Any success stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bringinit247

one of the millions...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a member of this board for several months now. I have read countless stories of people who decide later on in life how they want to pursue medical school, and need to go back into a post-bacc program or whatever in order to catch up on all requisite coursework. I have heard so much about people wanting to go to med school and having the desire, but I have rarely (if ever) on this board heard of someone actually getting in after being a non-trad. This is not a knock on this board or anybody in it. But the other day I realized that I've heard more hopeful (and in some cases wishful) talk than I've heard retrospective success, "I actually did it" talk. So has anybody here actually made a decision later in life (senior year in college or later), taken the courses for med school, pharm school, etc. in a nontraditional manner, and then ACTUALLY GOTTEN IN?

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely!

I'm 34, studied engineering and got a B.S. and an M.S. Decided to become a physician and took biology and organic chemistry at night in a post-bacc program. In addition to classes I also did the required shadowing, clinical volunteering, etc. Took the MCAT twice.

So far I've been offered two allopathic interviews (interviewed at one, declined the other) and five osteopathic interviews (interviewed and was accepted at one, waiting to interview at a second one at the end of this month, and declined the other three).

I'll be a full-time medical student in 2004!

It took me about 2.5 years from the time I decided to apply to medical school to where I'm right now. It wasn't easy, but it was lots of fun and in the end it paid off. Not an unusual story. Many schools appreciate non-trads, especially if you show recent "proof" that you can handle the academics.

Good luck!

Success Story #2: :D

I graduated with a liberal arts degree (with a less than stellar GPA ;) ) 100,000 years ago, worked as a cartographer and from there became a software engineer, and several years later decided I wanted to change careers to become an optometrist. In the summer of 2001 I left my job to go back to school full-time, took 38 credits of pre-reqs in the next 3 semesters in a DIY post-bacc, and got accepted to the two optometry schools I applied to. I'm in my first year in optometry school, and will graduate in 2007!

Members don't see this ad :)
Long story short due to Path exam on Wednesday:

1994 Barely graduate college (on the 5 year plan)

1994-2000 Work in telemarketing, insurance, etc

2000-2001 Postbac, MCAT, applied to medical school

2002 Started medical school

2003 Now in second year of medical school

another success story:

I'm 35 with a bachelor's degree in anthropology & English, and no science courses as an undergrad. Went on to get a master's in Social Work & have been a professional social worker for 12 years. 2 years ago, I decided to go to med school & entered a post-bac program. I spent 2 years taking post-bac courses at night while working full time. I've been accepted to med school to start next year. :)

check out www.oldpremeds.com to find many more nontrads who have made it.

Really good stories. Please keep them coming. This gives everyone a chance to see the many paths that can be taken to achieve the common goal.

BS in Biomedical Engineering from Boston University in 1990.

Gpa - 2.5

Worked as a Clinical Engineer for 7 years.

Had two daughters and was a stay-at-home mom for 6 years.

Returned to school in 2001 to fufill med school prereqs at UCONN.

UCONN post-bacc program Sept. 2002 - May 2003.

Post-bacc gpa - 4.0

MCAT August 2002 11V 11PS 11BS Writing S

UCONN School of Medicine - Class of 2007!

It can be done!

It takes hard work, planning, and dedication, but yes, it can be done.

Graduated college w/ degree in social science '95. Worked and traveled, back to grad school for masters in soc science, rec'd in '01. Decided to go into medicine. Post bac studies through extension & CC for one year, worked, applied, and currently enrolled at UCD, class of 2007.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
PD

Undergraduate - 6 year super-extended plan with a major in Neurobiology and a minor is Screwup; barely a 3.0 gpa and about 15 W's on my transcript:clap::clap::clap:

Post-bacc - MCP Hahnemann (now Drexel): 1 year in the IMS program

MCAT - kicked a$$ 33T:D

UHS-COM - MSII

Never fear!

pallhaco doce your avatar rocks! Where do people get those?

By the way, voce^ fala portugues?

1994- graduate from state school with 3.2 gpa, major in Psych, minor in Sociology.

1994-2000 full time employment as clinical trials coordinator.

1994-1996 grad school for counseling psych. 36 credits done, 9 to go, but decided to quit- it was so boring! Decided med school was a better option.

1996-1997 DIY post-bacc at same state school. GPA 3.9.

1997- MCAT- V10, B8, P7 - OUCH.

1997- Nervous breakdown and lots of fear. Gave up on idea of med school for next 2 years, not because of MCAT... just a lot going on in my personal life.

1999- MCAT #2 - V9, B9, P11. Much better. Applications for 2000 sent out. Nervous breakdown over.

1999- Accepted in 3 out of 7 schools applied to.

2000- Started med school.

Today- Applying for residencies in Emergency Medicine.

:D

I doubt most non-trads who matriculated into a medical school come back to the Post-bacc student forum. I understand there are a few who do return, and for that we are forever indebted; however, maybe they moved onto bigger and better things, like the medical student forum. I am sure many would like nothing more than to discuss how they got to medical school, but is it possible they may be a little busy as a 1st year?

Originally posted by mjf
I doubt most non-trads who matriculated into a medical school come back to the Post-bacc student forum. I understand there are a few who do return, and for that we are forever indebted; however, maybe they moved onto bigger and better things, like the medical student forum. I am sure many would like nothing more than to discuss how they got to medical school, but is it possible they may be a little busy as a 1st year?

I manage to post in here every now and then and I am a second year!

ussdfiant,

I realize you post often, and once again, we are so thankful for the input from medical students! I was simply attempting to explain to "Bringit" a possible explanation for the lack of "success stories" in the forum. Thank you too all of you med students who offer advice when you do not need to. And to Bringit, keep your head up! If the statistics are a concern for you, quell your apprehensions with a visit to the "20 MCAT 2.1; Harvard 1st year" forums.

Originally posted by mjf
ussdfiant,

I realize you post often, and once again, we are so thankful for the input from medical students! I was simply attempting to explain to "Bringit" a possible explanation for the lack of "success stories" in the forum. Thank you too all of you med students who offer advice when you do not need to. And to Bringit, keep your head up! If the statistics are a concern for you, quell your apprehensions with a visit to the "20 MCAT 2.1; Harvard 1st year" forums.

Glad to help!

Attachments

• IMG_3207.JPG
    IMG_3207.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 55
Haha epic 13 year necrobump. Cali, you're free to share your story with an elaborate text post, but you should take down that link and pic to keep your anonymity on here. SDNers don't give away real names and faces.