Any tips for "Additional Comments" Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minerva3121

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd start this thread since the one about the "Why This School?" question received lots of great responses. I know there are already a few old threads covering this topic, but they only had about 5 posts.

First, I'm assuming it's strongly advised to write something, even though it's technically optional. No response = indication of laziness and/or lack of interest in school?

Second, what topics should be covered if we choose to write something? I've heard suggestions like

-Explain why you're interested in this school
-Explain why you dropped a course or why you got bad grades for certain semester(s)
-Explain what unique aspects you have to offer to the school
-Go into more details about an EC or experience that wasn't fully covered in your PS or AMCAS activites section

Any other ideas about what should be covered?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's more for explanations about poor grades and unique stories. If a student was dealing with a death in the family or spent time growing up on a boat or something. If it adds something to your app not discussed elsewhere then add it. Don't feel like forcing something or copy-pasting the school's mission statement on the optional essays just to "not look lazy."