Any SW 's out there making 80-90K and above? Please share and respond!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skywalking1990

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am entering into an MSW program and want to eventually get my LCSW...I am in NYS area. However, I have a wife/kids, debt and would appreciate those within the field that are making a good salary within the field 80-100K etc. to share how they got to that point in their career (what areas of SW to focus on, how long it takes etc). I will TRULY appreciate your advice.

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I think you may be asking in the wrong forum since we're all doctoral level (or students going the doctoral route). For what it's worth though, I know quite a few MSWs and it is incredibly unusual for an MSW to make that salary range. In my area, starting and average salaries are more like $40k-$60k. I know of one person making probably about $75, but this is a person who owns her own practice and gets income from other MSWs who are working in her clinic. So, that may be your best bet for the highest salary, although she's been in business for over 10 years. Good luck!

Hi I am entering into an MSW program and want to eventually get my LCSW...I am in NYS area. However, I have a wife/kids, debt and would appreciate those within the field that are making a good salary within the field 80-100K etc. to share how they got to that point in their career (what areas of SW to focus on, how long it takes etc). I will TRULY appreciate your advice.

thank you

VAs in high cost of living areas, own and substantially develop your own clinical practice, leadership position in the health insurance industry.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That range will be difficult to hit unless you are running your own private practice and seeing a mix of insurance and cash pay patients. It can be done, but not likely working for someone else.

Erg has most of the avenues covered. I would add supervisor for large nursing home/regional area. However, these are high burnout positions. To make that kind of money, you will have to not be a social worker. Rather, a supervisor, admin, therapist, business owner, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
By therapist you mean LCSW-psychotherapist route?

Erg has most of the avenues covered. I would add supervisor for large nursing home/regional area. However, these are high burnout positions. To make that kind of money, you will have to not be a social worker. Rather, a supervisor, admin, therapist, business owner, etc.

Yes, the psychotherapist route. Realize to make the stated income, you are likely running your own business.