Any suggestions for physics studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobethegoat24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So physics has always been my worst subject. I just started studying for the MCAT and thought why not start with my weakest subject? (dont know if this is a good idea or not). But i am using the kaplan physics review book and I am having a difficult time studying using it and I kind of despise khan academy because he goes off on tangents about unrelated topics. Just wondering what worked for you as you are/were studying for the MCAT. By the way any one looking for a study partner, preferablly for the June/July/August test dates range message me, i need a study buddy. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So physics has always been my worst subject. I just started studying for the MCAT and thought why not start with my weakest subject? (dont know if this is a good idea or not). But i am using the kaplan physics review book and I am having a difficult time studying using it and I kind of despise khan academy because he goes off on tangents about unrelated topics. Just wondering what worked for you as you are/were studying for the MCAT. By the way any one looking for a study partner, preferablly for the June/July/August test dates range message me, i need a study buddy. Thanks
Are you sure you are in the right section of Khan Academy? I know that Sal goes off on tangents but the MCAT prep stuff was pretty on-target. If you are doing some physics-only thing on KA with Sal as the teacher I would drop that and go to the MCAT prep course where you had potentially thousands of people competing to offer the best content.

I can commiserate. While I don't have any great advice, I can say: do a chapter of something you're strong in every once in a while so you don't get burned out and too discouraged. But go back.

And practice problems, lots of them. I'm having a hard time finding practice problems, so if anyone has a cache of links to practice problems, OP and I would be so thankful.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
TBR passages!

I took physics 6 years ago and did terribly in it. Didn’t remember a thing when I started studying it in September. I felt very confident after using TBR.

It’s expensive, but worth it for the piece of mind of understanding it at the level TBR forces you to.

I realize I sound like a salesperson, but I truly feel like it prepared me.

Reactions: 1 users
TBR passages!

I took physics 6 years ago and did terribly in it. Didn’t remember a thing when I started studying it in September. I felt very confident after using TBR.

It’s expensive, but worth it for the piece of mind of understanding it at the level TBR forces you to.

I realize I sound like a salesperson, but I truly feel like it prepared me.
I suck at physics too & im honestly just going to wait till after I finish my other books to start reviewing it b/c I feel like I'm wasting too much time with it. I literally didn't learn anything in physics 1 besides kinematic since I was a crappy student freshmen year, but got an A in 2. I'm just wondering did you actually read the text for tbr physics? I feel like I'm trying to read a different language going through this book especially & it only kind of makes sense after I watch YouTube vids on whatever chapter I'm going through

I suck at physics too & im honestly just going to wait till after I finish my other books to start reviewing it b/c I feel like I'm wasting too much time with it. I literally didn't learn anything in physics 1 besides kinematic since I was a crappy student freshmen year, but got an A in 2. I'm just wondering did you actually read the text for tbr physics? I feel like I'm trying to read a different language going through this book especially & it only kind of makes sense after I watch YouTube vids on whatever chapter I'm going through

Yeah I read one chapter a day, slowly.

I also remember two of their chapters in particular not really making sense to me, so I supplemented with khan academy. I think it was their electrostatics chapter and their “light” chapter whichever one that is.

I have the kaplan book which i am trying to read but the information just doesn't make as much sense as the first time i took physics. I got an A in Physics 1 and B+ in 2. But my brain completely dumped out the information after I finished physics because I hated it so much.

Hi all --

Always keep in mind that MCAT physics is more about doing than it is about analyzing. This is why realistic practice is key -- the absolute gold standard is of course AAMC material, but as you move into third-party materials, it's also important to practice physics in the context of full-length exams or at least simulated C/P sections, b/c in reality you won't encounter a separate "MCAT physics" section -- instead, you'll encounter physics questions mixed in with chemistry, o-chem, and even some bio/biochem, so part of the skillset you need is being able to switch back and forth between (say) chemistry mode and physics mode within a single passage.

Of course you do need a certain level of conceptual understanding to be able to do physics problems effectively, but for the MCAT, it's often the case that the hardest part of a physics problem is understanding what exactly the question is asking and how to leverage passage info to get a plausible answer. Once you have that insight, setting up the actual equations is usually pretty simple. The MCAT doesn't tend to favor long, extremely complex physics setups like you might have seen in class, and it definitely doesn't reward being able to regurgitate theoretical information.

So practice, practice, practice -- and review! When you get a problem wrong, ask yourself why. If it's a conceptual physics issue, you'll be able to review it much more effectively in light of a problem that you just missed. If it's a passage comprehension/strategy issue, you'll be able to address that more specifically.

I 100% agree with Adeline here. The TBR physics books were worth their weight in gold. I absolutely loved the text, because it got right to the heart of solving questions with plenty of examples. That was helpful for me. The tricks they present, especially in physics, were super helpful. I can solve any multiple choice kinematics question in a few seconds. I never understood lenses and mirrors any better than when I was studying from their book. But the text is not where you make your gains. It's in the passages. Make sure you do ALL of the phases for every chapter. Only with practice can you master physics passages and questions.