Any single parents applying to dental school....especially OSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mom2dr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering how many of you are single parents? Have any of you applied to OSU, and how are you going to deal with single parenthood and dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

I was a single parent during my undergrad a few years ago :oops: ...
How many children do you have and how old? During undergrad my oldest (now 14) was very flexible and easy going...now as a teen it is a different song and dance!

The biggest thing I learned then (and is true now)is that support from family (if you are near them) and friends is important...but you probably already know that.

You'll want good childcare because they will be your partner in helping to raise your child(ren) over the next few years. Listen to your gut and watch your child(ren). Spend a lot of time interviewing and pop in for surprise visits as time warrants. Decide what type of setting you want for childcare. I always started my DD in childcare about two weeks prior to school starting so I had flexibility in my schedule to pick her up and drop her off.

Childcare is only part of the many considerations you will be dealing with as you begin this new adventure together with your child(ren). Always, always keep your eyes on the goal, remember why you are becoming a dentist, take one day at a time. You will get through the next few years and nothing will feel more gratifying to look back on a job done well!

Thanks for the encouragement. My two sons are 11 and 15. They are actually going to be living with my mom while I'm in Columbus because I don't want to make them switch schools. It's only 1 1/2 hours away. I've prepared them for several years now. It's going to be tough, but the rewards will be great. I took them to the campus two weeks ago just to get them familiar with where I will be and so they know it isn't that far away.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the encouragement. My two sons are 11 and 15. They are actually going to be living with my mom while I'm in Columbus because I don't want to make them switch schools. It's only 1 1/2 hours away. I've prepared them for several years now. It's going to be tough, but the rewards will be great. I took them to the campus two weeks ago just to get them familiar with where I will be and so they know it isn't that far away.

do you already know if you're in ?

Heavens no! I have to wait until Dec. 4.(OSU) I just know it WILL happen. If not this year....next time. I never give up. Perseverence is my middle name :) Besides, after being in limbo for a few years, things have eerily been falling into place, so I have confidence that it means my time is soon! Good luck to everyone!

Heavens no! I have to wait until Dec. 4.(OSU) I just know it WILL happen. If not this year....next time. I never give up. Perseverence is my middle name :) Besides, after being in limbo for a few years, things have eerily been falling into place, so I have confidence that it means my time is soon! Good luck to everyone!

oh wow..that is the best way to think. I really hope that you get to start dental school at osu next fall. goodluck.

I love persistency, consistency and perseverence in a person...you'll get in, I am sure of it.
:)

I love persistency, consistency and perseverence in a person...you'll get in, I am sure of it.
:)

Thanks! I appreciate the encouragement. I hope I get in because it wouldn't be pretty for the admissions people to find me crying on their doorstep on Dec. 5....KIDDING! Good luck to everyone.......and GO BUCKS!

P.S. I've got my lucky buckeye in my pocket, so I'm definitely in :laugh: