any suggestions....

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
These past few days everytime I am about to examine a patient whether it is slit lamp evaluation or during the subjective refraction, patients cell phones ring constantly. I try to be polite and accommodating and tell them answer it if is important. Some talk for a few seconds, others talk for 3-4 minutes. After they are done talking, I proceed with the exam and so fore. Some apologize saying sorry Doc, I had to take it while others carry on minutes later after they had their first talk. Soemtimes, I feel like walking out of the exam room and telling them -I'll be back when you are done but I can't do that. i have more respect for myself. This shows me disrespect and no concern for me as a professional. Few weeks ago, I had a man in his mid fifites talking to his financial advisor about what to do next with his portfolio. I just sat there listened to him and after 5 minutes or I carried on in a professional manner with the exam. i was so angry but i don't know at whom? I felt degraded. Any advice on how to handle some of these rude patients? Any input is welcomed. Has anyone delt with this before? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

A few of the ways the people I know deal with it:

1. Just ignore it and don't let it bother you (only a few people I know can do this).

2. Whine about it to the staff to get it off your chest (OK, so we do this with anything that bothers us about every patient).

3. At the end of the exam, tell them they have to come back to finish the exam because you didn't have time to complete it (I only know one doctor who does this).

4. Work out right after you get off; punching the stuffing out of a bag is a good way to work off some steam, and the adrenaline from your anger will make you faster and stronger if you're playing sports.

5. Buy one of those cellphone blockers that churches and other places use so nobody's cell phone will work in the office (this would be good to keep the staff from being on them all the time, too).

6. Say, "Whew; now if I miss some horrible eye-mangling disease, at least I won't feel as bad because you made me rush through the exam, so it will be your fault, not mine."

7. Put it in their file so when they come in next year you can sit in the lobby where they can see you and talk on your cell phone for the first 5 minutes of their scheduled time.

8. Say something along the lines of, "If you wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate it if you would turn your cellphone off. We have a lot of tests to do and we're running a little bit behind now." Or something else that makes them realize they were being somewhat rude and also hurting themselves by preventing you from doing as thorough exam as you would like, without getting them pissed off enough to not come back in the future.

The best one we had was a patient who not only answered her cell phone three separate times during a single exam but also chatted a few minutes each time. And this was with doctor to whom etiquette was extremely important. I have never seen "stormed out of a room" as perfectly exemplified as when the doctor came out after that exam; we honestly thought she was going to break her clipboard over somebody's head.

One of the doctors I know just leaves the room and goes off to do other stuff he has to finish -- charts, other paperwork, etc. -- and leaves the patient to wait for him for awhile. Not too easy to do in a busy practice, but quite satisfying when you can do it. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I only have one exam room so I can't just walk out to see another patient, unfortunately. I have signs ALL OVER my office about turning your cell phone off so the doctor "can give you their undivided attention". It seems to be working... happens much less than it used to.

Most of the time if it rings and they actually answer it.. I just keep going. I can talk over them until they get the hint that they're being EXTREMELY rude. Most people turn them off if they ring and apologize, but we do get a few winners who actually keep answering them. I just keep talking.. if they're time is more important than mine then they get whatever crappying rx I'm giving them while I try to talk over their conversation.

Have your staff call you on your cell phone the next time this happens. Then turn to the patient and ask do you mind? Answer the call and then talk about stupid stuff like the weather, the kids, golfing/cooking whatever.

See how they react!

i think it depends what part of the exam you are doing but i have had patients whose cell phone rings while they are behind the slit lamp or while i am doing bio or somehting and i just dont stop to let them answer it. another thing is to get women to hang up their purse on a hook on the wall that is not within reaching distance from your chair. just dont let them get up! most patients i have had are really apologetic when their cell goes off... esp when everyone has to listen to their annoying ring for 2 min cause i dont stop to let them answer it. another thing to try is whoever takes them back to the room tell them to please turn off their cell phone now???

Tell the patient that you will be back.. go see another patient and come back. This can work without causing delay to the rest of the schedule flow if you are seeing 3-4 patients an hour.

I don't think a standardized answer is possible. I think it all depends upon the stage of the examiantion and whether you're on time or not.

Generally, I don't care if they answer it. Unless I'm removing a corneal foreign body, I let them answer it. Most often, the patient will ask that the caller return their call at another time. I don't think I've had anybody sit for 5-10 minutes and just chat in front of me.

Whether someone interrupting you or not during your examination is really at issue. If you're the type that demands the doctor image and don't want to be disturbed for any reason, then that's one way. But I practice in a hospital and I will never ignore a page from the ER and I'll go to the phone to talk to the ER while doing an examination on someone. If someone sticks a prescription for refill, it is better that I sign it then and there than to face the pile of stuff at the end of the day.

Just another thought on this.

Thanks everyone for your input. All good ideas and I will certainly try them.