Any reason to do only hepatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
without subsequent GI fellowship? E.g. if you just like liver issues.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't really like getting a job, that would be a pretty good reason to do hepatology alone.

Are there still programs that accept non-GI trained folks? I was under the impression that was going away (but could be wrong...it's an honest question).

Reactions: 1 user
Yes you can do hep without gi but its becoming tougher to do it vice versa, (transplant without the extra hep training). Some of those guys haven't touched scopes in years.

Members don't see this ad :)
No longer able to sit for the board exam. This is a dying path.

Generally the reason is that someone did an unaccredited liver fellowship in hopes of getting a GI fellowship and it didn’t work.

some big academic centers employ their own non accredited liver fellows in liver clinic to treat Hep C, cirrhosis, etx(Eg: Rutgers). It is also a bad sign that those ppl arent getting GI fellowship next year when they apply.

I wonder it Hepatology/Critical Care will ever become a thing.

It won’t.

I think Georgetown has a version of this, a LICU (probably named it for the lolz), run by a Liver Crit physician (not really sure this a thing).

Secondary question- thoughts practicing as a "General Hepatologist" without a Transplant year/ board certification?

There are lots of transplant ICUs. IM docs can collect as many certifications as they want and CC can be tacked on to other fellowships. But “a thing”...no