Any recommendations for Step 1 question banks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halmoni

*neuroticism intensifies*
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of starting some question banks this summer now that I'm done with M1. After having sampled a couple of questions from USMLE Rx, Kaplan, and Amboss, I personally thought that Kaplan was the easiest while Amboss was hard but had good explanations. USMLE Rx has been my least favorite so far, and it often feels like they're asking for esoteric details or there are too many pharm/path/micro questions mixed in that I haven't learned yet (I always filter out any subjects I haven't covered).

However, I feel like Rx is one of the most popular question banks and I've heard it's supposed to help with memorizing first aid. Is Rx really worth it? Would I be missing out if I opted to use only Kaplan, Amboss, and UWorld?

Members don't see this ad.

don't touch uworld until dedicated where you can do questions not filtered by subject. I think Amboss is probably the 2nd best, but I actually enjoyed Rx, it helped me really remember the little details of things so I didn't have to relearn them during dedicated. Did about 50 or so questions on Kaplan and didn't think it was the greatest thing

Reactions: 1 users
My method was Rx during block 6 and 7; UW 2x during dedicated

People say Rx isn't great but it gave me a strong pass of FA before even getting into UW.
I had a pretty healthy anki card review count each day starting OMS2 year so it wasn't just Rx that helped prep me hit the ground running with UW during dedicated.

Reactions: 1 user
I used the heck out of Rx during my first 2 years prior to big exam blocks.....it was hugely helpful.
But I have to say Uworld and TrueLearn were my main Qbanks during the home stretch......that and the NBMEs which started off awful and got better. I just got my Step 1 scores back today (10 days after I sat for the test no less)....and I scored very close to my predicted step 1 score.

So, going off the recommendations of many others and myself included,....use Uworld and one other quality Qbank during the 4-5 months leading up to step 1/level 1

Members don't see this ad :)
I used the heck out of Rx during my first 2 years prior to big exam blocks.....it was hugely helpful.
But I have to say Uworld and TrueLearn were my main Qbanks during the home stretch......that and the NBMEs which started off awful and got better. I just got my Step 1 scores back today (10 days after I sat for the test no less)....and I scored very close to my predicted step 1 score.

So, going off the recommendations of many others and myself included,....use Uworld and one other quality Qbank during the 4-5 months leading up to step 1/level 1
Did NBME's, UW assessments, or UW % best correlate with your real score?

Did NBME's, UW assessments, or UW % best correlate with your real score?

Yes...very closely. Predicted 243 +/- 10. I got a 241. I'm not even upset that it was lower than predicted. I'm aiming for EM and as far as I know a 241 will get me there provided my SLOE and step 2 scores are also good.

Yes...very closely. Predicted 243 +/- 10. I got a 241. I'm not even upset that it was lower than predicted. I'm aiming for EM and as far as I know a 241 will get me there provided my SLOE and step 2 scores are also good.
I'm asking which of the 3 corresponded best

Free 120 was nearly on the dot....UWSA2 was really close too. UWSA1 overestimated by 8 points

Free 120 was nearly on the dot....UWSA2 was really close too. UWSA1 overestimated by 8 points
So scratch the NBME's haha? I ask bc there seems to be a real gap in correlation btwn them (taken all free ones except 13) and my UW % and overall knowledge. Apart from that I heard the real deal feels more like a UW than an NBME exam.

Taking UW in a week and a half
NBME July 1st and UW July 5th

Exam is July 8th.

I mean.....I think they're worth while because they're board-style questions....if you take them with the timer on, then you're acclimating yourself to what test day will be like.....but Uworld also replicates that very well. I've heard from classmates that they had Free 120 questions show up on their Step 1 test....I can't say I saw the exact same questions, but there were a couple of very similar ones for sure.
The one thing I'd say Uworld didn't really do well is have questions that assessed auscultation skills. You're given a pair of headphones to wear during Step1/Level 1 for a reason....so you can see where that is going.
But yeah there was a lot of variability in how I scored on the various NBME exams...a few were truly awful and I can see why the questions were retired.

Reactions: 1 user