unprofessional. I love hearing about what people think the highs and lows are for schools. However, speading hearsay defeats education. Use the knowledge you own about a program, not what you've heard.

We are ALL supposed to be professional colleagues soon. As much as we love our schools, I think a little respect from all of us, toward ALL pod programs, can only be beneficial. :hardy:

Ok stop debating which school is better. You know what they call a person who graduates from DMU and a person who graduates from Barry..........DOCTOR!

And if you're all about 7 fig salaries, you're in the wrong field. I suggest spending your tuition $$ on lotto tickets, you may have a higher chance :smuggrin:

Ok stop debating which school is better. You know what they call a person who graduates from DMU and a person who graduates from Barry..........DOCTOR!

And if you're all about 7 fig salaries, you're in the wrong field. I suggest spending your tuition $$ on lotto tickets, you may have a higher chance :smuggrin:

thanks cheetos........it's crazy how people are playing 5 year olds!!
pleaseeeeee stop ya'll! :scared:

I just wanted to clarify a few things about Dr. Levine, since her name has come up a few times on here.

1. she is well known, because she markets herself

2. she only does forefoot surgery.

3. she never did a residency.

4. she does not give back to NYCPM (this may be a mutual relationship)

5. She charges $500 a day for students to shaddow.

6. she is well known because she markets herself.

I would venture to say that Steinberg makes a similar amount of money compared to Levine w/out marketing.

If you want to be a doctor with a gimick/schtick then let Levine be your guide. If you want to be the doctor whose work speaks for itself then look for some one else to be your mentor.

The positives of nycpm is that you dont have the typical dinguses at dmu so everyone is supportive and concerned about graduating than trying to be the biggest jerk ever.

Well it's nice to see that you are clearly above the negative comments made about other schools that you claim to disapprove of. Way to rise above it. I would suggest that you wait until a little more of your podiatric medical education has transpired before spouting off about what makes your school so great.
I had the pleasure of working with Krabmas at APMSA meetings in the past and I can tell you that she is a great example of how an excellent student can come out of any school. That being said podiatry students need to be critical of the schools and constantly push them to improve. It is only natural for schools to be competitive and when it is done tastefully (ie not calling other people dinguses) it is not only healthy but provides a way for all of use to push the schools to improve in areas where they may be lacking.
Good luck at NYCPM. I hope that you prove everyone wrong by succeeding and loose the negative attitude in the process.

...(Dr. Levine) only does forefoot surgery.

3. she never did a residency...
Ok, that makes a bit more sense. I searched on Medline, and a "Levine SE" who published multiple foot and ankle papers (some with Mark Myerson) came up. I now realize that is Dr. Stuart Levine and I mistakenly gave her credit.

Upon searching again, I don't think Suzanne Levine is anywhere to be found in the literature, so I guess I have to retract what I said about her being well trained and published. I'm sure she is good at what she does, but "most influential female podiatrist to the field" was a pretty big stretch when there are folks like Molly Judge, Cherie Johnson, Stephanie Wu, and many other highly trained female DPMs out there.

Well it's nice to see that you are clearly above the negative comments made about other schools that you claim to disapprove of. Way to rise above it. I would suggest that you wait until a little more of your podiatric medical education has transpired before spouting off about what makes your school so great.
I had the pleasure of working with Krabmas at APMSA meetings in the past and I can tell you that she is a great example of how an excellent student can come out of any school. That being said podiatry students need to be critical of the schools and constantly push them to improve. It is only natural for schools to be competitive and when it is done tastefully (ie not calling other people dinguses) it is not only healthy but provides a way for all of use to push the schools to improve in areas where they may be lacking.
Good luck at NYCPM. I hope that you prove everyone wrong by succeeding and loose the negative attitude in the process.

You make some great points gusty!

To the pre-pods I would say from my experience it is important to not get get caught up in whose school is better than whose. I think when we were all pre-pods we did this though out of pride for our choice. But as you go along in school and meet others from different schools you realize that every school has great things to offer and that no school is perfect. I know my school isn't perfect. What is important is that you are happy with your choice and that when you are in school you work hard to become a good podiatrist. There is nothing wrong with being proud of your school. Just know others are proud of theirs too and that's alright. I have met fine people from every school who will be great podiatrists. Later the school to school competition dissapears and people are just worried about being good students rather than bragging about how great their school is. Being a good podiatrist will come more from personal choices in how you work in school and after, not by the school itself. No school can force anyone to be great. That is a choice.

period i dont want to hear any negativity about nycpm b/c it is comparable to the rest of the schools..it's Feli fault for just going out of his way to show that nycpm is a joke or something.

Whoa Whoa... you don't want to start with Feli ... he is one of the pillars of this forum...easy there bud .... pick on someone else if ya really really need to, which it seems you do...but not Feli...it shows you obviously have no respect for people on this forum that are trying to help...don't sink even lower than you already are for some of your comments...
You can be a great podiatrist anywhere you go no doubt...but i think the point of people talking down toward NYCPM is that there are indeed programs that perhaps show greater academic strength than nycpm...some programs have better facilities as well....its good that you have pride for your school but don't blame Feli .. he only tries to help!! ...maybe someone needs to close this thread because it's-a-starting-to-get-a-nasty!

:thumbup:

period i dont want to hear any negativity about nycpm b/c it is comparable to the rest of the schools..it's Feli fault for just going out of his way to show that nycpm is a joke or something.

you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. i wish the mods would just ban you.

you guys better be careful. He said he doesn't want to hear any negativity about his school ... period!

you guys better be careful. He said he doesn't want to hear any negativity about his school ... period!

I agree with him. NYCPM is the best school. I went there and ya'll said I turned out alright.

Just a hint of sarcasm.

In all honesty. The school has its strong points but those are deep down and not at the surface.

Every school graduates bright DPMs and every school graduates a few that should never have even started a program that will label them Dr.

I think this can be said for MD and DO schools as well. There are always a few that get through the cracks.

What ever school you go to I hope you like it and take advantage of all that school has to offer. It would be a shame for you to have chosen a school based on oppurtunities available and then not take advantage of them.

You make some great points gusty!

To the pre-pods I would say from my experience it is important to not get get caught up in whose school is better than whose. I think when we were all pre-pods we did this though out of pride for our choice. But as you go along in school and meet others from different schools you realize that every school has great things to offer and that no school is perfect. I know my school isn't perfect. What is important is that you are happy with your choice and that when you are in school you work hard to become a good podiatrist. There is nothing wrong with being proud of your school. Just know others are proud of theirs too and that's alright. I have met fine people from every school who will be great podiatrists. Later the school to school competition dissapears and people are just worried about being good students rather than bragging about how great their school is. Being a good podiatrist will come more from personal choices in how you work in school and after, not by the school itself. No school can force anyone to be great. That is a choice.

Blah, Blah Blah:laugh: Whats up my brother?

It would be nice to talk about something else.

I have an interview at New York College of Podiatric Medicine next week. How long should i expect the interview to last and what should i expect during the interview?

Also, any suggestions about places to stay. I prefer not to stay in a hostel as they have shared baths. I was looking at a Doubletree Metropolitan Hotel on Lexington Ave(got a good deal on hotels.com). It is close to a subway so i can take that to the school in the morning for the interview. Any suggestions?

I have an interview at New York College of Podiatric Medicine next week. How long should i expect the interview to last and what should i expect during the interview?

Also, any suggestions about places to stay. I prefer not to stay in a hostel as they have shared baths. I was looking at a Doubletree Metropolitan Hotel on Lexington Ave(got a good deal on hotels.com). It is close to a subway so i can take that to the school in the morning for the interview. Any suggestions?
You get interviewed by 3 people. Podiatrist, science faculty, and 3rd yr student. Pretty run of the mill questions. You will proably be there till around 11 or 12.

Search for the thread on NYCPM interview.

Typical stats of those accepted? Especially MCAT?

You get interviewed by 3 people. Podiatrist, science faculty, and 3rd yr student. Pretty run of the mill questions. You will proably be there till around 11 or 12.

i was interviewed a few weeks ago and by 2 people, not 3. i was interviewed by a 3rd yr and by a professor. they take you to lunch, give you a tour, shadow 4th years in the clinic, and talk to students and faculty. my interview was at 10, i was out at about 1:30ish.

You can pretty much stay anywhere in NYC because everything is just a train ride away. I suggest staying somewhere along the 4-5-6 line because the school is just a block away. You should be done by 2 or 3 the latest. Good luck!:D

Hi can anyone please post their experiences with the summer pre-matr program at NYCPM.

What are the pros of this program? Will it help you with your application process, not just to NYCPM but also to other programs?

What are the cons, if any of this 6 week program?

Did anyone in this forum attend this program? What are your thoughts?

Thanks

My opinion:
Summer Pre-Mat won't necessarily help you gain admission with any program...this program is more for YOU...gives YOU an idea of what you are getting into....will it help to get to know the admissions staff and see them on a near daily basis? sure ....but your stats get you in--nearly nothing else REALLY counts...you have the stats, your good....yeah it'll show commitment etc...but for pod school, stats outweigh everything by an incredibly HUGE margin...in fact, I would go on to say that some schools PROBABLY won't even look at your E.C.'s unless they REALLY need to find something on your application to give them reason to interview you....still , stats always win...

I'm glad I did it this past summer because it gave me a really good idea of what to expect in terms of workload in pod school and I actually learned a lot in the 6 weeks... so in that respect, for me, it was well worth it...

I am not a particular fan of NYCPM --after doing the program and after making my own observations...facilities, location, professors etc...the facilities are "sufficient" and the location is good for it's clinical purposes....but I'm just not a fan, flat out and honest...if I had the stats to chose wherever I went, NYCPM would not be on top of my list...(no disrespect to NYCPM'ers!)..Any of the 8 (soon to be 9) schools will provide sufficient training for you to succeed-no doubt...but I'm from a big city...I don't really like New York by comparison...fun for a weekend....not for 4 years...if it were a state of the art school with a really great reputation...I'd factor out it's location...
Thats completley my own opinion though so take all I said with a grain of salt as you would with everything posted on SDN...

Good Luck
:thumbup:

Thanks for that input wannabeDPM:thumbup: