acceptmeforwhoiam

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2018
Hello,

I'm a D1 and I've been through a lot since school started back in July. I don't have any support groups and I've been mentally struggling a lot. I started getting counseling from the school counselor but I still feel really down frequently. I've looked into the option of transferring out but it's extremely hard. Also, my school goes almost year-round with just one or two weeks of summer break, so I just can't imagine myself being in this situation (almost) non-stop for the next 4 years. My counselor strongly recommended me to transfer out or to take some time off.

The vice dean, director of student life, and some other faculties are aware of my situation because I seek for help and talk to them about my problem. I'm doing fine academically.

I already asked the vice dean if I can take a year off after my first year and he said he needs to talk to couple other people about it.
Since coming to dental school, because I struggled so much adjusting to the area, finding support groups, and getting used to the school system, I totally lost myself -- my goal, etc. I think taking a year off will really benefit me in a lot of ways. I'll spend time doing what made me feel alive, spend time with my family and friends who support me, and just relax. I can't think of myself going through school for the next 4 years and start working right after that. I feel like this would be my last long vacation before I start working in the real world. My parents are paying my tuition so I don't have to worry about interest accruing.

Reactions: 1 user

macsak

2+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2018
Hello,

I'm a D1 and I've been through a lot since school started back in July. I don't have any support groups and I've been mentally struggling a lot. I started getting counseling from the school counselor but I still feel really down frequently. I've looked into the option of transferring out but it's extremely hard. Also, my school goes almost year-round with just one or two weeks of summer break, so I just can't imagine myself being in this situation (almost) non-stop for the next 4 years. My counselor strongly recommended me to transfer out or to take some time off.

The vice dean, director of student life, and some other faculties are aware of my situation because I seek for help and talk to them about my problem. I'm doing fine academically.

I already asked the vice dean if I can take a year off after my first year and he said he needs to talk to couple other people about it.
Since coming to dental school, because I struggled so much adjusting to the area, finding support groups, and getting used to the school system, I totally lost myself -- my goal, etc. I think taking a year off will really benefit me in a lot of ways. I'll spend time doing what made me feel alive, spend time with my family and friends who support me, and just relax. I can't think of myself going through school for the next 4 years and start working right after that. I feel like this would be my last long vacation before I start working in the real world. My parents are paying my tuition so I don't have to worry about interest accruing.

wow

About the Ads

Kobethegoat24

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
this is a very hard question and i have no helpful answer but please know you are loved and there is much more to you than just being a dental student. any family or old friends you can reach out to at all? please take care of your self

Jan 7, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
Did you go straight through school undergrad then dental and are feeling a bit burned out?
I'm kind of curious about your age too--it might also be a factor in your situation.

If you can take a leave of absence please do it. (speaking from personal experience, a year of a break can really help you realize a lot of things and put a **** ton of things into perspective--you'll realize how much you had and you'll mature(?) a bit more / be able to handle tough situations just due to more life experience(?))

But if you can’t, you gotta keep going and just think of each day as just that.
Take it DAY by DAY. STEP by STEP.
ONE STEP at a time.
Be present with each day.
Don't overthink and think about the future or about feeling 'trapped' in this schooling hell. I will guarantee you that talking to my working friends, life eases up. You will have time to do things you want to do even if you work.

But please please please don’t give up.
School is not real life. Hell, Dental school is far from real life.
Remember that.
So it’s okay to feel what you are feeling and I can guarantee a few of your classmates feel the same but they won’t say anything bc of stigma about mental health.

You just gotta keep going. Don’t overthink if that’s what’s triggering some feelings.
It might feel like an endless cycle, but you got this far because you have it in you.
You are very capable.

So think in more broader terms. Put things into perspective and don’t focus too much on the 'self' that's centered too much inward if you know what I mean. Might sound cheesy, but balance is key and don't forget to open your mind/heart and simply let some unimportant things or energy sucking feelings go. Feeling lost is part of life and well, it’s time to grow up and not run from tough situations/hurdles/feeling down. It’s a big part of growing up and handling whatever **** life throws at you.

Just think about your next step FOR THE DAY. Today, I need to do ____. Then after ____, I need to do ____. and then focus on the task in itself. Or that you’ve finished 1/8 semesters—one down just seven more to go. YOU’RE ALMOST THERE. ONE STEP AT A TIME. not future! PRESENT.

Find a support group outside of school, like a community outside of dentistry.
It'll help you take a break from everything dental.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Jun 2, 2015
Status
  1. Dental Student
Based on your post, I would encourage a leave of absence if they agree to it. If you have been clinically diagnosed with something, it may help you make your case to admin. You also need to exaggerate your love of dentistry (real or not), because admin is weighing whether you will return after a year off. They are very afraid you will not return after taking a year off.

Ja1z0z8

2+ Year Member
May 16, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
Did you go straight through school undergrad then dental and are feeling a bit burned out?
I'm kind of curious about your age too--it might also be a factor in your situation.

If you can take a leave of absence please do it. (speaking from personal experience, a year of a break can really help you realize a lot of things and put a **** ton of things into perspective--you'll realize how much you had and you'll mature(?) a bit more / be able to handle tough situations just due to more life experience(?))

But if you can’t, you gotta keep going and just think of each day as just that.
Take it DAY by DAY. STEP by STEP.
ONE STEP at a time.
Be present with each day.
Don't overthink and think about the future or about feeling 'trapped' in this schooling hell. I will guarantee you that talking to my working friends, life eases up. You will have time to do things you want to do even if you work.

But please please please don’t give up.
School is not real life. Hell, Dental school is far from real life.
Remember that.
So it’s okay to feel what you are feeling and I can guarantee a few of your classmates feel the same but they won’t say anything bc of stigma about mental health.

You just gotta keep going. Don’t overthink if that’s what’s triggering some feelings.
It might feel like an endless cycle, but you got this far because you have it in you.
You are very capable.

So think in more broader terms. Put things into perspective and don’t focus too much on the 'self' that's centered too much inward if you know what I mean. Might sound cheesy, but balance is key and don't forget to open your mind/heart and simply let some unimportant things or energy sucking feelings go. Feeling lost is part of life and well, it’s time to grow up and not run from tough situations/hurdles/feeling down. It’s a big part of growing up and handling whatever **** life throws at you.

Just think about your next step FOR THE DAY. Today, I need to do ____. Then after ____, I need to do ____. and then focus on the task in itself. Or that you’ve finished 1/8 semesters—one down just seven more to go. YOU’RE ALMOST THERE. ONE STEP AT A TIME. not future! PRESENT.

Find a support group outside of school, like a community outside of dentistry.
It'll help you take a break from everything dental.

Would it be alright if you can pm me? I have some questions to ask if you don't mind!

Ja1z0z8

2+ Year Member
May 16, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
Hello,

Would it be alright if you can pm me? I have some questions to ask if you don't mind!

2TH MVR

Orthodontist
2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2017
North Scottsdale, Arizona
Status
  1. Dentist
Stay the course. It goes fast actually. Once you start to see REAL patients .... then everything gets real interesting and you realize why you've worked so hard to get to this point. The 1st 2 yrs of DS is completely different from the last 2 yrs. As you enter the last 2 yrs .... then there is the NEW excitement of where you will work. I personally after so many years in school could not wait to actually MAKE MONEY. Any money.

Also if you wait a year .... I would believe that the "social" issues you describe now would be WORSE in a new class that knows your situation.

Be patient. Find an outside passion. During D2-4 .... I played golf and tennis with classmates. During D4 .... I had a small PT job.

Just stay the course and it will get easier.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads