Success stories from this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sharpieLIFE

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since this MD and DO application cycling is coming to a close...
Has anyone who has done an SMP have any success stories to share?
What SMP GPA did you have?
 
Since this MD and DO application cycling is coming to a close...
Has anyone who has done an SMP have any success stories to share?
What SMP GPA did you have?
It might be nice to consolidate some of these into one thread. If anybody has completed any of the following programs specifically, your input would be appreciated:

-Georgetown
-EVMS
-University of Cincinnati
-Tufts
-Boston University
-Tulane ACP
-VCU
-Toledo
 
Since this MD and DO application cycling is coming to a close...
Has anyone who has done an SMP have any success stories to share?
What SMP GPA did you have?
You might want to add MCAT score to the OP.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did the BU MAMS program and applied during the second year (thesis work only) of the program. I applied early-ish (mid-June) but procrastinated on a lot of the secondaries.
Undergrad GPA: 3.4 cGPA/3.0 sGPA (upward trend from dismal freshman year)
SMP GPA: 3.6
MCAT: 36
CA resident, ORM female

I really didn't do as well in the SMP as I should have, which definitely hurt my application since so many people in the program totally beast it. One of my friends had a 3.8+ GPA in the SMP (34 MCAT), applied the day AMCAS opened, and had ~7 interviews and 3 acceptances like two-three months into the cycle. That's what you should aim for!

Still, I am super psyched about how my cycle turned out. I had three interviews (BU, EVMS, and NYMC) and was accepted at NYMC and waitlisted at the other two. (Still keeping my fingers crossed for BU!) It's interesting that all of my interviews were at schools that have SMP programs. I think those schools are more likely to appreciate reinvention, even if you didn't do their specific program.

Hope this helps!
 
Last edited:
I did the BU MAMS program and applied during the second year (thesis work only) of the program. I applied early-ish (mid-June) but procrastinated on a lot of the secondaries.
Undergrad GPA: 3.4 cGPA/3.0 sGPA (upward trend from dismal freshman year)
SMP GPA: 3.6
MCAT: 36
CA resident, ORM female

I really didn't do as well in the SMP as I should have, which definitely hurt my application since so many people in the program totally beast it. One of my friends had a 3.8+ GPA in the SMP (34 MCAT), applied the day AMCAS opened, and had ~7 interviews and 3 acceptances like two-three months into the cycle. That's what you should aim for!

Still, I am super psyched about how my cycle turned out. I had three interviews (BU, EVMS, and NYMC) and was accepted at NYMC and waitlisted at the other two. (Still keeping my fingers crossed for BU!) It's interesting that all of my interviews were at schools that have SMP programs. I think those schools are more likely to appreciate reinvention, even if you didn't do their specific program.

Hope this helps!
Congrats!
 
I wish there was more feedback. Lol I need motivation that maybe my 3.4 SMP GPA will get me in somewhere