Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Any Suggestions for School Choice?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Junior9999, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Junior9999

Pre-Medical
    Hello,

I am a graduate student with biological sciences major. I want to apply to pharmacy school in this cycle. I just finished my pcat last week (Sept 07). I have 3.7 gpa and 77 composite pcat raw score (decent scores in Biology, Chemistry and Quantitative). I have between 80 and 100 volunteer hrs in pharmacy and emergency department and others community volunteer hours as well. I might have weak Letters of references and no research experience in school. Letters of references are coming late as well and probably ready in November or end of October.
    I would like to know where I stand in the applications and which schools I should apply with my status. Also, how different is pcat raw score and actual pcat score coming out in 5 weeks? I am living in California and I don't mind traveling out of state, but I prefer any California schools with less weight on references.

Please give me any suggestions and I would really appreciate with ur help.
    Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DOOM N GLOOM

How about DeVry University College of Engineering?

Low cost, good job outlook, keeps you in CA. What more could you want?

4. BC_89

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Your overqualified..look into MD/DO, RRT, PA, etc etc. if your not sure what I mean just browse the forum.

If your really set on this all you do is apply to the CHEAPEST and FULLY ACCREDITED institution.

Ximilara likes this.
  5. Junior9999

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for ur suggestion! I already looked into other programs. Especially with medical schools, I already tried mcat, and I have no option to wait for another year to get into medical school. This is the last decision I made for my career choice. I read other posts about jobs saturation for pharmacy graduates. I know how it is and I have been there after my bachelor degree. Anyway, it is always better with Phd under your belt with big loans rather than others with no degree at all.

6. Junior9999

Pre-Medical
    Thank you. I love medical field though. :)

7. stoichiometrist

7+ Year Member

If you do decide to go into pharmacy do consider it a one way ticket out of California due to the extreme saturation in the state. Even if you do get into a school in California (mostly overpriced anyway) you will most definitely have to move out of state to the Midwest or South to find a job.

8. Junior9999

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for ur suggestion! I would move out anyway. Just wanna know some opinions about some schools admissions and where people have been applying to get in with average status. :)

9. Saisri_PharmStdnt

Saisri_PharmStdnt Class of 2023

Pharmacy Student
  10. Peterpiper1

Got to medical school man, what are you doing?

11. Junior9999

Pre-Medical