Any six month fellowships out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Etomidating

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker on the forum. Finishing residency at a well known program. Starting a fellowship offcycle in January. Cant work or during the six months until fellowship starts as on a visa. Worried having a six month gap looks bad on employment record or licencing. Is it?

If anyone knows of any six month anesthesia fellowships anywhere, I would be very appreciative. If you don't wish to reply on the forum then please pm me.

Members don't see this ad.

You can't work at the hospital where you will start fellowship in January?

Cant work as an attending, no. Both my program and the fellowship both recommend I find a six month fellowship but I just can't seem to find much.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Long time lurker on the forum. Finishing residency at a well known program. Starting a fellowship offcycle in January. Cant work or during the six months until fellowship starts as on a visa. Worried having a six month gap looks bad on employment record or licencing. Is it?

If anyone knows of any six month anesthesia fellowships anywhere, I would be very appreciative. If you don't wish to reply on the forum then please pm me.

Weird situation, but there might be some opportunities for you. I’d contact some local big university-based programs and see if they have any “Advanced anesthesia” or non-accredited fellowships they’d be willing to take you for 6 months - such examples include Perioperative Medicine, Neuro anesthesia, research, simulation and informatics. Many will have you work part time as a full attending to help pay the cost.

I would ask around your program and see if they have any suggestions. I assume you already asked your home program about the possibility of staying on doing something and them sponsoring your visa?

This is mostly for people who already have a fellowship under their belt, but I know specifically several big-name places offer CV research and Peds CV rotations anywhere from 3-12 months. Not sure if they’d sponsor a visa for such a short time, though.

Reactions: 1 user
How 'bout 6mo. of Locums??
S/He can't. S/he's on a visa. Plus it's too late to get a work visa (H-1B) even for just one job. Plus I have a feeling s/he's on J-1, which is the crappiest visa one can have.

An immigration lawyer may (have) help(ed). Time is of essence here, and it's very late.

Reactions: 1 users
S/He can't. S/he's on a visa. Plus it's too late to get a work visa (H-1B) even for just one job. Plus I have a feeling s/he's on J-1, which is the crappiest visa one can have.

An immigration lawyer may (have) help(ed). Time is of essence here, and it's very late.

If this is the case and the OP graduates at the end of June I’d imagine there isn’t enough time to set anything up beyond his or her home program. It’d be a long shot even without visa problems.

Is a 6 month gap really going to look bad? Especially when you can explain it as an immigration/licensing issue prior to fellowship.

Reactions: 1 users

Can you travel home at all to visit family? Does your visa allow that?

Is a 6 month gap really going to look bad? Especially when you can explain it as an immigration/licensing issue prior to fellowship.

This is the big concern. Would this get me in trouble later on for having six months off to the state licencing boards or the ABA? Potential employers? What would be the ramifications of this gap down the line? I am not so much concerned about potential loss of income. Research is out of the question, visa sponsoring organization wont write for six months of research but will write for clinical based fellowships.

You are right FFP, J1 sucks

Last edited:
The gap is only a problem if you don't have an excellent reason to explain it. It sounds like you have a pretty good explanation. You have a delayed/off-cycle starting date for your fellowship and your J-1 Visa did not allow for you to work as a locums. Pretty good reason, in my opinion, and it can be explained in one sentence.
Enjoy your time off and start your fellowship rested and refreshed, and, hopefully, with your written boards passed and well prepared for the oral boards.

Reactions: 4 users